iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #2,987 of 5,865
I stream Qobuz and Tidal hi-res (up to 24 bit / 192khz) with upnp via WiFi. I use mconnectHD as the controller app. I want to get a new streamer and I’m interested in the Zen Stream. Does anyone have experience of this usage scenario with the Zen Stream?

Dec 30, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,988 of 5,865
I stream Qobuz and Tidal hi-res (up to 24 bit / 192khz) with upnp via WiFi. I use mconnectHD as the controller app. I want to get a new streamer and I’m interested in the Zen Stream. Does anyone have experience of this usage scenario with the Zen Stream?
Zen stream sounds great but the software side need a bit of work especially for Spotify connect using usb.

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,989 of 5,865
I am android user still waiting for qobuz support, tidal works great.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,990 of 5,865
My 2 cents...The Zen stream is very confusing to get set up and working from day 1.The whole log into IF I as your network confused the he'll out of me.Under WiFi on my iPad,I was never sure what to choose,my home network,or IF I,if it happened to appear as an option. Then if I managed to open the web browser,I was not sure if I should enter my network password,or create a new one for the If I. Coming from Naim streamers that just work when you plug them in,this thing is a nightmare.
I got it working with Roon,but I feel like without Roon I would still be lost.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #2,991 of 5,865
I use Qobuz with MconnectLite and MconnectHD. I have the following observations:
1. Every time I finish listening I have to clear the play queue or it won’t play next time.
2. when I pause or stop mid album to re start I have to clear the play queue start the album again at the beginning and skip through to the track I want. Failure to do this results in drop out.
3. it will still drop out say once an hour or so.
4. it sounds great when it plays.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,992 of 5,865
Does anyone get constant loops while running the configuration wizard? When I hit the tailor your user experience it's just loops back to the beginning, not able to actually select anything and brings you back to the beginning.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,994 of 5,865
Does anyone get constant loops while running the configuration wizard? When I hit the tailor your user experience it's just loops back to the beginning, not able to actually select anything and brings you back to the beginning.
Yes,that is what I used to get constantly.As per my post above,I would get to a certain point and it would kick me back to the start again. Anyone who does not work in IT,or grew up using computers (me) can be confused easily setting this thing up.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #2,995 of 5,865
@Sebastien Chiu , a lot of us are not able to select USB output in the stream although it is connected to a DAC in USB input. We have tried many DAC and cables without succes. The issue is in ZS. Is this a known SW or HW issue? if we are not able to use USB out, then it is a big issue for us
I think you have to plug the dac in the bottom USB port. Are you using that one out of the 2 on the back of the zen?

Dec 30, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,996 of 5,865
My wifi connection keeps dropping out with latest firmware build. Even though the router is 2 meters away and signal is strong. Using a TP link eth to wifi adapter into the ZS then connection to the stream-fi app is stable. Odd.

Can confirm spotify connect works (along with tidal connect) if using spdif out from the ZS instead of usb. I'll just bypass my gustard u16 ddc for now. Haven't AB'ed between spdif out straight into the dac vs usb out into the ddc into dac via i2s. But spdif outside sounds decent. Perhaps just happy able to listen to my spotify playlists again!

Dec 31, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #2,997 of 5,865
I use Qobuz with MconnectLite and MconnectHD. I have the following observations:
1. Every time I finish listening I have to clear the play queue or it won’t play next time.
2. when I pause or stop mid album to re start I have to clear the play queue start the album again at the beginning and skip through to the track I want. Failure to do this results in drop out.
3. it will still drop out say once an hour or so.
4. it sounds great when it plays.
Thanks for sharing your observations. I'm giving the Zen Stream a go as I've also read that it sounds great. I'll return it if I run into major issues.

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,998 of 5,865
Hello,
Switching usb and spdif always works via HQPlayer and remains switched for any firmware in the ZS.
Beta software works well, tried - Spotify, HqPlayer "NAA",
USB disc 2 Tera, USB output.
Best sound via HQPlayer without resampling, filters off!
The sound is just stunning.

Dec 31, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #2,999 of 5,865
I think you have to plug the dac in the bottom USB port. Are you using that one out of the 2 on the back of the zen?
Yes of course I use the bottom one

Dec 31, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #3,000 of 5,865
I am currently looking for a dedicated streamer to replace my Pi4. This product would have been high on my list as I have had some great experience with Ifi products in the past, but this seems to be fraught with problems.
I would be using it exclusively with Roon to connect via USB to my Qutest.
I am not great with tech, not hopeless either but my pet hate is having to mess about just to listen to my music, and this thread is littered with one issue or another. Such a shame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back