iFi audio ZEN DAC - EISA Award Winner 'Best Value DAC 2020-21!
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #286 of 1,162
5.2b = no MQA, no GTO filter
5.3 = MQA enabled no GTO filter
5.3C = MQA + GTO filter
Thanks for the info!

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the whole "MQA being forced" thing that some people didn't like is only when the GTO filter is being utilized (i.e. 5.3c). I had thought that the base 5.3 firmware simply allowed for the option to use MQA, but didn't force it. So are you saying that the base 5.3 firmware indeed forces MQA usage as well?

Mar 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #287 of 1,162
Thanks for the info!

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I thought the whole "MQA being forced" thing that some people didn't like is only when the GTO filter is being utilized (i.e. 5.3c). I had thought that the base 5.3 firmware simply allowed for the option to use MQA, but didn't force it. So are you saying that the base 5.3 firmware indeed forces MQA usage as well?

the zen is an MQA renderer. All it does is decode one piece of an MQA file (unfold). When no MQA file is present there is nothing to force. The GTO filter is a full time and always active

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #288 of 1,162
i have encountered a bug of sorts and was looking for confirmation from others.

after pausing a DSD file (.dsf) a short while then resuming i am getting no audio, but the file seems to be playing. if i change to a different format the sound resumes and then returning to DSD plays sound. it only occurs when i pause and then resume. it doesn't happen with the same files playing through a different DAC and the same software player (Roon).

it is present on both 5.30 and 5.3c firmware
I am having similar behavior when using the Zen Dac with J River to play DSD (.dsf) files. Somewhat randomly, the sound is muted when I start playing a DSD file. J River shows no errors and appears to be playing the file fine. Playing a standard flac file and then restarting the DSD file corrects the problem. This issue seems to occur most frequently after pausing while playing DSD, waiting for a few minutes, and then restarting play again. Hopefully, iFi can reproduce and fix this issue with a firmware update.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #289 of 1,162
I am having similar behavior when using the Zen Dac with J River to play DSD (.dsf) files. Somewhat randomly, the sound is muted when I start playing a DSD file. J River shows no errors and appears to be playing the file fine. Playing a standard flac file and then restarting the DSD file corrects the problem. This issue seems to occur most frequently after pausing while playing DSD, waiting for a few minutes, and then restarting play again. Hopefully, iFi can reproduce and fix this issue with a firmware update.

thanks for the confirmation. i realize DSD isn't the most prevalent format, but i do have a large SACD collection ripped to .dsf and for a moment i was questioning the quality of my files

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #290 of 1,162
I can confirm the Zen dac works with Linux. I just plugged the unit in and selected the output preference for ifi using either Audacious or Deadbeef music players I cannot tell which version of the firmware is active and I cannot download any other version as unfortunately, ifi don‘t support Linux. I wonder what I am missing in terms of SQ. The music players are capable of handling flac and dsd (dsf/diff) i need to check if all sample rates are being processed correctly.

Mar 22, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #291 of 1,162
I can confirm the Zen dac works with Linux. I just plugged the unit in and selected the output preference for ifi using either Audacious or Deadbeef music players I cannot tell which version of the firmware is active and I cannot download any other version as unfortunately, ifi don‘t support Linux. I wonder what I am missing in terms of SQ. The music players are capable of handling flac and dsd (dsf/diff) i need to check if all sample rates are being processed correctly.

Not sure about Linux, but without installing the iFi software, playing DSD files with Audrivana on Windows 10 and later switching to a YouTube video on web browser, will not automatically switch down the sample rates and therefore will not play any sound. The software does help to facilitate this, as I initially thought the device was plug and play ready.

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #292 of 1,162
Using Linux, I experimented with different file types & sample rates to see if the Zen Dac‘s led would respond to the different files downloaded from 2L.

The only change from green to yellow occurred when I played a flac 24/192 file. It stayed on green with all dsd files whether 64, 128 or 256. It played MQA but didn’t change to magenta, it stayed green. I tried both Audacious and DeadBeef players. I am new to Linux and don’t understand how it works - I just employ trial & error. The other issue is that I cannot get sound from browser content eg YouTube. I use Firefox but I believe I have utilise an additional app. to set up browser sound to output via usb.

I do have access to Windows. If I download firmware, eg 5.30 is it stored or linked to the Zen? If so should it be retained when using Linux and allow the Linux music players to process the sample rates correctly?

Mar 22, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #295 of 1,162
I have switched back to Windows and foobar to test out the Zen but the led colour only illuminates green (PCM upto 96kHz) or yellow on all other sample rates (PCM 192 owards and DSD - 64, 128 & 256). It has been a long time since I set up foobar and I cant recall how to set up optimum playback. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #296 of 1,162
Thank you to everyone who have kindly offered advice. Unfortunately I am still struggling to get foobar to play bit perfect native DSD 256 files. I have used the excellent tutorial at: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.co...-part-3-new-experimental-sacd-plugin-v-0-9-x/.

I followed the instructions under Mode 1: (“Bit perfect”) I have set output > device to DSD:ASIO:ifi HD USB Audio. With this setting I can play DSD 64 & 128 and the led is cyan (light blue) but when attempting to play DSD 256 I receive the error message: “Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 705600 HZ not supported by the device“ Another issue with this setting when selecting SACD, I dont get 60khz, 160db in the DSD2PCM section. This results in a pop up occurring every time I play a DSD file: “No installed FIR” PCM 44,96 play (green led) PCM 192 play (yellow led).

Mode 2: (Bitperfect outputting native DSD through DSDTranscoder} output > device DSD:ASIO:Transcoder (DoP/Native). ASIO Driver > DSD Transponder (DoP/Native), ASIO Device ifi HD USB Audio (set all sample rates to DSD in the pop. up window) In this mode the DSD 256 file plays and the led illuminates blue, DSD 64 & 128 play (cyan led) PCM 44, 96 play (green led) but 192 wont play error message “ Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 192000 HZ not supported by the device.”

Mode 3: Upsampling with the “DSD Processor” component with output > device DSD:ASIO:Transcoder (DoP/Native) and the DSD Processor activated. I can upsample all PCM and DSD files up to DSD256 (blue led). Is the best mode? Do you recommend to upsample everything to DSD 256 (PCM & DSD) or should I adhere to the settings suggested in the tutorial. I really just wanted to test the Zen to see if it works as it should. However, I don't understand why I get errors for some sample rates in Modes 1 & 2.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #297 of 1,162
The GTO filter is a full time and always active

True, with our GTO FW that's how it works for PCM, hence the same LED color for PCM.

Do you recommend to upsample everything to DSD 256 (PCM & DSD) or should I adhere to the settings suggested in the tutorial. I really just wanted to test the Zen to see if it works as it should.

Some folks like to upsample everything to the highest DSD possible, which in case of hip-dac is DSD256 and you were able to achieve that. Others like their music with no processing along the road. But at the end of the day it's up to your ears which option works the best for you. Out of curiosity, may I ask which one did?

Unrecoverable playback error: Sample rate of 192000 HZ not supported by the device

That's odd. hip-dac supports multipliers of 44.1/48kHz up to 352/384kHz, so it should handle 192kHz with no issues. I suspect that this is related to settings in foobar. Can you please open a ticket here: https://support.ifi-audio.com/

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #300 of 1,162
1581792270924.215672219835543161773575-10469705.jpg

Bump @iFi audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back