iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Jan 16, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #317 of 3,458
  Hi All.

Thank Crunchie it is Friday.

There are the latest specs, they are subject to change and we may throw in one or two surprises (cos we know you like surprises).

Have confirmed iwth the R&D people that this is what we can divulge.

iCAN Pro

Here you go:

Key features are:
  • Balanced Output options on 3-Pin & 4-Pin XLR plus 6.3mm Jack on front panel.
  • Unbalanced outputs on 6.3mm Jack (direct) and two 3.5mm Jacks with built-in fixed iEMatch attenuation on front panel to drive IEMs etc. (same attenuation as in iDSD micro).
  • Balanced XLR & RCA outputs on back can carry Headphone out signal (for use as preamp or with Electrostatic Energiser) or loop through signal from inputs (for use with external pre-amp).
  • 1 pair of XLR Inputs and three pairs of RCA Inputs.
  • 20V maximum output, > 600mW into 600 Ohm headphones, appx 16,000mW maximum into 16 Ohm and appx. 6,000 mW continuous output into 16Ohm.
  • Three levels of gain selectable from Front Panel.
  • Balanced ALPS Volume control with remote control.
  • 3D Holographic® for Headphones and XBass® (each adjustable in 3-Levels + Off).
  • Class A operation for all stages up to 240mW/600 Ohm, circuitry derived from professional tube-based studio equipment, implemented in a hybrid design mixing J-Fets, Bipolar transistors and Mosfets (as in Micro iCAN).
  • Full Dual-Mono design including internal power supplies, supplied with 15V/4A Ultra Low Noise PSU (Generation 2 design as also the updated PSU for Micro).
  • Optional Electrostatic Headphone Energiser in separate Box will be introduced, 1,700V Peak-Peak maximum output, Bias selectable for Stax HiFi/Pro, Sennheiser and others, Output Levels selectable, 3 * Stax Pro & HiFi Sockets fitted.

Balanced Headphone Amplifier

PowerSource:
External DC 15V/4A
Inputs (Back):
1 x XLR True Balanced Stereo

3 x RCA Stereo
Output Front):
4-Pin XLR Headphone Balanced

Dual 3-Pin XLR Headphone Balanced

6.3mm Headphone x2, single ended or balanced

6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter included

3.5mm iEMatch attenuated x 2
Output (back):
XLR selectable Loop or HP Out

RCA selectable Loop or HP Out
Volume Control:
Motorised ALPS 6-Way potentiometer in unique extended range series/shunt operation

Analogue Processing:
X-Bass, +3dB at 80Hz, 160Hz, 320Hz 

3D Sound. 30/45/60 Degrees virtual Speaker angle
Gain:
0dB, 12dB and 24dB user-selectable
Signal to Noise Ratio:
>117dB(A)
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD):
<0.003%
Frequency Response:
0.5Hz to 500KHz(-3dB)
Output Power (16R cont):
> 6,000mW
Output Voltage (600R):
>20V (Balanced); > 10V (single ended)
Size:
220mm x 62mm X 190mm (W X H X D including feet and connectors)

Looking at the Specs, think I just had an eargasm and I haven't heard it yet! Gotta get me the EL-8s now!
o2smile.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #318 of 3,458
Whooaaa, the specs looks so fantastic :-D

Looks like ifi will demo the iCan Pro with Lowther loudspeakers :-D

May I request for 2 flavors of volume controls, both analog and digital volume control?
Thanks!

This isn't a DAC or doesn't do anything in the digital domain, does it? Why would you want a digital volume control?

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #319 of 3,458

This isn't a DAC or doesn't do anything in the digital domain, does it? Why would you want a digital volume control?

Ah yes, that's right, this is only iCan Pro, i get mixed up with the iDSD Pro.
Thanks for the correction!

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #321 of 3,458
If the iDSD Pro will be around 1500 Euro ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-mini-desktop-line-discussion-thread/210#post_11125574 ) how much would be price for the iCAN Pro? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #323 of 3,458
Wow! Those are some pretty cool specs/features/pictures. I am not in the market for a new amp but that sounds pretty sweet!

Any chance it would have line and variable level outs for use as a preamp with powered speakers?  Speaking of which, what about the iMON i saw photos of a while back?

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #324 of 3,458
Are these pro-audio targeted units half-rack-width in size?

Will an adaptor be available to hold two of them side by side in a standard 19 inch rack?

What are the cooling requirements?

I'm struggling to see pro-audio types being impressed with wall-wart plugs and flimsy DC power cables and connectors. Is there no way the power supplies can be built in to these larger boxes?

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #325 of 3,458
One more thing. The micro iTUBE emits alarming noises during the first few seconds of warm-up. These can be very alarming if you have your iTUBE connecting to power amps and the latter are ON.

In the iTUBE Pro and in the iCAN Pro you really must include a circuit to mute that noise until the valve has settled. Having to turn the device on and then wait 30 seconds before turning anything else on is not going to cut any ice with pro users.

Jan 17, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #326 of 3,458
It is tube gear, so you really should let it warm up first before turning everything else on or plugging things in.

Jan 18, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #327 of 3,458
It is tube gear, so you really should let it warm up first before turning everything else on or plugging things in.

No. Sorry but I entirely disagree with that. It might be OK for home users. It isn't acceptable in a pro-audio environment. What's more it isn't necessary. It's very easy to implement a simple timer circuit that mutes the valve for the first 30 seconds.

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #328 of 3,458
No. Sorry but I entirely disagree with that. It might be OK for home users. It isn't acceptable in a pro-audio environment. What's more it isn't necessary. It's very easy to implement a simple timer circuit that mutes the valve for the first 30 seconds.

Agree to disagree then.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #329 of 3,458

Unless I missed something, I somehow don't think it is aimed at the real professional market, it's just a cooler name for the flagship line than "mini" as was originally planned. However, I agree with your sentiments that they should take some extra time to iron out all of the hiccups and release a fully polished product with this line. So things like the noise you are talking about with the micro iTube or the popping between DSD tracks when using DoP in micro iDSD should be completely resolved. Functionally and physically it should be fully polished. 

I have to admit it is intriguing, but that would be a pretty large stack of stuff with the iDSD, iTUBE and iCAN running to almost $5k! That is serious bread! I have a hard time imagining anyone going for that stack when the iDSD is supposed to have its own pretty smoking headphone output.

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #330 of 3,458
Unless I missed something, I somehow don't think it is aimed at the real professional market, it's just a cooler name for the flagship line than "mini" as was originally planned. However, I agree with your sentiments that they should take some extra time to iron out all of the hiccups and release a fully polished product with this line. So things like the noise you are talking about with the micro iTube or the popping between DSD tracks when using DoP in micro iDSD should be completely resolved. Functionally and physically it should be fully polished. 

I have to admit it is intriguing, but that would be a pretty large stack of stuff with the iDSD, iTUBE and iCAN running to almost $5k! That is serious bread! I have a hard time imagining anyone going for that stack when the iDSD is supposed to have its own pretty smoking headphone output.

Go back a few pages, they said that the iDSD does mutichannel as they are working with pro industry people. The DSD popping is well covered too and has been addressed in a firmware update. I play through ASIO on JRMC. I think that is over on the crowd design thread (was a while back).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back