iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Sep 25, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #3,046 of 3,458
Qobuz cannot be used in Israel.
Thats too bad, Qobuz is both better and cheaper here in the U.S.
In Canada they have the same issue, they've been waiting forever for Qobuz, I know a bunch of Canadians that will dump TIDAL in a heartbeat, once Qobuz is made available in Canada.

MQA is not upsampling but some kind of ziping hi- res tracks.
Actually it truly is upsampling of 44.1 and 48kHz source files using leaky minimum phase filters. It is also lossy, though one could make a case it is lossy in an inaudible way, but lossy all the same. Lastly, there is no "deblurring" or improvement of any time domain characteristics as claimed. In fact it's the other way around, testing has shown it to slightly degrade that, though again, likely inaudible.

Wiim can play them successfully. Why cannot it do it from Tidal?
Good question, that app isn't held in very high regard from what I've gathered.

The catalogue on Qobuz is poor compared to Tidal
But thats just your own opinion, of which you are of course entitled, but it's not some broad truism. Music preference is a matter of taste. What catalog you might like or dislike can and will differ with other's point of view.
I don't think Qobuz will ever be good enough to satisfy my needs on its own.
Thats too bad, as Qobuz is real hi-res and real Redbook CD-quality, where MQA on TIDAL simply isn't.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #3,050 of 3,458
Not everything he said is a fact. No one asked for it. No one "spout non truths".

The Pro iDSD is sold as an MQA compatible product, it's clearly marked on the box and all the promotion. It's perfectly reasonable that owners should want to stream Tidal with it, and discuss how to do so on this forum.

It is incredibly tedious, that every single time Tidal or MQA is discussed on any internet forum, someone feels the need to correct the 'fools'. Why don't you people keep your tiresome repetitive opinions to yourselves, do you really think anyone here hasn't heard it a hundred times already.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #3,052 of 3,458
Thats too bad, Qobuz is both better and cheaper here in the U.S.
In Canada they have the same issue, they've been waiting forever for Qobuz, I know a bunch of Canadians that will dump TIDAL in a heartbeat, once Qobuz is made available in Canada.

Actually it truly is upsampling of 44.1 and 48kHz source files using leaky minimum phase filters. It is also lossy, though one could make a case it is lossy in an inaudible way, but lossy all the same. Lastly, there is no "deblurring" or improvement of any time domain characteristics as claimed. In fact it's the other way around, testing has shown it to slightly degrade that, though again, likely inaudible.

Good question, that app isn't held in very high regard from what I've gathered.

But thats just your own opinion, of which you are of course entitled, but it's not some broad truism. Music preference is a matter of taste. What catalog you might like or dislike can and will differ with other's point of view.

Thats too bad, as Qobuz is real hi-res and real Redbook CD-quality, where MQA on TIDAL simply isn't.
Thank you @MikeyFresh
I did not write that MQA is lossless. It is a compression as you wrote.
When I compared same tracks in 3 formats - CD quality to MQA format to real Hi-Res format, I found out that MQA is better than CD quality and lesser than real Hi-Res….
I cannot purchase every title I want in real HiRes format . So Tidal MQA is a very good alternative.
It is a shame that when The Pro IDSD is declared as full MQA compliant , its streaming application does not support it.
I also think it is a pity that when IFI AUDIO invest so much for this new signature device , they ignore the streaming part and do not try to support MQA or make this device a real Roon Ready device

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,057 of 3,458
doesn’t matter man xbox for example only lets certain 3rd party approved over usb on series x , i use a hdmi splitter and run optical into back if idsd

Extracting audio stream from HDMI is what I would do too, yup. It's not elegant in the sense that we need a speakrate box etc., but if that's the way to send data to a fancy DAC, so be it :)

Still, we're working hard on making USB viable.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 26, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,059 of 3,458
Extracting audio stream from HDMI is what I would do too, yup. It's not elegant in the sense that we need a speakrate box etc., but if that's the way to send data to a fancy DAC, so be it :)

Still, we're working hard on making USB viable.
yeah not elegant but that’s on Microsoft not you guys haha bravo for working on it but

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #3,060 of 3,458
For my main listening rig, I have a "high end" setup now of the Denafrips Gaia, Terminator Plus, and Pathos Acoustics InEar headphone amp that excel at classical, jazz, and anything hi-res. I've moved my iCan Pro and iDSD Pro to the home office, and I sometimes find myself in the office late at night listening to Day Wave on the iFi combo. While the main setup is technically superior, with a lot higher resolution and intensity, the iFi set retains a certain level of fun I haven't been able to achieve in the main setup -- especially when streaming to the iDSD via Ethernet or using the iDSD's built-in micro-SD Card reader. The main setup is kind of like going to and attending a live performance versus the iFi setup, which is more like watching the live performance on your home theater system in your living room alone at home in a pair of worn pajamas.
Gotta ask how did you get the Ethernet and streaming to work, does Qobuz work
never mind it works like a charm once I ran a dedicated cat 6 to it from the router, definitely better than going through node 2i the new interface is much better as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back