iFi audio NEO iDSD - The Performance Edition is here! (INFO: Post 837, Page 56)
Mar 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #647 of 1,150
Mar 5, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #651 of 1,150
Neo with 1.35v firmware + burson soloist 3xp + HD800s = incredible synergy!

Hd800s was just borrowed from my friend :)
1614934997301.png

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #653 of 1,150
So how would you compare the sound of NEO with BL?
They share similarities in presentation but the tone of that presentation differs. The NEO SE and BL outputs are similar in tone (slightly warm) but the BL has more depth and resolution. The balanced NEO output is cleaner and more balanced in tone and has greater separation than either SE output.

Mar 6, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #654 of 1,150
So, after more than a month with this thing....here's some impressions with my NEO:

iPower X 1 Low Res.jpg

This power supply definitely makes a difference with the iDSD NEO, even though it's quite a small change compared to the stock iPower.

I think the biggest improvement I saw was with microdynamics in the background....especially things like small guitar riffs and overall mids, depending on the type of music you listen to of course. Not only do the tiniest of details jump out at you more, there's also an increased sense of resolution/clarity.

Treble appears to have improved slighty which not only makes it more smoother but also helps tame the occassional spikes and harshness from less than pretty recordings on my Focal Clear Pro.

Bass appears to have somewhat improved by becoming a tad tighter and authoritative. I'm not sure if it has to do with the iPower X or changing my EQ settings but I've noticed quite an increase in actual legit subbass. I listen to a lot of alternative rock, pop and 80's trash.
Recently I was listening to some latin Reggaeton and was quite shocked at how deep the subbass went. Don't get me wrong...it's not the skull shaking basshead type but its very apparent and prominent lol. Not sure if the iPower X was contributing to this though :thinking:

I don't have any really sensitive iems to test the noise floor with but I'm willing to bet that the iPower X would practically eliminate any hiss like it did with another member here who used it with his iFi Zen Can Signature(which apparently includes the iPower X).

I'd say this thing improved my setup by around 5-10%. Because I'm generally poor, I had no plans to buy an overpriced powerful amp to pair with my NEO anytime soon so this power supply at £99 was my "upgrade" lol.

Imo, @iFi audio should have included the iPower X for free with the NEO, at least for the 50-100 units sold or should have sold it as a combo for £750. I believe this would have especially helped for sensitive iem users where noise/hiss was mentioned negatively in almost all reviews.

Overall, I would recommend the iPower X if you want a small improvement in your audio chain. Please don't expect miracles....hell, many people may experience zero difference in their systems so keep your expectations in check. Perhaps what tipped me over the edge for purchasing this power supply was that it was explicitly recommended in the NEO's own bloody user manual lol.

It's deffo worth a try cause it isn't terrible.

iPower X 2 Low Res.jpg

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #655 of 1,150
So, after more than a month with this thing....here's some impressions with my NEO:

iPower X 1 Low Res.jpg

This power supply definitely makes a difference with the iDSD NEO, even though it's quite a small change compared to the stock iPower.

I think the biggest improvement I saw was with microdynamics in the background....especially things like small guitar riffs and overall mids, depending on the type of music you listen to of course. Not only do the tiniest of details jump out at you more, there's also an increased sense of resolution/clarity.

Treble appears to have improved slighty which not only makes it more smoother but also helps tame the occassional spikes and harshness from less than pretty recordings on my Focal Clear Pro.

Bass appears to have somewhat improved by becoming a tad tighter and authoritative. I'm not sure if it has to do with the iPower X or changing my EQ settings but I've noticed quite an increase in actual legit subbass. I listen to a lot of alternative rock, pop and 80's trash.
Recently I was listening to some latin Reggaeton and was quite shocked at how deep the subbass went. Don't get me wrong...it's not the skull shaking basshead type but its very apparent and prominent lol. Not sure if the iPower X was contributing to this though :thinking:

I don't have any really sensitive iems to test the noise floor with but I'm willing to bet that the iPower X would practically eliminate any hiss like it did with another member here who used it with his iFi Zen Can Signature(which apparently includes the iPower X).

I'd say this thing improved my setup by around 5-10%. Because I'm generally poor, I had no plans to buy an overpriced powerful amp to pair with my NEO anytime soon so this power supply at £99 was my "upgrade" lol.

Imo, @iFi audio should have included the iPower X for free with the NEO, at least for the 50-100 units sold or should have sold it as a combo for £750. I believe this would have especially helped for sensitive iem users where noise/hiss was mentioned negatively in almost all reviews.

Overall, I would recommend the iPower X if you want a small improvement in your audio chain. Please don't expect miracles....hell, many people may experience zero difference in their systems so keep your expectations in check. Perhaps what tipped me over the edge for purchasing this power supply was that it was explicitly recommended in the NEO's own bloody user manual lol.

It's deffo worth a try cause it isn't terrible.

iPower X 2 Low Res.jpg
I also noticed same thing when I drive hd800s directly from xlr output of the neo. When I connect neo though to external amplifier, that is when I don't notice any difference.

Mar 8, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #657 of 1,150
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #658 of 1,150
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #659 of 1,150
But still no Neo firmware for Mac 🤨.....

We're still working on it!

This applies to all of our customers until then - we're happy to arrange a return label and do the update over on our end in our US/UK offices if you absolutely can't do access a PC to do the update on.

Thanks for your understanding and your patience!

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #660 of 1,150
Is anyone else out there using a Raspberry Pi4 with a NEO?

I use an ifi iPowerX to supply power to the Pi. Then the included USB3 cable from the Pi4 to NEO iDSD. I am running Ropieee as a wireless node.

In this configuration I am getting NEO drops on and off my network randomly. It actually quite difficult to listen to music.

Adding the NEO external power supply works a bit, but while using the USB3 cable I still get dropouts. I don't know how to confirm, but I believe this is a Raspberry Pi issue. I think it can't provide enough power to the NEO and run its wireless.

To resolve this issue I power the NEO iDSD with its adapter and use a USB 2.0 cable to the NEO iDSD from the Pi4. No issues at this point.

I thought it was a wireless issue, but I upgraded to a really fancy router and eliminated that as a possible cause.

As an aside this is the best overall DAC in my system of the 7 (or 8) I have tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back