iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,196 of 5,923
If you want the perfect streamer, wait for Apple to launch one. Good luck getting it for $400.

If Chromecast is essential for you, don't buy the Stream, not yet. It is that simple. A year ago I was looking at getting the new Bluesound Node, waiting anxiously for it to be launched. Then I found out that the USB output, essential for my system, will be available via a future update so I forgot about it. That feature is still not available today, some 10 months after launch. What was I to do, buy one and then whine on their forum every other day about it?

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #3,197 of 5,923
If you want the perfect streamer, wait for Apple to launch one. Good luck getting it for $400.

If Chromecast is essential for you, don't buy the Stream, not yet. It is that simple. A year ago I was looking at getting the new Bluesound Node, waiting anxiously for it to be launched. Then I found out that the USB output, essential for my system, will be available via a future update so I forgot about it. That feature is still not available today, some 10 months after launch. What was I to do, buy one and then whine on their forum every other day about it?
@sabloke at least in my case I think we are talking about a different situation: zen stream can not play DSD256 files correctly despite being marketed as capable of it. Nowhere on ifi site can I find an information it is a planned functionality not available yet.

I'm not looking for a perfect streamer - for that I already have nearly perfect Lumin. I want a product that does what is has been advertised for. As simple as that. The price argument is completely failed one as I do not have any impact on ifi pricing policy.

Last but not least there is a huge difference between whining and discussing issues we have with a product we have bought. There is also another reason why I am discussing those issues here - ifi up to this day haven't fixed Pro iDSD streaming issues apparently so I want to know if the same situation will happen with zen stream, especially considering current lifespan of ifi products.

To make the picture complete: please take into account that I am not "whining" about ifi Pro iCan which I still consider great product. Is it flawless? No. Do i expect it to be flawless? No. Does it delivers what has been promised? In my case: yes. For those who do not understand this simple point of view please accept my apologies for taking up your time and be assured that I rest my case.

Apparently ifi zen stream is like Poly for Mojo: for some works for others it can a nightmare unfortunately. For potential buyers this is important information that this product may not work as expected. There will be always a subset of early adopters willing to invest time to test bleeding edge, beta software, but there are also people who like things to simply work as advertised without much fiddling.

As a side note: I find it quite odd, that all those problems that hit casual users were never uncovered by so-called "professional reviewers".

Now going back to listening musing and comparing different dacs pairing with Pro iCan :) This will be great evening and I wish you all exactly the same :)

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #3,198 of 5,923
Zen Stream CAN play DSD256 over Wi-Fi in my case, all day long. What are you taking about?

1641857820968.png

Same story in Roon, it will play anything up to DSD256 or even mp3 up-sampled to DSD256, just for giggles :)

Attachments

• 20220111_100534.jpg
    20220111_100534.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #3,199 of 5,923
Gentlemen please help, I was planning to buy an iGalvanic as an upgrade to my PC Audio. Currently I have IDefender "+ iSilencer +" in the USB circuit. I wonder if it would be better to buy ZEN Stream. Is the sound from the ZS much better on the PC. I use Roon for Tidal Master.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #3,200 of 5,923
Gentlemen please help, I was planning to buy an iGalvanic as an upgrade to my PC Audio. Currently I have IDefender "+ iSilencer +" in the USB circuit. I wonder if it would be better to buy ZEN Stream. Is the sound from the ZS much better on the PC. I use Roon for Tidal Master.
The Zen Stream sound quality level is way better than a PC could ever hope to reach. I have spent money on USB cables and USB filtering, what a waste. Nothing isolates your DAC better form a PC than not having to connect to it at all. Plus, with Roon, your PC can be anywhere in the house since there are no wires worry about. Keep your PC in the home office where it belongs and enjoy the highest quality sound in your listening room, controlling playback with your phone Roon app.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #3,201 of 5,923
Depends on how “noisy” your PC is but, yes, in my case, moving from transmitting from Roon over PC USB to my DAC to Roon to Zen to USB to my DAC audibly improved sound quality and removed some noise artifacts particularly for higher sample rate streams.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,207 of 5,923
Zen Stream CAN play DSD256 over Wi-Fi in my case, all day long. What are you taking about?

1641857820968.png

Same story in Roon, it will play anything up to DSD256 or even mp3 up-sampled to DSD256, just for giggles :)
@sabloke Not in my case Sir. Both with Rockna WaveLight and Hugo TT2. The sound breaksdown in random time intervals. Played a bit with different settings including buffer size but it makes it even worst. This happens during playback from usb storage using ifi app and ethernet cable.

Anyway I am glad it works for you :) Maybe one day after few more updates I will find time to try it again. I am not a Roon user so I can not comment on how zen stream works with it.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #3,208 of 5,923
@sabloke Not in my case Sir. Both with Rockna WaveLight and Hugo TT2. The sound breaksdown in random time intervals. Played a bit with different settings including buffer size but it makes it even worst. This happens during playback from usb storage using ifi app and ethernet cable.

Anyway I am glad it works for you :) Maybe one day after few more updates I will find time to try it again. I am not a Roon user so I can not comment on how zen stream works with it.
Something wrong with your network by the looks of it. You must be the only one with this issue from what I know.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #3,209 of 5,923
Something wrong with your network by the looks of it. You must be the only one with this issue from what I know.
Hi everyone,
I am a stream user for several weeks and have unsolved problem. I mainly use spotify.

When wired connected and wifi connected (fixed IP in the network config), from time to time, I have the music stop then restart then stop then restart for good. The scenario is random. It's happened on usb and spdif. I tried ti change usb cable, the DAC (topping D70 or smsl M300). The same happens. When the stop happens, the light on the stream is green.
The version is 2.30.6

When I tried to disconnect the wired cable to function on wifi, the stream doesn't want to connect on the wifi (red light) : need to use the hotspot option (why, wifi was allready configurated).
When I cancel the wifi on the stream, spotify connect is nomore available on spotify app on Ipad or PC.

The version 2.30.5 (or 6) improved : I can connect to spotify connect but I allways have the random disconnection.

PS : I am from France so my english isn't so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back