iFi Audio iOne official thread - There can be only one!
Mar 7, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #16 of 454
That's the first time I saw such an adapter. Great tip. Thanks!

An iPower 5V would be ideal but you will need to source a 5.5mmx2.1mm to USB A female adaptor as iFi don't include one with the iPower 5V.

For example:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EQ1UN5G/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #17 of 454
Finally the issue was resolved and thankfully the ione will be on its way soon. I really appreciate the level of customer support provided by @StereoSingapore . Thanks

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #18 of 454
There can be only one… part 1/3
Wireless audio done right

Part 1. There is only the iONE - It’s a Kind of Magic

At iFi, we strive to look at what's in front of us, predict what audio enthusiasts might enjoy, then develop a solution, execute it in our regular unerring fashion and deliver as much musical goodness as it gets. Hence the iOne is not only wireless, which all by itself is great, but also able to compete with lots of DACs on the market with ease. Just as the iDSD nano, the iOne is quite similar in terms of functionality, yet wireless. Hence the only one of its kind.

1.1. introduction

Wireless data transmission has been with us for a long time now, it is an integral part of our daily routine. For many of us, our smartphone or laptop has become if not the main source for new music, at least a significant one. From Apple Music or Google Play to Spotify & Tidal, streaming music is available. Yet we have many other sources remaining, be it a CD/DVD player, a games console, a set-top box, a smart TV or a computer.

The mobile audio market is saturated with wirelessly operated products. Even though these aren't yet as popular as wired setups of high quality, it's only a matter of time when wireless advancements come through. The situation in home stereo is slightly different. More casual, one-box-to-have-it-all solutions are of course equipped with some kind of wireless transmission. Yet when it comes down to stand alone, full-sized setups... laptops and - to a degree - CD/vinyl still rule for the vast majority of audiophiles. One can go NAS + wifi based iOS/Android app control, that's true. Yet to many people this kind of setup is challenging to say the least.

Therefore one question is in order: is there a device on the market, which not only upgrades the audio quality of any source equipped with a digital output, but also adds wireless functionality to any wired system, with audiophile quality? And is ready for high-resolution music files? 
Yes. The iOne by iFi audio.

1.2. iOne – target user group... everyone!

The iOne is for everyone – the regular Joe as well as audiophile John. 

This device can be used:

-    in expensive home setups, whose owners crave for wireless functionality. 
-    to pass the signal to another DAC with ease via its SPDIF interface wirelessly or via laptop. 
-    To upgrade the sound of a console or a TV. It can work with PCs and MACs in classic USB-based fashion.
-    if in need of a wireless function in his/her audio chain

The iOne just delivers music. No matter the setup. It's equipped to handle every possible scenario out there and as far as digital playback goes. Stream Spotify or Tidal to the iOne? Yes, to have your cake and eat it is perfectly possible now, with this machine you can have both.  

Part 2. iOne – what is it?

Imagine for a moment if our iDSD nano, iDAC 2 micro and a digital module that escaped from a Retro got together and had a child. In a nutshell that's the iOne.

The name of our latest product symbolizes unity and singularity, as it combines in one enclosure many different digital audio devices and input options. Versatility with quality is its game. 

In short, the iOne is a petite, affordable digital audio hub and a D/A converter loaded to the max with amazing features. It’s a very unique, convenient and interesting product. It allows many different cool applications in any home audio system. 

Stay tuned, there's more!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 9, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #19 of 454
I am wondering if the quality sound from ione is the same with the quality sound of the ipurifier spdif for the similar functionalities that the ipurifier spdif can provide, i.e. upgrading and relocking signal from spdif input. My understanding is that there is no simultaneous spdif input and output in ione thus a direct comparison is not easy unless you have an equivalent in quality to the ione dac.

