iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 16, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #2,791 of 5,913
Ran into an issue today. I am still on SW 2.25. As later versions seem to have issues with both Spotfiy and Tidal/USB output. I am using both Tidal, Spotify on both USB and SPDIF.

When playing Tidal Connect through SPDIF there is distorted noise when tracks are playing.
I use this track for testing.
Fauve - NUITS FAUVES https://tidal.com/browse/track/24507783
It starts at 0.11. It sounds like a i light crackle in the background, mostly on right side. First I thought my headphones were broken.

I have tried the following to isolate the issue. Nothing helps.
  • Changed the SPDIF Coax cable
  • Tried the Tidal Exclusive mode on Zen Stream
  • Tried different DACs, both SMSL VMV D1se and Chord hugo
  • Switched headphones
Playback Tidal Connect with USB from the Zen Stream = no distortion.
Playback Spotify Connect with SPDIF or USB from the Zen Stream = no distortion.
Playback Tidal Connect with USB from PC to DAC = distortion.
It only appears when using Tidal Connect over SPDIF from the Zen Stream.

Is anyone else hearing distorted noise when using Tidal Connect over SPDIF?
I just played this song through SPDIF. I have no problem

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #2,794 of 5,913
Ran into an issue today. I am still on SW 2.25. As later versions seem to have issues with both Spotfiy and Tidal/USB output. I am using both Tidal, Spotify on both USB and SPDIF.

When playing Tidal Connect through SPDIF there is distorted noise when tracks are playing.
It starts at 0.11. It sounds like a i light crackle in the background, mostly on right side. First I thought my headphones were broken.

• Switched headphones
Playback Tidal Connect with USB from PC to DAC = distortion.

Yes, both usb and spdif one speaker was distorted but it disappear after a while. I’m connected via Ethernet not WiFi.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,795 of 5,913
I think from what I read on this forum was the problem is on usb connection not on spdif. Many of us using usb output has this issue either Spotify or tidal. Spdif on latest firmware has no problem on either Spotify or tidal connect but the usb has problem on Spotify connect that it won’t connect but fine on tidal.

Dec 16, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2,797 of 5,913
I see ZS now has the the same build 880 with the core after the latest Roon update...

1639635915422.png
Yes, I’ve been waiting for this. For folks who haven’t checked on this for awhile, the “About” tab will notify you that you need to press the link to “relaunch” the bridge to update to version 880–make sure you do this!

Dec 16, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #2,802 of 5,913
4B54EFC6-38B0-4C8E-BAEA-CC94388B3030.png

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2,804 of 5,913

• Switched headphones
Playback Tidal Connect with USB from PC to DAC = no distortion.

Edit: My Zen Stream is on Ethernet cable, WiFi is turned off. And no distorsion when using USB from PC to DAC.
Make sure you update to latest firmware - I had same issue with pops sounds with spiff but now I am good.

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #2,805 of 5,913
I was having problem with USB Spotify. When I changed the IFI app playback mixer option from HW to SW, Spotify started working. I then changed back to HW and Spotify is still working. Seems the ZS need to be kicked in the butt first with SW option 😀. V2.29.9
Did spotify work after you restart the zen stream? I turned it off last night and tried again this morning and it stopped working, until I do the HW-SW trick again. This is going to be an annoying until iFi releases an update!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back