iFi Audio Pro iESL - The Official Thread

Would you buy our iESL now if it were still available?

• Yes

Votes: 89 77.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • I don't know

Votes: 14 12.2%

• Total voters
Jul 20, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #331 of 817
Thank you for your feedback @jamesjames

I can totally second your experience! I also own the Stax SR-009S and Sennheiser HD800 (with french mod very similar to stock HD800S) and with the iESL it's so clean output it's fantastic. Even I fully ramp up my DAC + power amp I hear absolutely zero noise from the attached heaphones or earspeakers. That's very impressive even very good solid state amps have on full volume some noise, but using iESL it's absolute black background. The iESL is a neutral device, the sound flavor only comes from your source devices dac + amp and the itself iESL is 100% neutral and transfers the cleaned signal through your cans. Stage and other parts are also improved using the iESL compared to regular amp connection. To me the iESL is one of the most underestimated audio devices from iFi, it's not just for STAX earspeaker a dream setup, but also for my planar or dynamic headphones the best driver unit. I really stopped looking to anything else since I own this device, I would only love if a black edition of the iESL maybe once could happen. :wave:
Yes! I agree black would be better!! In fact, I think iFi could usefully talk to Sennheiser about design generally - the build quality and operation of the iFi components seems excellent, but in terms of layout and style I think they're a mess ... In any event, you're note has encouraged me to investigate using the iCan/iESL combo to drive my Sennheiser and Meze dynamic phones - it would be great to avoid swapping between components when changing phones!

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #332 of 817
On reflection, I think my last comment re style was a bit harsh - I think the iFi components look fine actually - just a bit busy for my taste. The only serious points I would make are that the fascia printing is very hard to read in low light (perhaps any light ...) and I find that the base pads aren't as secure as standard non-slip 'feet' - the iCan in particular tends to swivel on the top of the iESL (and stacking appears to be the only real option in view of the short HDML connection). That said, I do appreciate the designers have done a terrific job fitting so much in such a small space.

Jul 22, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #333 of 817
Yes! I agree black would be better!! In fact, I think iFi could usefully talk to Sennheiser about design generally - the build quality and operation of the iFi components seems excellent, but in terms of layout and style I think they're a mess ... In any event, you're note has encouraged me to investigate using the iCan/iESL combo to drive my Sennheiser and Meze dynamic phones - it would be great to avoid swapping between components when changing phones!

On reflection, I think my last comment re style was a bit harsh - I think the iFi components look fine actually - just a bit busy for my taste. The only serious points I would make are that the fascia printing is very hard to read in low light (perhaps any light ...) and I find that the base pads aren't as secure as standard non-slip 'feet' - the iCan in particular tends to swivel on the top of the iESL (and stacking appears to be the only real option in view of the short HDML connection). That said, I do appreciate the designers have done a terrific job fitting so much in such a small space.

We appreciate all feedback, harsh or not, and appreciate you reflecting on your own comments! Thanks for your thoughts!

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #334 of 817
Well after 6 months of having used my iESL with only the Pro iCAN previously, I can now finally say I enjoy it! As I and others have stated, using the HDMI connection to power it isn't ideal. Difficult to get at a good volume without distortion and/or tripping the iCAN from overheating.

I upgraded to the Chord Hugo TT2 largely in hopes of it improving the iESL and the 2 headphones I use with it. My special cable arrived today to be able to power the iESL directly from the balanced outs in amp & high gain mode from the TT2. I was about to give up on electrostatics altogether and had wondered if my iESL was defective. Nope, finally amazing! Can be blasted without distortion and the sound is so much more full and pleasing. The Stax SR-007s have finally become TOTL sounding and even the Koss ESP/95X sounds better than I imagined it could. Both are now completely different headphones!

Alternatively I connected the TT2 to the iCAN balanced and powered the iESL with the HDMI cable. While that was an improvement over having the same DAC connected via RCA in DAC mode, it's just so much better going directly to the iESL via balanced & amp mode. You'll need one of these cables though.

So if you're not thrilled with the iCAN/iESL HDMI setup, don't give up and try driving the iESL via XLR with a more powerful amp. The iCAN pairing with the TT2 with non-electrostatics is also pretty amazing.
How much iesl impedance do you use for TT2?24 or 16?tq..

Jul 27, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #335 of 817
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #336 of 817
@iFi audio

If the iesl is connected to an appropriately rated amp and a 4pin xlr male to female adapter could it be safely used with the Audeze LCD-R ribbon headphone? My concern is the current draw that would result from the 2 ohm impedance of the headphone. Basically, as long as the amp can source the current can the iesl support it?

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #337 of 817
Will the iESL come in black at some point?

Aug 2, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #338 of 817
I don't have a lot to compare to, though I did have the Koss E90 and Stax 323A but not when I had the TT2.

