iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
Mar 19, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #691 of 817
Hi iFi,

I been considering a single-ended triode (SET) amp to speaker input of iESL.

Reading iESL user manual, the loudspeaker input is stated as :

"Rating below around 10 Watt/8Ω may not deliver satisfactory playback level"

Does it means that SET amp output of 2.3w RMS into 4Ω or 1.8w into 8Ω is out of equation for iESL Pro?

Keen to try on decware amp but uncertain if it synergise with iESL, thus seeking your advise.

As per our manual, with such amps you may not get sufficiently high volume, thanks!

I'd agree with ifi here. Only a few tube amps would be able to push enough power for the iESL. Decaware is known to have lower power tube amps. Even with a more efficient electrostat you won't get enough volume to listen.

Mar 19, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #692 of 817
Anyone run a iESL off a NAD 100W Class D setup?
At one point i ran it off a NAD M22 V2 Class D 450w @8ohm and it added the needed oompft and made HE6, Susvara sing with authority without the noise vs. connecting straight to the amp. But depending on the cans you are running, 100w isn't really enough imo.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #693 of 817
At one point i ran it off a NAD M22 V2 Class D 450w @8ohm and it added the needed oompft and made HE6, Susvara sing with authority without the noise vs. connecting straight to the amp. But depending on the cans you are running, 100w isn't really enough imo.
I use that same amp, and drive my Susvara off the iESL's speaker pass-through. There is zero noise. The overall sound quality is slightly diminished driving the Susvara through the iESL's transformers to my ear. YMMV, I guess.

Mar 19, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #694 of 817
Hi iFi,

I been considering a single-ended triode (SET) amp to speaker input of iESL.

Reading iESL user manual, the loudspeaker input is stated as :

"Rating below around 10 Watt/8Ω may not deliver satisfactory playback level"

Does it means that SET amp output of 2.3w RMS into 4Ω or 1.8w into 8Ω is out of equation for iESL Pro?

Keen to try on decware amp but uncertain if it synergise with iESL, thus seeking your advise.
I would say go for a push-pull amp that can do at least 50W at 8 ohm. But I have Muzishare X7 that is only 45W but you can manually bias it higher if you buy better tubes that can tolerate higher current :) Or there another option to go single-ended A tier that will cost a bit more. More than double the price.

Mar 19, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #695 of 817
I’m struggling to understand high power amps being used in this application lol. The iESL or electrostats would literally melt down if they were consuming even a handful of watts…

I’ve used Topping LA90, Luxman LV-103 and 20W tube amp with EL84 tubes, all run my friends iESL and my SRD-7 Pro with ample headroom.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #696 of 817
Many thanks for all your input, much appreciated.

Currently I’m already on a 200wpc (class A in first 10w). Although I’m happy with current setup, I have the itch to try out the SET amp, reading so much about its sweetness and musicality, esp vocals.

I’m even thinking that if the decware can’t pair with iESL speaker post with it’s rms 2.3w, maybe I can tapped into the SET’s speakers output to iESL 4-pin XLR balance input.

Crazy idea in pursue of music.

If it works, next setup maybe a Perun quadrun. 😁

Mar 20, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #697 of 817
I would say go for a push-pull amp that can do at least 50W at 8 ohm. But I have Muzishare X7 that is only 45W but you can manually bias it higher if you buy better tubes that can tolerate higher current :) Or there another option to go single-ended A tier that will cost a bit more. More than double the price.
Not considering push-pull, just single-ended for continous flow of soundwave w/o having my doubt-casting mind wondering how the push-pull handles crossover.😅

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #698 of 817
Not considering push-pull, just single-ended for continous flow of soundwave w/o having my doubt-casting mind wondering how the push-pull handles crossover.😅
What u mean with that? "How it handless crossover" Muzishare R100 805 is around 3k usd. It have plenty power, 50W RMS. And I have zero problem with the push-pull X7.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #700 of 817
Many thanks for all your input, much appreciated.

Currently I’m already on a 200wpc (class A in first 10w). Although I’m happy with current setup, I have the itch to try out the SET amp, reading so much about its sweetness and musicality, esp vocals.

I’m even thinking that if the decware can’t pair with iESL speaker post with it’s rms 2.3w, maybe I can tapped into the SET’s speakers output to iESL 4-pin XLR balance input.

Crazy idea in pursue of music.

If it works, next setup maybe a Perun quadrun. 😁

I have a Decware SE84TS+ and could potentially test it, it's 6watt into 8ohm. But don't have a speaker to speaker cable handy (my current one is dug too deep between components to unplug). perhaps I'll get some cheap cable from amazon and try it (I'm using the Moon 330A amp myself for the iESL, which is 125w into 8ohm, and it has gobbles of power)

Is the XLR in treated differently than the speakt taps in?

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #701 of 817

Let the expert do the tech talk on the subject, and there are many more experience audiophile who can give better explanation

not here to debate which sound better, just personal preference on implementation that I prefer 😊

Cool. But it didn't really answer the question: does it affect the sound? More distortion when gain is higher? This X7 is Class AB Push-pull. How does it affect the iESL and e-stats? And that power consumption goes sky rocket. I don't have money to buy all the audio gears unfortunately. But if someone can answer it I would appreciate it.

Mar 20, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #702 of 817
I have a Decware SE84TS+ and could potentially test it, it's 6watt into 8ohm. But don't have a speaker to speaker cable handy (my current one is dug too deep between components to unplug). perhaps I'll get some cheap cable from amazon and try it (I'm using the Moon 330A amp myself for the iESL, which is 125w into 8ohm, and it has gobbles of power)

Is the XLR in treated differently than the speakt taps in?
Fantastic! Look forward to your feedback on hookup to iESL speakers input.

I’m looking at a preloved 2004 SE84CS Zen. With its basic design remains, i hope it doesn’t differ too much to latest ufo2.

The speaker to 4-pin XLR look like this, which I saw locally, as alternative to iESL bal input

Attachments

• 979B3E61-1181-4AA2-AEBA-22A3F34E1E1E.jpeg
    979B3E61-1181-4AA2-AEBA-22A3F34E1E1E.jpeg
    997.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #703 of 817
Fantastic! Look forward to your feedback on hookup to iESL speakers input.

I’m looking at a preloved 2004 SE84CS Zen. With its basic design remains, i hope it doesn’t differ too much to latest ufo2.

The speaker to 4-pin XLR look like this, which I saw locally, as alternative to iESL bal input
Yea I have those type of cables (using with Susvara and power amp)

I’m just wondering whether speaker taps vs 4-pin XLR inputs of the iESL are a convenience only (two different ways to get balanced signal in), which I suspect; or if they have different resistance or other changes in internal circuitry - perhaps @iFi audio can confirm

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:58 PM Post #704 of 817
Yea I have those type of cables (using with Susvara and power amp)

I’m just wondering whether speaker taps vs 4-pin XLR inputs of the iESL are a convenience only (two different ways to get balanced signal in), which I suspect; or if they have different resistance or other changes in internal circuitry - perhaps @iFi audio can confirm
I'm 99% sure there's no difference between the XLR and speaker inputs, although I've only used the latter. Both connect directly to the transformer primaries AFAIK.

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #705 of 817
I'm 99% sure there's no difference between the XLR and speaker inputs, although I've only used the latter. Both connect directly to the transformer primaries AFAIK.
Me too (x2)
Would be good to confirm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back