iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Dec 6, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,126 of 2,505
A bit late getting to this. I think the effects are pretty cool. xBass definitely adds some additional weight to the bass but without distorting the rest of the sound. 3D+ I notice MUCH more in live music and (agreeing above) older recordings which were more or less live recordings anything (try anything motowney... Smokey and the Bandits, Sam & Dave both on Tidal HIFI and v noticeable changes with 3D+ on for me). I think 3D+ is doing something up top in the high frequencies, but the net effect is a holographic sound (which sounds a bit weird/false on some recordings, properly incredible on others).

Ok I'll try 3D+ out then on some old Smokey Robinson this weekend and see what happens. Thanks!

Dec 7, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,129 of 2,505
Hmm ok. I don't have much electronica, but I will maybe give 3D+ another shot when listening to live recordings.

Thanks!
You can really tell the difference on Mono recordings. John Coltrane, a love supreme album. Goes from instruments in right ear, to being dead center

Dec 8, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #1,135 of 2,505
Oh yes, I never made a big case out of this, but the xBass is absolutely free of distortion, which is great for when you want to add some bass :)

I never hyped XBass as well simply because it's iFi and stating the added bass is distortion free is like saying water is wet. :blush::thumbsup:

Hey Hamachan.....................ok, but I don't know if it will matter. It seems that I'm not the only one in here who doesn't hear a difference with 3D+ enabled.

And you hear a difference with XBass enabled?

Dec 11, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #1,136 of 2,505
So I tried 3D+ out last night on a different pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 439) on a LIVE Fleetwood Mac recording, and I WAS able to this time to hear a difference. When I went back to my headphones (Beyer DT 1770 Pro), I didn't hear the difference AS much, but now that I knew what to look for specifically, I COULD actually still hear it. Essentially, the sound (especially vocals) gets expanded out just a little more with 3D+ enabled vs. disabled. So I guess I will just keep it enabled then from now on!

Thanks so much everyone! :L3000:

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #1,137 of 2,505
So I tried 3D+ out last night on a different pair of headphones (Sennheiser HD 439) on a LIVE Fleetwood Mac recording, and I WAS able to this time to hear a difference. When I went back to my headphones (Beyer DT 1770 Pro), I didn't hear the difference AS much, but now that I knew what to look for specifically, I COULD actually still hear it. Essentially, the sound (especially vocals) gets expanded out just a little more with 3D+ enabled vs. disabled. So I guess I will just keep it enabled then from now on!

Glad to hear you managed to sort it out!

I actually keep it enabled with 90% of headphones and IEMs for listening purposes, I love both the XBASS and the 3D features, and their sound! :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,138 of 2,505

Nice! Now you can rest assured knowing that your xDSD is working properly. :metal::sunglasses:

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #1,139 of 2,505
Glad to hear you managed to sort it out!

I actually keep it enabled with 90% of headphones and IEMs for listening purposes, I love both the XBASS and the 3D features, and their sound! :)

Thanks George!!

Yeah I will keep it enabled on my Beyers, which are really the only headphones I use (I only keep one premium headphone around at a time lol). But I could hear it more with the Senns. Not cuz they're better (cuz they're not lol), but I think it's just how they're tuned or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back