iFi Audio Micro iTube2 Buffer
Jan 21, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #31 of 359
What's the sonic difference between the push pull and SET? Wonder if you could share your impressions with us.

Finally completed my desktop setup today. iRack + iSilencer + iPurifier 2 + iDAC2 + iTube2 + iCAN SE.

The push pull setting of iTube2 is pure eargasm....

Jan 21, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #32 of 359
What's the sonic difference between the push pull and SET? Wonder if you could share your impressions with us.

Didn't went ahead and A-B them myself but my brief first impression when I switched from SET to Push Pull is that it has a lot more "oomph" to it. Music just sounds a lot more bodied.

You should go down to Stereo and see you can try them yourself.

Edit: SET does sound a lot more "softer" and relaxed than classic & push pull. Push pull sounds kind of "V" shape to me as compared to classic though both of them have about the same amount of oomph.

Jan 21, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #34 of 359
@Xamdou Thanks for sharing. Didn't realise it's already at Stereo. Will definitely go have a listen.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #35 of 359
I grabbed one from Music Direct, along with an iCAN SE.  I intend to try the iTube2 in a variety of scenarios to see where I like it best:
iUSB3 nano > iDAC2 > iTube2 > iCAN Pro
iDSD BL > iTube2 > iCAN SE
iDSD BL > iTube2 > T+A or my Almarro tube amp, depending upon mood

I also intend to try it in the tape loop of my T+A Music Receiver just to get a quicker feel as to what it adds.

That's going to take some time to ferret out all the permutations.  I use my iDSD BL in a mobile mode in various places in (and out of) my house, but I have found myself using it quite often in my bedroom late at night.  I prefer to keep my iCAN Pro in another room, but I sometimes miss the tube flavor when just listening to the BL.  My hope is that I will like it best with the iDSD BL/iCAN SE pairing, so I can enjoy the sound of tubes when I feel like it in that secondary system.  I'm hoping that I won't find it as valuable with the iCAN Pro in the chain...  So I don't have to buy 2.  I need to save for the iDSD Pro :)

Jan 23, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 359
  I grabbed one from Music Direct, along with an iCAN SE.  I intend to try the iTube2 in a variety of scenarios to see where I like it best:
iUSB3 nano > iDAC2 > iTube2 > iCAN Pro
iDSD BL > iTube2 > iCAN SE

My hope is that I will like it best with the iDSD BL/iCAN SE pairing, so I can enjoy the sound of tubes when I feel like it in that secondary system.  I'm hoping that I won't find it as valuable with the iCAN Pro in the chain.

Since the iTube2's design mimics the internals of the iCan Pro's tube section, it'd be great if you could compare the iTube2+iCan SE to the iCan Pro. Just wondering how much better the (single-end) output from the Pro sounds.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #37 of 359

Since the iTube2's design mimics the internals of the iCan Pro's tube section, it'd be great if you could compare the iTube2+iCan SE to the iCan Pro. Just wondering how much better the (single-end) output from the Pro sounds.

Will do, I'm curious about the comparison, myself.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 359
I have ordered one from Stereo.sg. Its on the way!
I will pair it with IDSD BL + IUSB 3 + ICAN SE > Hifiman HE560
Would test it as a buffer to Burson CV2+ (as pre-amplifier) + Burson Timekeeper to test the speaker 3D+ and Bass.

Jan 24, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #39 of 359
And I would put a full stack of first Gen iFi Micro components for sale shortly :D

iUSB + ICAN + IDSD + iTUBE

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #41 of 359
I received my iTube and it's currently settling in.  I took a quick listen after about ~4 hours of warmup; first impression is that the Tube+ switch modes (SET, "classic", P-P) differences are somewhat subtle, at least on the single piece of music I listened to (a violin concerto).  My first take is that the classic mode reminds me of the voicing of the Tube mode on the iCAN Pro; open, detailed, with a fairly wide soundstage, with nice, full timbre and good dynamics.  SET reminded me a little of Tube+, where the soundstage narrows somewhat but also deepens, timbres richen but dynamics and detail are lessened.  Push-Pull sounded very harmonically rich and what I would call classically "tubey" from a hi-fi perspective, reminding me a little of my old Audio Research SP16/VS55 combo of some years ago.  I need to revisit the P-P mode as I really didn't spend much time in it.

