iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Sep 8, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #1,862 of 2,506
Without too much detail...
Can you please explain this in Android 9 OTG setup with say a Note 9 device?
Thank you again

How does MQA work within the TIDAL app?

The TIDAL app contains the MQA core decoder and performs the first unfold of an MQA file. Huh?

What happens if I connect my Android or iOS device to an external DAC?
(xDSD)
If you connect an MQA-enabled DAC, (containing the MQA renderer), you will get the authentication light and the optimal audio quality.
Magenta?

And why should I be using UAPP app?

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #1,863 of 2,506
Thank you again

The TIDAL app contains the MQA core decoder and performs the first unfold of an MQA file. Huh?

(xDSD)
If you connect an MQA-enabled DAC, (containing the MQA renderer), you will get the authentication light and the optimal audio quality.
Magenta?

Android OS in general runs all audio through the Android audio stack, resampling all audio to 16/48. There are only a few devices that bypass this as they are MQA certified and the Tidal Masters audio runs through the DAC untouched. These are the LG V30 and higher devices and perhaps the g7 and g8. This resampling is an issue in the OS itself. UAPP is an app that takes control and bypasses the native Android sample rate conversion, allowing the first unfold by the UAPP app. Unfortunately, external apps running Tidal are streaming only.
on iOS, audio sent to external DAC via lightning is bit-perfect, so audio is untouched and is sent to the DAC and run through it at the native rate, allowing for MQA handling by the DAC. In summation, Tidal hifi to iOS to external DAC gives you the correct 16/44 audio. Tidal Masters to iOS to external DAC with MQA ability continues all the unfolds to the highest rate. tidal Masters to iOS to non MQA external DAC gives you the 24/88 or 24/96 that the Tidal app sends via the first unfold. On Android all audio gets resampled to 16/48, other than Masters audio on the MQA capable LG devices. This is why people push UAPP so much, but this is a streaming only app.

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #1,864 of 2,506
Thank you again

(xDSD)
Magenta?

Sorry I went into full detail. I've been running Android since it's inception in 2007. I use a used iPhone 7 as a digital transport for music only for apps such as Tidal and Qobuz

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,865 of 2,506
Sorry I went into full detail. I've been running Android since it's inception in 2007. I use a used iPhone 7 as a digital transport for music only for apps such as Tidal and Qobuz
Thank you. That makes perfect sense to me. I guess iOS has a couple advantages over Android in the bit perfect MQA world. Since I use a Note 9, I have less choices. In fact seems like UAPP is only way to go. :triportsad:

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #1,867 of 2,506
Sep 8, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #1,869 of 2,506
Will an iPod touch work as well or the same using WIFI?
iPod touch will give you bit-perfect audio to external DAC using Tidal for all audio
Will an iPod touch work as well or the same using WIFI?
iOS devices can and will play Tidal bit-perfect to external DAC streaming or using storage. I have a used 256bg iPhone 7 loaded with Tidal music I use with xDSD and a chord Mojo

Sep 8, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #1,870 of 2,506
Thanks, so iPad too, yes with wifi only ?

WiFi, cellular, it matters not how the device connects to receive the data.

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #1,872 of 2,506
Hey all,

Does anyone here have the xDSD and the Fiio Q5S? I am planning on getting a DAC/AMP exclusively for pairing with my Iphone 11, from what I have read the xDSD seems to have better bluetooth/sound and I travel a lot so I'm going to be using it 70% of the time in bluetooth mode. I've read through there quite a bit, but most of the comments that discussed bluetooth connections just said 'its worse', is the bluetooth connection so bad that it's just completely inadequate or is bt good enough quality to listen to some harder to drive IEMs like the Legend X?

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #1,873 of 2,506
Hey all,

Does anyone here have the xDSD and the Fiio Q5S? I am planning on getting a DAC/AMP exclusively for pairing with my Iphone 11, from what I have read the xDSD seems to have better bluetooth/sound and I travel a lot so I'm going to be using it 70% of the time in bluetooth mode. I've read through there quite a bit, but most of the comments that discussed bluetooth connections just said 'its worse', is the bluetooth connection so bad that it's just completely inadequate or is bt good enough quality to listen to some harder to drive IEMs like the Legend X?
I listen to xDSD in Bluetooth half the time, and it's awesome. The primary I go wired is because I use Tidal hifi, and like activating the MQA capability of the DAC, but it is an awesome DAC/amp in either mode

Oct 15, 2019 at 6:29 PM Post #1,874 of 2,506
Hey all,

I do not have Fiio Q5S but read the following article first how iFi treats Bluetooth. For me their Bluetooth implementation is excellent enough for the portable and casual use.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-xdsd-the-official-thread.873787/page-29#post-14210251

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #1,875 of 2,506
Thanks for the quick response man, I think I'll pull the trigger and get the xDSD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back