iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #1,291 of 2,505
Based on the official data (110dB/1mW & 18 Ohm) this IEM translates into 127dB/1V, which means a small amount of background hiss may be audible. As IEM/headphone sensitivity varies greatly comparing background noise is only valid using the same IEM.

If items the customer mentions as "not having hiss" are compared under the exact same background noise conditions, with the same IEM and with equivalent gain settings, it is likely they will have similar levels of hiss with the same IEM.

Naturally, the solution is to add iEMatch or Earbuddy.
I will have to back up this post, and the observations of @drey101... I have two xDSD units, and the DM6. The DM6 has a very low, but noticeable hiss when plugged into either of my units on 3.5mm SE (have not checked balanced). Volume independent until it gets to RED, when the hiss gets very loud. Easiest way to “hear” the hiss at low volumes is to simply unplug the headphones - from hiss to nothing.

However, I love my xDSD(s) so, a little hiss flying under the level of the music is no big deal. But no denying it, this is really there.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #1,292 of 2,505
I will have to back up this post, and the observations of @drey101... I have two xDSD units, and the DM6. The DM6 has a very low, but noticeable hiss when plugged into either of my units on 3.5mm SE (have not checked balanced). Volume independent until it gets to RED, when the hiss gets very loud. Easiest way to “hear” the hiss at low volumes is to simply unplug the headphones - from hiss to nothing.

However, I love my xDSD(s) so, a little hiss flying under the level of the music is no big deal. But no denying it, this is really there.

Glad you able to overcome the hiss and enjoy both your IEMs and the xDSD. I gave up in BA IEMs because I found that the hiss is present on a lot of devices (hence why my Polk NuVoes haven't received use in a coupe of years). Heck, that's why I have avoided most low impedance/ high sensitivity IEMs in general. As iFi states, the iEMatch or Earbuddy would probably be the right way to go and while I have not used either options, from what I have read they do wonders.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #1,293 of 2,505
Glad you able to overcome the hiss and enjoy both your IEMs and the xDSD. I gave up in BA IEMs because I found that the hiss is present on a lot of devices (hence why my Polk NuVoes haven't received use in a coupe of years). Heck, that's why I have avoided most low impedance/ high sensitivity IEMs in general. As iFi states, the iEMatch or Earbuddy would probably be the right way to go and while I have not used either options, from what I have read they do wonders.
Yeah, I have the iEMatch in my Amazon wish list... hate to have to spend the extra money, especially when (if I remember correctly) the xDSD is supposed to have something like this already built in...

I don’t have this problem with my Hidizs DH1000 DAC/amp.

I will play with balanced tomorrow on the xDSD and see if it is the same.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #1,294 of 2,505
Yeah, I have the iEMatch in my Amazon wish list... hate to have to spend the extra money, especially when (if I remember correctly) the xDSD is supposed to have something like this already built in...

I don’t have this problem with my Hidizs DH1000 DAC/amp.

I will play with balanced tomorrow on the xDSD and see if it is the same.

The xDSD has a built in iPurifier, not iEMatch. You are thinking of the Black Label line which does (and has a switch for toggling the feature).

Feb 18, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #1,297 of 2,505
So, this morning I did an experiment with interesting results...

LG v30, xDSD, DM6, MEE balanced cable 3.5mm balanced adapter (included with the MEE cable) - previous observations were with the stock DM6 cable.

With the xDSD not plugged into my LG V30 there was a noticeable hiss/high pitched hum.

Plugged in the xDSD into the LG v30 and the hiss became virtually undetectable (still there, but definitely less than with the stock cable).

Of course there are two variables here - balanced versus SE, and MEE vs DM6/stock cable. So, I then unplugged the xDSD from the LG, changed the adapter out for the 3.5mm SE adapter from MEE, and confirmed that in SE the hiss to me sounds louder than in balanced.

Even in balanced there is still a hiss, but lower volume than in SE.

And I still love the xDSD, even if there is a low hiss on very sensitive IEMs... :)

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #1,299 of 2,505
Anyone having issue with a high amount of battery drain while the unit is off?

Lately, I realized that if I leave the unit by it self for...about a week, the XDSD's battery will be completely drained.

At first I thought it's due to me not shutting it down by accident, but after a few more incident like this... I'm pretty sure the unit will run its own battery dry in a week or two weeks time for some reason, has anyone have this issue lately?

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #1,300 of 2,505

Lately, I realized that if I leave the unit by it self for...about a week, the XDSD's battery will be completely drained.

At first I thought it's due to me not shutting it down by accident, but after a few more incident like this... I'm pretty sure the unit will run its own battery dry in a week or two weeks time for some reason, has anyone have this issue lately?

Is your xDSD set to Bluetooth mode?

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,301 of 2,505

Yes. I bought mine secondhand and have feared I got stiffed. I only use occasionally at my desk so it's not a huge issue but I have put off asking the same question on here. (I don't use Bluetooth - only usb)

Feb 18, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,303 of 2,505
yes, it's set to bluetooth mode when i turn off the device.

While I can't comment specifically on the xDSD as I never use Bluetooth, I find that with other devices even when off if a pair device is in range it drains the battery (like my speaker I use at work). I would give it a shot and not have Bluetooth enabled.

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #1,304 of 2,505

Same exact thing happens to me. Even if fully charged when I turn off about 1 week later I will go to turn it on and completely dead. This happens constantly

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #1,305 of 2,505
Hi, please a quick question or two if I may. I’m looking for an amp to hook up to my lovely little Fiio m6 which is usb c, I take it I will have to buy a special cable for that correct?

And I like the sound of the mojo, but I want something a bit more agrresive in the treble region but still keep the stage and detail/layering. Would the xdsd fit the bill?

I’m also looking at topping nx4, and a used oppo ha2. I’m open to any suggestions, I’d like something to sound killer and also be small and portable. I’d like to keep in under 500 dollars or so if I could. I had an AKSR15 but that didn’t sound much better than the Fiio, and it’s smaller and I thought 2 daps would be redundant. Would be nice to drive senn hd 600 properly also.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back