In addition the ipurifier has the advantage of a better power source but given these differences is the reclocing/regenarate abilities of the ione equivalent? Finally, can the ione and ipurifier used in combination for a better sound quality with a separate dac? (ipurifier directly connected to dac for minimal cable loss)

Mar 10, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #20 of 454
I am wondering if the quality sound from ione is the same with the quality sound of the ipurifier spdif for the similar functionalities that the ipurifier spdif can provide, i.e. upgrading and relocking signal from spdif input. My understanding is that there is no simultaneous spdif input and output in ione thus a direct comparison is not easy unless you have an equivalent in quality to the ione dac.

In addition the ipurifier has the advantage of a better power source but given these differences is the reclocing/regenarate abilities of the ione equivalent? Finally, can the ione and ipurifier used in combination for a better sound quality with a separate dac? (ipurifier directly connected to dac for minimal cable loss)

Let us be clear about the functions:

iOne primary use:
  1. BT (aptX/AAC) -> analogue out
  2. S/PDIF (44.1-192k) -> analogue out
  3. USB (44.1-384k & DSD up to DSD256) -> analogue out

iOne secondary use:
  1. BT (aptX/AAC) -> S/PDIF out
  2. USB (44.1-192k) -> S/PDIF out

iLINK:
  1. USB (44.1-192k) -> S/PDIF out

iPurifier SPDIF:
  1. S/PDIF (opt/coax 44.1 - 192kHz) -> S/PDIF Out

if you need:
  1. a DAC that can also operate as DCC or you want a lot of versatility -> iOne
  2. the best USB to S/PDIF converter for an S/PDIF Input DAC -> iLINK
  3. a S/PDIF re-clocker for an existing S/PDIF input DAC -> iPurifier S/PDIF

While the iONE can ursurp the job of the iLink and it sports Bluetooth, the iLink still does USB -> S/PDIF convertion better.

There is no overlap between iOne and iPurifier S/PDIF except the fact that you do not need to add an iPurifier S/PDIF to an iOne used as DAC with S/PDIF input, because it has in effect got one build in.

If using either iOne or iLINK as USB -> S/PDIF converter with a long cable (> 12") to a DAC, adding an iPurifier SPDIF may improve things, but a day/night difference shouldn't be expected.

Finally, S/PDIF connections with both iOne and iLINK are galvanically isolated and the iPurifier S/PDIF will add galvanic isolation to any coaxial S/PDIF connection.

So there are clear and unambiguous usage cases for each device, with the iLINK upstaged by the young iOne pretender. The latter wishes to take its throne, yes. But in the end is not quite the match for the highest end situations.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 11, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 454
Thanks very much for your reply. I just received mine today and while the unit sound quality wise is amazing I am not happy at all with the Bluetooth performance so far. When I am touching my tablet or phone or macbook in Bluetooth mode the connection has immediate problems and the playback is not tolerable any more. When my device is on the table in front of me and I am not touching it the performance is amazing. But when I am trying to pick it and change a song for example there is a problem in sound due to drop outs in connection. I have another cheaper aptx Bluetooth device that it stays firmly connected to the source no matter how I am using my phone or tablet. I can surf the net or even go to another room with no major issues. Only if I cover my phone with my hands there is small intermediate drop in the signal. With the ione and the iPad the situation is even worse. Even if someone walks momentarily in front of the iPad the sound is completely distorted. Can be anything wrong with my set up or this can be a faulty unit? Are there any tips to fix this or to place the unit more properly?

My other Bluetooth device is made from cheap plastic but also does NOT have any external antenna and although the sound quality is not even close to ione there no dropouts in signal unless I abuse it. I am not sure if the cheap plastic is the reason.

If this is a normal behaviour for the Bluetooth functionality of the ione would be such a shame because the sound that this unit is producing is simply amazing from any input.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #22 of 454
I have one stuck at the customs.. sometimes they can be real asses! Could some one else please throw some light on the BT quality. @iFi audio 

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #23 of 454
I have one stuck at the customs.. sometimes they can be real asses! Could some one else please throw some light on the BT quality. @iFi audio

You will probably be the first customer in the world to own one or hear one.

The display unit at Bristol was not available to listen to.

