iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #406 of 2,506
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #407 of 2,506
Yeah. I know, I was referring to other smartphones and that I don’t understand why they do not use aac as well.

Aptx is marketed as something supercool and new but it isn’t. Usually only apple does that. Haha.

By the way. Apple notebooks support aptx too. Just iOS doesn’t. https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/enable-aptx-aac-bluetooth-audio-codecs-macos/

Cheers.
Ah, sorry, didn t read all of the posts before! Definitely agree!

Just bought the xdsd and love it, btw. Exactly the kind of device I was waiting for for years! ☺️

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #408 of 2,506
Ah, sorry, didn t read all of the posts before! Definitely agree!

Just bought the xdsd and love it, btw. Exactly the kind of device I was waiting for for years! ☺️

Indeed love the xDSD so far. Amazing piece of kit.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #409 of 2,506
No problem. :)

BTW its not released yet but the Fiio BTR3 may be what you are looking for. It won't match the xDSD for sound quality and features, obviously as its going to be under £100 but it has aptx HD and LDAC.
I have a Chord Hugo2 which I use at work, through Roxanne II IEMs, and the Mojo gets close in comparison to the Hugo, on the move (wired). I'll only give up the Mojo for something with similar performance, and the xDSD sounds like it might be that good, with the bonus of playing Wirelessly from my phone, without the need for a BT receiver like I have attached to Mojo.
I also control my phone using a media button for music, which is really convenient for commuting, because it's on a retractable key wire attached to my belt.

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #410 of 2,506
One important point here is that ifi is doing a special implementation of the Bluetooth functionality a kind of an asynchronous one (jitter free). I know only one other company that does that in a budget device and this is audioquest with the beetle which i never heard because simply I bought the ifi ione which has a similar jitter free Bluetooth implementation and came to the market first.

So although the codec and the bandwidth is very important more important for me is the Bluetooth to be as close to the asychronous implementation as possible.

I am listening 128k internet radio stations which apt-x can pass easily but still through usb the sound is better in long listening sessions. So this means is not a bandwidth issue only although a combination of an advanced codec and asychronous Bluetooth implementation is the best.

And of course the point here is when you are mobile you are prepared to do compromises and thus a good Bluetooth implementation maybe more than enough.

Well done Ifi!

Apr 28, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #411 of 2,506
Saw a new precious at the Tokyo show today....

The iFi xCAN

E66DDDD6-DF9C-4DF9-B49C-D2276D874E1A.jpeg

8B21D1B6-721F-40BF-82F8-CBA47E6E4209.jpeg 6CA36F97-78B5-446B-95C7-75FC66B9DF62.jpeg 275CB4C7-C6AC-4A65-993C-196C05C5E7E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E713594-F598-4AD2-9D26-17E2043492A8.jpeg
    4E713594-F598-4AD2-9D26-17E2043492A8.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 0
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #413 of 2,506
What were the differences? Did they give any details on specs?
I'm thinking it could be an amp only maybe with a bump in output. But it's only a guess at this point.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #414 of 2,506
One important point here is that ifi is doing a special implementation of the Bluetooth functionality a kind of an asynchronous one (jitter free). I know only one other company that does that in a budget device and this is audioquest with the beetle which i never heard because simply I bought the ifi ione which has a similar jitter free Bluetooth implementation and came to the market first.

So although the codec and the bandwidth is very important more important for me is the Bluetooth to be as close to the asychronous implementation as possible.

I am listening 128k internet radio stations which apt-x can pass easily but still through usb the sound is better in long listening sessions. So this means is not a bandwidth issue only although a combination of an advanced codec and asychronous Bluetooth implementation is the best.

And of course the point here is when you are mobile you are prepared to do compromises and thus a good Bluetooth implementation maybe more than enough.

Well done Ifi!
This is all very nice. I do know that ifi tends to customize their ICs.

However, how did you learn about this? After the aptX HD fiasco I did what I was supposed to do and researched about the xdsd properly (as opposed to believing the official ifi statements in a forum), and couldn't find any technical information regarding their Bluetooth implementation.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #415 of 2,506
Regardin the xCAN...

Mmm I don't see an USB data port. So either a standalone amp or wireless only ( actual HD support this time:smile_cat:).
I do see a separate balanced port, so maybe a true balanced amp?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #417 of 2,506
This is all very nice. I do know that ifi tends to customize their ICs.

However, how did you learn about this? After the aptX HD fiasco I did what I was supposed to do and researched about the xdsd properly (as opposed to believing the official ifi statements in a forum), and couldn't find any technical information regarding their Bluetooth implementation.
1) by reading the technical note in their website
( See global master clock section)

2) I have the nano ione and the Bluetooth implementation is very good far superior than any other I have heard. I would have been really surprised if they did not include a similar implementation, or even better on this more expensive device. Of course, the only authority to give a valid answer is ifi audio and I refer to them .

Having said that, I am not fan of Bluetooth for home use and thus in my main system I used a raspberry pi and now a usbridge. However, in mobile applications compromises must be made I cannot imagine going to the gym with streamers and linear power supplies.

But also, I agree that for people with phones that support Aptx-hd and LDAC the optimal combination is to have both advanced codecs and zero jitter implementation. Also in order to be future proof I would prefer to have them although I do not currently need them .

Edit: also I think if the chip is adequate enough both these codecs can come later on with a firmware update but do not know if this possible in this case.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #418 of 2,506
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back