iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Apr 10, 2015 at 2:11 PM Post #541 of 3,458

So far all reports appear to come from users of one specific (and obscure) playback software on a specific OS. 

I assume that your reference to the "obscure" playback software is to HQ Player.  Obviously it is important that users of HQ Player do submit support tickets so that you can verify and hopefully address any issues.  I also want to note that iFi has been terrific in working with users on maximizing useability of their hardware!

My only reason for responding is to note that among those who have done the most robust testing of playback software, HQ Player seems to be truly head and shoulders above the rest in terms of sound quality.  Getting there isn't necessarily easy as the software leaves a lot to be desired in terms of its library functions and learning to correctly apply the various filtering choices provided takes additional learning (and I often default to the easier to use JRiver, Audirvana or Amarra), but if your ultimate desire is to get the best possible listening experience from digital music files, then figuring out how to make the iFi DSD Pro work well with HQ player should be well worth the effort. 

Apr 10, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #542 of 3,458
+1...love HQ Player, occasionally I get stoppages during playback with my micro idsd. I was not sure of the cause.

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #544 of 3,458
Apr 15, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #546 of 3,458
Have the final spec's been announced?

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #549 of 3,458
"Shhhh.....we're huntin' wabbits".................................."What's up doc??"
popcorn.gif

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #552 of 3,458
Is the iDAC2 a desktop DAC (with no amp) under the new PRO series? 

Yes and no.

It has its own thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/754820/idac2-is-a-coming-internal-discussions

Apr 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #555 of 3,458
HQPlayer?  I don't see the big deal.  Its best sound quality is in native mode.  All its other features require conversion to PCM.  I don't care what Miska or anyone else says, to do DSP on DSD requires changing the fundamental nature of the format.  And it doesn't matter what the sample rate is.  It has to be filtered, therefore there will be many, many redundant samples, making the higher sample rate just a great big waste of space, quite honestly.  Also, quite honestly, the filter performance of the DSP may not be any better than DXD.  

If you need volume control on DSD, stick with analog.  Like iFi has been saying all along.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back