Anyway, I was about to give up on the iESL (and potentially e-stats entirely) until I got the TT2 and connected it with balanced out in Amp mode. DAC mode works but then there is no volume control. Compared to having it connected to the Pro iCAN it can get deafening before it distorts. I've also been playing with dynamics using the XLR on the front, which makes for easy A/Bing with e-stats and is surprisingly good.
So, I'm thoroughly enjoying it enough now to keep and don't see any reason to go for one of those crazy expensive energizers, though maybe I'd change my mind if I actually heard them.
If you have a TT2 already and an iESL it's definitely worth trying.

Hi, my iESL is on the way and I have my TT2 ready and my custom cable dual XLR to 4-pin XLR as well.

Just wanted to double check on the wiring because there's a lot of people frying their TT2 due to lack of proper knowledge with banana plug adapters, speakers and whatnot.

So, do you have the diagram on your cable? Thanks!

Aug 2, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #339 of 817
If the iesl is connected to an appropriately rated amp and a 4pin xlr male to female adapter could it be safely used with the Audeze LCD-R ribbon headphone?

As long as those cans are safe to use with that amp, iESL will make them a happy couple.

Basically, as long as the amp can source the current can the iesl support it?

Our Pro iESL can output 640V RMS for 16Ω loads and 320V RMS for 64Ω loads.

Will the iESL come in black at some point?

We'd have to upgrade it to a Black Label product first :wink:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #340 of 817
Aug 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #342 of 817
Hi, my iESL is on the way and I have my TT2 ready and my custom cable dual XLR to 4-pin XLR as well.

Just wanted to double check on the wiring because there's a lot of people frying their TT2 due to lack of proper knowledge with banana plug adapters, speakers and whatnot.

So, do you have the diagram on your cable? Thanks!
Not sure exactly what you're asking. I bought one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018ZN9IXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and another one on eBay which was similar. Both work great. Just plug the 2 to the TT2 and the single plug end into the iESL. 8 months of this and never any problems.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #343 of 817
Aug 5, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #344 of 817
Well after 6 months of having used my iESL with only the Pro iCAN previously, I can now finally say I enjoy it! As I and others have stated, using the HDMI connection to power it isn't ideal. Difficult to get at a good volume without distortion and/or tripping the iCAN from overheating.

I upgraded to the Chord Hugo TT2 largely in hopes of it improving the iESL and the 2 headphones I use with it. My special cable arrived today to be able to power the iESL directly from the balanced outs in amp & high gain mode from the TT2. I was about to give up on electrostatics altogether and had wondered if my iESL was defective. Nope, finally amazing! Can be blasted without distortion and the sound is so much more full and pleasing. The Stax SR-007s have finally become TOTL sounding and even the Koss ESP/95X sounds better than I imagined it could. Both are now completely different headphones!

Alternatively I connected the TT2 to the iCAN balanced and powered the iESL with the HDMI cable. While that was an improvement over having the same DAC connected via RCA in DAC mode, it's just so much better going directly to the iESL via balanced & amp mode. You'll need one of these cables though.

So if you're not thrilled with the iCAN/iESL HDMI setup, don't give up and try driving the iESL via XLR with a more powerful amp. The iCAN pairing with the TT2 with non-electrostatics is also pretty amazing.
In my last note I said I found the iESL/iCan combo more appealing than the stat drivers I had tried for my SR-009S phones. I mentioned I'm a bit unusual in preferring crossfeed, so any decent amp with this feature will have an advantage of sorts over a conventional amp/driver. On subsequently reading robo24's note, however, I removed the HDMI and substituted a custom balanced cable from the iCan to the iESL, and ran both with their separate power supplies. I thought this resulted in an improvement - although whether due to the additional power supply or the analogue connection I can't say. The cable is simply Canare starquad, with Neutrik connectors.

But the real improvement for me came when I substituted my Moon 430HA for the iCan. The Moon is my preferred amp for dynamic phones (it has an analogue crossfeed option). I think it's a remarkably 'effortless' amp, capable of great refinement in reproducing acoustic instruments. The iESL seems to me uncanny in translating the Moon's qualities with the SR-009S. And I believe this combo reduces congestion and improves dynamic range even though the Moon's somewhat less powerful than the iCan (I find with the iESL I generally run the Moon between 12 and 3 o'clock, on the low-gain setting). I must say that, for the first time in my the experience, the Stax phones have the 'organic' appeal of dynamic phones. As I mentioned earlier, the iCan is quieter than the Moon (which has some very slight transformer hum). And I think it's a very decent amp. But the Moon/iESL combo is quite spectacular I think. Like robo24, I'm convinced the iESL is an excellent option for translating the qualities of amps that have a particular appeal.

For context, I'll mention that I also enjoy HD800S and Empyrean phones thru the Moon - always with crossfeed. My source is the Marantz SA10 digital player. The Marantz is connected to the Moon by van den Hul balanced analogue cables - The Mountain. I listen to classical music.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #345 of 817
Hi..I want to ask, does ESL cause the sound quality to be bad if I connect to HUGO TT2, because I found the details are different if I use ICAN+ESL

Have I made the wrong connection? can give me advice or explanation. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back