It will be about another fortnight before they are generally available here in the UK. Not sure about the US.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #24 of 454

It will be about another fortnight before they are generally available here in the UK. Not sure about the US.

cant wait :)

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #25 of 454

I am at London and I already got mine yesterday. I have ordered it on Wednesday. There one or two shops around UK that they have it in stock.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #26 of 454

I am at London and I already got mine yesterday. I have ordered it on Wednesday. There one or two shops around UK that they have it in stock.

Have you received it and set it up already?

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #28 of 454

At very near the wall one could notice also the ipurifier spdif.

very nice indeed.. how is the Burr Brown DAC chip treating you? Tried DSD playback?

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #29 of 454
The set up with cables now is a mess as I am testing different configurations and comparing with the ipurifier​ which is fabulous btw. As ifi audio reply this has also an ipurifier inside but only you can use one digital as input or as an output while in ipurifier
You can have input digital >ipurifier>output digital which in turn means if you have a very competent dac ipurifier is for that job.

I have a decent stereo system but a budget one. My main DAC is inside my marantz 6005pm a decent one but not something hi end as people claim. However the CS4398 is equivalent or better than my dragonfly v1.2 DAC in my personal comparisons if this says something.

Based on only one day of listening, i can I claim that the BB dac of ione is better than my marantz which is for me a very positive fact since i was reasonably happy with my CS 4398 DAC.

Thus in my case ipurifier would be redundant now unless in future I will try a DAC like Mojo let's say.

However, at the current stage Bluetooth performance is a dealbreaker for me since i need Bluetooth for convenience and now is such a delicate function with ione.

I have not and i will never have a DSD file, my best source is tidal master files. Maybe in the far future i will hear DSD from upsampling through a software like audirvana, let's say, but not in the distant future.

Finally, i can claim that in my budget system where the ipurifier is half the price of my amplifier (which also has a DAC) the improvement is huge. Is like buying a better amp or speakers, my wild guess is a better DAC would never give me such an improvement alone. But then one ipurifier is not enough. You need one for the TV and another one for the usb (the usb ipurifier) and/or Bluetooth since from the moment you hear the improvement you cannot go back.

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #30 of 454
The set up with cables now is a mess as I am testing different configurations and comparing with the ipurifier​ which is fabulous btw. As ifi audio reply this has also an ipurifier inside but only you can use one digital as input or as an output while in ipurifier
You can have input digital >ipurifier>output digital which in turn means if you have a very competent dac ipurifier is for that job.

I have a decent stereo system but a budget one. My main DAC is inside my marantz 6005pm a decent one but not something hi end as people claim. However the CS4398 is equivalent or better than my dragonfly v1.2 DAC in my personal comparisons if this says something.

Based on only one day of listening, i can I claim that the BB dac of ione is better than my marantz which is for me a very positive fact since i was reasonably happy with my CS 4398 DAC.

Thus in my case ipurifier would be redundant now unless in future I will try a DAC like Mojo let's say.

However, at the current stage Bluetooth performance is a dealbreaker for me since i need Bluetooth for convenience and now is such a delicate function with ione.

I have not and i will never have a DSD file, my best source is tidal master files. Maybe in the far future i will hear DSD from upsampling through a software like audirvana, let's say, but not in the distant future.

Finally, i can claim that in my budget system where the ipurifier is half the price of my amplifier (which also has a DAC) the improvement is huge. Is like buying a better amp or speakers, my wild guess is a better DAC would never give me such an improvement alone. But then one ipurifier is not enough. You need one for the TV and another one for the usb (the usb ipurifier) and/or Bluetooth since from the moment you hear the improvement you cannot go back.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am planning to add this to my home setup which is a moderate one too. A stereo amplifier and 2 floor standing speakers. Currently i use an old arcam rDAC from my PC to the amplifier through the rDAC. Great DAC with a musical and deep wolfson chip. I have about 10 DSD albums so i was like why not try the iOne from USB for that. I hope the BT issue is resolved in the near future. After this i may get a Micro iDSD BL .. lets see :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back