iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
Sep 17, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #361 of 817
Absolutely no problem. No need to disconnect. When the iESL is powered off, the signal is internally set into pass-trough mode from your amp to your speakers with zero signal change, everything is passive in this case. :wave:

iesl cables.jpg

So what ARE the connectors for the speaker INs and OUTs on the iESL ? I haven't seen/used anything quite like them, and the website doesn't show a unit connected up, AFAICT. Do those take banana plugs, or bare wires from the side, or RCA plugs, or what? (I *REALLY* don't like the idea of using RCA plugs for speakers.)

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #362 of 817
So what ARE the connectors for the speaker INs and OUTs on the iESL ? I haven't seen/used anything quite like them, and the website doesn't show a unit connected up, AFAICT. Do those take banana plugs, or bare wires from the side, or RCA plugs, or what? (I *REALLY* don't like the idea of using RCA plugs for speakers.)

They are normal regular loudspeaker connections nothing fancy or special, I have similar connections on my loudspeakers. On my photo on the page before you can see I use banana plugs for input and output.

Here are my own hand made (slighty oversized:sweat_smile:) speaker cable (internal wires 2x8mm²) interconnect with high quality banana plugs just for iESL and power amp.

interconnect.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #363 of 817
They are normal regular loudspeaker connections nothing fancy or special, I have similar connections on my loudspeakers. On my photo on the page before you can see I use banana plugs for input and output.

Here are my own hand made (slighty oversized:sweat_smile:) speaker cable (internal wires 2x8mm²) interconnect with high quality banana plugs just for iESL and power amp.

interconnect.jpg

Lovely work still :D

And as for iESL, its speaker inputs and outputs suggest that it can be used as a pass-through device between an amp and passive speakers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #364 of 817
I decided to go with Muzishare X7 and this. I can't comment on the sound yet but hope it won't disappoint. SNR is not super huge but it was not fairly expensive. I'll stick with cheap e-stat Nectar Hive. Feeding the audio signal with Topping DX7 Pro where I changed op-amps to Burson Audio V6 Classic. I'm pretty sure I do get some noise but how annoyingly audible it is we will see. They say this amp has a big stage and lively sound.

Sep 19, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #365 of 817
I used my Nectar Hive too on the iESL it works perfect I'm sure you will enjoy. In general the Nectar Hive is much more demanding then my Stax SR-009S, because of his low sensitivity. From noise level I recommend to set the iESL to 96 ohm setting.

Sep 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #366 of 817
I used my Nectar Hive too on the iESL it works perfect I'm sure you will enjoy. In general the Nectar Hive is much more demanding then my Stax SR-009S, because of his low sensitivity. From noise level I recommend to set the iESL to 96 ohm setting.
Yes, I do love tube amps. This is gonna be my second after the Yarland FV-34C that I bought 12 years ago. It's been a wonderful headphone with the SRM-313 and Topping DX7 Pro. I have modded and EQ the headphone for my liking. Nectar Hive need a strong amp. SRM-313 barely handles it after mods. I did lose more sensitivity to get better sub bass response and overall cleaner sounding. I'm more concerned about the amp microphonic noise. But if it's a problem then I can change the pre tubes for better ones and the rectifier (if that even helps).

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #367 of 817
Nectar Hive is very happy on my iESL. I like that it can take the highest voltage setting, which is what I use it on, driven by a TT2 in amp mode. I ultimately sold my Stax SR-007 MK2, which were technically more capable, but for me not more enjoyable than the Hives, which are also a fraction of the price.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #368 of 817
Nectar Hive is very happy on my iESL. I like that it can take the highest voltage setting, which is what I use it on, driven by a TT2 in amp mode. I ultimately sold my Stax SR-007 MK2, which were technically more capable, but for me not more enjoyable than the Hives, which are also a fraction of the price.
I asked about this Nectarsound and they also said it's fine. Cool to know :) Did it change Hive's sound? Or is it just more volume?

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #369 of 817
Since it's what they recommended, I've only listened to it that way.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #371 of 817
Nectar

Sep 24, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #373 of 817
Stupid question: If I use dynamic output on iesl is it just a passive pass through, same as I if had connected headphones to speaker taps of an amp with no iesl?

I'm considering looking into stats but if iesl+speaker amp would work with hard to drive planars (Susvara, he6 etc) as well it would be a huge bonus. Because of space limitations/convenience I can't plug headphones at the back of an amp.

If it works like that anyone have any suggestions for speaker amp to pair with iesl? I have no preamp so it needs to have a volume control. Something compact but powerfull enough for any headphone, stat or planar. Under 1000€ but preferably under €500.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #374 of 817
Stupid question: If I use dynamic output on iesl is it just a passive pass through, same as I if had connected headphones to speaker taps of an amp with no iesl?

I'm considering looking into stats but if iesl+speaker amp would work with hard to drive planars (Susvara, he6 etc) as well it would be a huge bonus. Because of space limitations/convenience I can't plug headphones at the back of an amp.

If it works like that anyone have any suggestions for speaker amp to pair with iesl? I have no preamp so it needs to have a volume control. Something compact but powerfull enough for any headphone, stat or planar. Under 1000€ but preferably under €500.
I'd like to see some recommendations too. Power amps of any price range.

Sep 24, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #375 of 817

I'm using a Hypex Ncore NC252MP power amplifier with XLR inputs, for my balanced DAC and this power amplifier which is rated at 250 wpc @ 4 ohms / 150 wpc @ 8 ohms cost about 470 EUR which is the best price/performance amplifier from power/SNR/DNR point of view you can buy (highly recommend). The next "real" step up IMHO would be something like Benchmark AHB2 power amplifier, which cost about 3600 EUR so almost 8 times more expensive, but this would be absolute end game no questions, but for real this is really over the top if asking about performance/sound quality/price ratio.

From output power point of view, it depends on the setting on iESL, it can be input = output mode when using lowest impedance setting on iESL, but this will cause less clean output, when you add your headphones to the 4-Pin XLR output. Because using the iESL is filtering a lot noise in general, so you get much cleaner output, than directly attached to a power amplifier, especially if using a higher impedance setting on iESL. Here is the information depending on your impedance setting on the iESL: https://support.ifi-audio.com/kb/faq.php?id=969 what you can get. I'll use the highest impedance setting, so I'll get less the half "raw power" from my setup, but it's still insane amount of power like 125 wpc @ 4 ohms / 75 wpc @ 8 ohms in my case.

My planar or dynamic headphones never sounded any better, than with power amplifier + iESL. And of course with my Stax SR-009S it's also pure joy. A good powerful balanced DAC is also recommend to get the best SQ from your power amplifier added to iESL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back