iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
Aug 21, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #346 of 817
The TT2 is set to amp mode I guess? Try 64 or 96 ohms impedance setting from iESL.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #348 of 817
We appreciate all feedback, harsh or not, and appreciate you reflecting on your own comments! Thanks for your thoughts!
As I've said, the iESL is the most satisfying energiser I've encountered - particularly when paired with my Moon HA430. I think it also sounds excellent when paired with the iCan - although the balanced output option seems better to me than the HDMI link. Can you provide a little more information about the HDMI link? I have only ever associated HDMI with digital (and perhaps power). Is there some digital processing going on with the HDMI (unlike the balanced out)?

Aug 25, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #349 of 817
Can you provide a little more information about the HDMI link? I have only ever associated HDMI with digital (and perhaps power). Is there some digital processing going on with the HDMI (unlike the balanced out)?

No digital processing there, both Pro iESL and Pro iCAN are fully analog devices. We use HDMI as an interface to conveniently connect the two, that's all there is to it :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #353 of 817
Ive been unable to find clear info on this; how exactly does the front XLR headphone out hook up? From what I've been reading, the impedance knob does affect it so it's not just a passthrough. What sort of ratios does it use? What is the output impedance?

Aug 26, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #354 of 817
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #355 of 817
Aug 28, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #356 of 817
In my system the 96 ohm setting appears to give the best result - but I must confess I don't really understand why that should generally be so. Generally, I would expect a higher voltage would be required to drive a higher load impedance, and a higher current would be required to drive a lower load impedance. So, I would have expected some differences in performance, depending on the source and its capacity to deliver voltage/current. Am I wrong about this? I note the manual seems to suggest there will always be an advantage in selecting the higher impedance setting - although I understand it also to be suggesting a higher gain setting may be required to achieve a given gain.

Sep 9, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #357 of 817
After more than three years of use I discovered something that I think may be useful to share with you:
When used with a McIntosh amplifier, the background noise clearly noticeable with sensitive headphones from the IESL (and sadly with any amplifier) can be massively reduced by using the 4 ohms speaker outputs from the Mc instead of the 8 ohms.
The volume is globally turned down and you have to increase it, but also is the background noise.
It's still hearable and doesn't disappear completely but well overall it's now acceptable and more discrete than the tube hum we often have with tube amps.
Maybe the 2 ohms would be even more efficient at reducing the noise but well I'm a bit afraid to use it so I'm staying at 4 ohms.

Alas, my other amplifiers don't provide this possibility (they don't have the famous McIntosh autoformers), and so I never found a way to shut down the background noise.
I also notice that on some of my systems, the Impedance setting can generate some strange noise in some positions (something like zzzzzzzzzzzz), so at the end the only acceptable position is the most sensitive one (knob completely on the right).
Sad thing, seems that Ifi completely messed things with that. By the way, I once contacted the customer service about this, they told me they would come back to me and never did.

Well, anyway, we already discussed about this and even if this is a quite sad side of the product, well, if you have a McIntosh amplifier, I thought you could find this trick useful.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #358 of 817
After more than three years of use I discovered something that I think may be useful to share with you:
When used with a McIntosh amplifier, the background noise clearly noticeable with sensitive headphones from the IESL (and sadly with any amplifier) can be massively reduced by using the 4 ohms speaker outputs from the Mc instead of the 8 ohms.
The volume is globally turned down and you have to increase it, but also is the background noise.
It's still hearable and doesn't disappear completely but well overall it's now acceptable and more discrete than the tube hum we often have with tube amps.
Maybe the 2 ohms would be even more efficient at reducing the noise but well I'm a bit afraid to use it so I'm staying at 4 ohms.

Alas, my other amplifiers don't provide this possibility (they don't have the famous McIntosh autoformers), and so I never found a way to shut down the background noise.
I also notice that on some of my systems, the Impedance setting can generate some strange noise in some positions (something like zzzzzzzzzzzz), so at the end the only acceptable position is the most sensitive one (knob completely on the right).
Sad thing, seems that Ifi completely messed things with that. By the way, I once contacted the customer service about this, they told me they would come back to me and never did.

Well, anyway, we already discussed about this and even if this is a quite sad side of the product, well, if you have a McIntosh amplifier, I thought you could find this trick useful.
Thanks for that. It seems you're using the McIntosh speaker connections with the iESL. I've not used the iESL's speaker connections. With both the 430HA and the iCAN I use the 'balanced' connection (balanced headphone out to balanced headphone in). I find this to be completely quiet. Indeed, I would say the iFi components are among the quietest I have come across - presumably attributable in part to their switching power supplies. In both cases, I prefer the 96 ohm setting on the iESL - which suggests to me that both the 430HA and the iCAN can produce the voltage necessary to drive the high load impedance optimally. I guess the balanced connection goes some way to reducing noise - also, the 430HA and the iCAN are basically differential amps, once again reducing noise.

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #359 of 817
@iFi audio

This may be asked a thousand times already but can I use an amplifier for speakers and still keep this iESL connected at the same time? No need to disconnect wires?

Sep 17, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #360 of 817
@iFi audio

This may be asked a thousand times already but can I use an amplifier for speakers and still keep this iESL connected at the same time? No need to disconnect wires?

Absolutely no problem. No need to disconnect. When the iESL is powered off, the signal is internally set into pass-trough mode from your amp to your speakers with zero signal change, everything is passive in this case. :wave:

iesl cables.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back