iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Jan 18, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,082 of 1,162
Hi. I was asking about this on the Facebook group, unfortunately without the answers.

Is the Dac v1 supposed to enter standby mode (blue light) for specific circumstances? Is it managed by Dac firmware or computer itself? I know that drives for Linux are not supported but I am trying to achieve this under my Debian machine. I am using Logitech Media Server and squeezelie packages under Docker. Just after reboot of system Dac goes to blue light mode and when the play button is pressed in LMS Dac is woken up and music starts playing. From the time when the music is being stopped Dac stays in the power on mode (I believe) with the led color matching last played bitrate. And it is accessible instantly.

Edit:

Another funny thing is that my Zen Dac is not recognized my Debian system when connected using USB cable with power cable plugged in. There are errors such device descriptor read/64, error -110 and command lsusb hangs the system.

I have a regular power brick with 5V/2A (for Zen Can).

Anyone here using Zen Dac v1 under Debian with power brick?

Anyone here using Zen Dac v1 or v2 with the piCorePlayer on Raspberry Pi?

Hi there,

As we stated in the Facebook group, we don't support Linux drivers. Any odd occurrences you may see are a result of us not supporting Linux.

Why do you want the DAC to into standby mode?

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #1,083 of 1,162
Would you be so kind to share your settings? Are you using V1/V2, on which firmware?
I am asking about this because I am facing an issue with the begining of the track cutted off when the sample rate is changed from eg. 44,1 kHz to 96 kHz. Are you facing this kind of issue too?

My current settings are:

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "pCP x iFi Zen Dac" -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -a 80:4::1: -c pcm,flac,mp3,dsd,dsf,wma,acc -p 45 -r 384000[:2000] -D 2000:u32be -C 10

The -r 384000[:2000] means that 384000 is max supported sample rate (by Dac) and 2000 is the delay in ms (2 seconds) between the different sample rates - the playing will be delayed for 2 seconds when the sample rate of the following track is different than currently played. For lower values the cutting exists.

Thank you in advance.

Hi there,

As we stated in the Facebook group, we don't support Linux drivers. Any odd occurrences you may see are a result of us not supporting Linux.

Why do you want the DAC to into standby mode?

I will not waste my time for the standby mode anymore. Is it even really exist? I does not think so. I heard that the these devices are not entering the mysterious standby mode on any systems.

Why I want it? For example for less power drain. To know that my device is not playing any music (no signal comes to it). These two are enough for me.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,084 of 1,162
Would you be so kind to share your settings? Are you using V1/V2, on which firmware?
I am asking about this because I am facing an issue with the begining of the track cutted off when the sample rate is changed from eg. 44,1 kHz to 96 kHz. Are you facing this kind of issue too?

My current settings are:

/usr/local/bin/squeezelite -n "pCP x iFi Zen Dac" -o hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0 -a 80:4::1: -c pcm,flac,mp3,dsd,dsf,wma,acc -p 45 -r 384000[:2000] -D 2000:u32be -C 10

The -r 384000[:2000] means that 384000 is max supported sample rate (by Dac) and 2000 is the delay in ms (2 seconds) between the different sample rates - the playing will be delayed for 2 seconds when the sample rate of the following track is different than currently played. For lower values the cutting exists.

Thank you in advance.

I will not waste my time for the standby mode anymore. Is it even really exist? I does not think so. I heard that the these devices are not entering the mysterious standby mode on any systems.

Why I want it? For example for less power drain. To know that my device is not playing any music (no signal comes to it). These two are enough for me.
These are my settings for V1 of Zen DAC. I try to follow the advice of audio@vise blog.Soundcheck Blog.

Screenshot_20220119-101418.png

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #1,085 of 1,162
These are my settings for V1 of Zen DAC. I try to follow the advice of audio@vise blog.Soundcheck Blog.

Screenshot_20220119-101418.png
Thank you. Doesn't you have any problems like described by me on these settings? Which firmware version do you running on your Zen Dac?

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,088 of 1,162
Just took delivery of a new Zen DAC V2. Sold a few hifi bits to fund it, worth the wait.

Listening with HD58X and a homemade balanced OCC cable. The Zen DAC was made for these cans!

I know the Zen CAN is the natural amp but does anyone have any other amp suggestions that they enjoy?

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #1,090 of 1,162
Had a Zen DAC V2 delivered this morning. It sounds great paired with my new Hifiman HE400SE especially when Truebass is enabled. Very quiet signal and powered from my PC's USB. £135 and free next day delivery from Richer Sounds in the UK. Very happy with my purchase.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #1,092 of 1,162
I was under impression that the zendac doesn't support raspberry streamers.
What do you mean that "zendac doesnt't support raspberry stremaers"? I am using my Zen Dac v1 under RPi4 on piCorePlayer, and I was using it without any problems under OpenMediaVault/Docker custom machine.

Mar 9, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #1,094 of 1,162
@Sebastien Chiu

What's the difference between iFi Zen Dac vs. iFi Hip Dac?

The main difference is in form factor - they both answer the same question but it really depends on if you want something just for desktop or transportable.

The hip-dad is slightly warmer than the Zen DAC, and has a slightly different xBass implementation whereas the Zen DAC is TrueBass.

Just took delivery of a new Zen DAC V2. Sold a few hifi bits to fund it, worth the wait.

Listening with HD58X and a homemade balanced OCC cable. The Zen DAC was made for these cans!

I know the Zen CAN is the natural amp but does anyone have any other amp suggestions that they enjoy?

Had a Zen DAC V2 delivered this morning. It sounds great paired with my new Hifiman HE400SE especially when Truebass is enabled. Very quiet signal and powered from my PC's USB. £135 and free next day delivery from Richer Sounds in the UK. Very happy with my purchase.

Thank you both!

Mar 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #1,095 of 1,162
Stupid question… just ordered the original (“v1”) ZEN but I have a doubt on Windows 10:

- do I download and install the drivers first, then connect the ZEN to PC

- or do I plug first the ZEN to PC then install the drivers?

Or the order of this is irrelevant?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back