IFi Audio Micro iDSD X-Bass
Dec 15, 2015 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi

I've just got my iDSD back from iFi after they repaired the headphone socket. One channel had stopped working. An hour later I noticed the X-Bass toggle had stopped working. There is absolutely no difference between the two settings. Tried it on Bjork's Hyper-Ballad. Nothing.

iFi has come back and said there isn't much difference between the two settings. I've had the unit for a year and I could always tell the difference. 

What's your experience with X-Bass?

Regards

Darren

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Instead of guessing, I'll suggest you go and download RMAA, set it up and measure micro iDSD's XBass using your PC's soundcard.

Dec 16, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm not guessing however as I have had the unit for some time and the difference was always audible, whereas now, nothing.

Regards

Darren

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 6
  Hi

Thanks for the reply. I'm not guessing however as I have had the unit for some time and the difference was always audible, whereas now, nothing.

Regards

Darren

I am a basshead. Nice to meet you
biggrin.gif

The Xbass is somewhat subtle and well done and is audible like you recall.
It is THE amp/dac of choice for the extreme basshead thread. We use EQ of course.
I have found iFi  to be very reasonable. Creating a thread in question of a vendor that has a good rep and is active daily on these boards might not be the best way to resolve an issue.

The 2 most expensive items I own have reps and they have never responded to me
confused.gif

iFi has never not responded.  They are pretty cool and reasonable. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi

They have responded to me, but tried to fob me off saying X-Bass is very subtle. I've had the unit for a year, I know what X-Bass does and I know it no longer works!

It is out of frustration that I have posted on here hoping people would agree that X-Bass is noticeable.

Regards

Darren

Dec 16, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 6
  Hi

They have responded to me, but tried to fob me off saying X-Bass is very subtle. I've had the unit for a year, I know what X-Bass does and I know it no longer works!

It is out of frustration that I have posted on here hoping people would agree that X-Bass is noticeable.

Regards

Darren

What you should do is to take the measurement as I have suggested, and if it doesn't show any frequency difference between XBass on and off, then you would have known that something is wrong with your micro iDSD. Just show iFi the measurement so they can fix it for you. If it does show difference, then obviously your ears might have a bad day or two, which isn't that uncommon as I know I tend to get very sensitive to treble from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back