Compared to the sound without the iTube in the chain (iDAC2 > iCAN Pro Solid State mode), when putting the iTube in the chain between the iDAC2 and iCAN Pro I heard a similar slight but meaningful fleshing out of instrument tones and weight, as well as slightly less outline definition to the images but a better sense of 3-dimensionality.  This is very similar to the iCAN Pro SS vs Tube mode, where I hear similar differences.  I did not seriously compare vs the iCAN Pro's Tube or Tube+ mode, though, as I don't have 2 perfectly matching interconnects (except the ifi freebies, which are OK but I find somewhat slow and veiled).  I'll try to rectify that situation and revisit later, as I'd like to flesh out the "reminds me a little" statements above.  

My first thought, though, was that the "classic" mode is really well implemented, with no real negatives detected, at least in the initial quick listen.  I hope that holds out, as it should make the iTube2>iCAN SE into a nice little facsimile, at least in some small way, of the iCAN Pro itself.  

My impressions may change radically as the unit burns in, and as I listen to a wider variety of music.  This was literally less than one hour of listening, so I reserve the right to flipflop :) I really need to let the iTube (and the new iCAN SE I got to go along with it) burn in for a bit before "real" listening commences.  

In any case, to pass the time while that occurs...  @iFi audio , I'm curious as to what is happening when I flip the switch on the adjustable Tube+ feature.  I initially thought this would only be a change to the global feedback amount, similar to the Tube to Tube+ change on the iCAN Pro.  My iTube2 is not at all settled in, and therefore my initial findings may be invalid, but what I heard suggested there may be more going on here than a feedback change.  Curious to know what that switch is really doing :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #42 of 359
@beolab: used LCD3F above. Normally use LCDX with my iDSD BL, and my LCD3 with the iCAN Pro, so the LCDX will do most of the heavy listening once my iTube2 is settled in.

This may take quite awhile. Have about 30 hours on the iTube and 6 hours on the iCAN SE (just came in today). The iCAN SE doesn't sound very good straight out of the box. Will need some time to burn in, I'll be leaving it alone for awhile, check in every now and again to see how it's going.

I'll report back in a few weeks.

Jan 26, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #43 of 359
@beolab: used LCD3F above. Normally use LCDX with my iDSD BL, and my LCD3 with the iCAN Pro, so the LCDX will do most of the heavy listening once my iTube2 is settled in.

This may take quite awhile. Have about 30 hours on the iTube and 6 hours on the iCAN SE (just came in today). The iCAN SE doesn't sound very good straight out of the box. Will need some time to burn in, I'll be leaving it alone for awhile, check in every now and again to see how it's going.

I'll report back in a few weeks.

Thanks for all input!
Have you tested the Xbass+ ( for loudspeakers) funktion on iTube II yet through headphones, and if you got time to test if the Xbass+ function works even if you engage the Direct setting insted of pre-amp mode?

Jan 26, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #44 of 359
Thanks for all input!
Have you tested the Xbass+ ( for loudspeakers) funktion on iTube II yet through headphones, and if you got time to test if the Xbass+ function works even if you engage the Direct setting insted of pre-amp mode?

Just tested this for you, @Beolab : the XBass is indeed functional when the iTube2 is in Buffer (aka Direct, no volume pot in play) mode.  3D is, as well, FWIW.  Hope that helps.

After I tested that, I thought I'd play around a bit; I switched the iTube2 into preamp mode, maxed the volume on the iCAN SE (in 0DB gain mode) and used the iTube as a preamp.  Sounded different; more overtly tubey this way.  Something to play around with in the future.

Lots to try in the future: iDAC2/iDSD BL filter choices, iTube2 Tube+ choices, XBass/3D choices, which preamp to use choices...  So many combinations to try, the blessing and the curse of ifi gear. :)

I picked up an iRack to make this all easier to manage.  It's fantastic and does a great deal to minimize what felt like clutter to me.

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #45 of 359

Just tested this for you, @Beolab : the XBass is indeed functional when the iTube2 is in Buffer (aka Direct, no volume pot in play) mode.  3D is, as well, FWIW.  Hope that helps.

After I tested that, I thought I'd play around a bit; I switched the iTube2 into preamp mode, maxed the volume on the iCAN SE (in 0DB gain mode) and used the iTube as a preamp.  Sounded different; more overtly tubey this way.  Something to play around with in the future.

Lots to try in the future: iDAC2/iDSD BL filter choices, iTube2 Tube+ choices, XBass/3D choices, which preamp to use choices...  So many combinations to try, the blessing and the curse of ifi gear. :)

I picked up an iRack to make this all easier to manage.  It's fantastic and does a great deal to minimize what felt like clutter to me.

Yup, iRack does the job just fine once stack of our products is the case.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back