iFi Audio iOne official thread - There can be only one!
Sep 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #241 of 454
You realize the cables in the iFi provide are for free and you rarely get a full set of cables with any of the typical head-fi products. Nobody is forced to use them.

I for one have always appreciated that iFi included everything I needed to get up and running in the box, so I could play with things on the day I got my parcel, instead of finding that I needed to order a bunch of different cables just to be able to turn the unit on and get tunes.Then if I feel the need I purchase the upgrades I feel I need.

And no, I don’t like purple and blue cables, so I replace them with nice audiophile grade ones with black mesh cover, ever so much expensive ones too. But I’ll not bitch how iFi should have made the free cables black or white or more expensive or this or that.

They should just stop including free items, because they will be always either too short, too long, too stiff, too floppy, the wrong color or the wrong brand for some who will then moan and bitch for days on end, instead of appreciating they got something extra, for free as service to their customers, which you rarely get these days.

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #242 of 454
Why is it wrong for other people to have a different perspective than you do? I don't think anybody said they didn't appreciate what iFi did. You are putting words in our mouths so to speak. If you read carefully you will notice that I suggested they raise the retail price modestly if required to accomplish a slightly more useful USB cable. If for your needs it is fine great, no issues mate. For me it is less than ideal and as a paying customer I passed along what I thought was pertinent feedback and I thought I did so in a constructive and respectful manner.

And FYI, nothing is free, it is all part of the price that you pay. Why would you think the included cables were free?

Sep 19, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #243 of 454
Why is it wrong for other people to have a different perspective than you do? I don't think anybody said they didn't appreciate what iFi did. You are putting words in our mouths so to speak. If you read carefully you will notice that I suggested they raise the retail price modestly if required to accomplish a slightly more useful USB cable. If for your needs it is fine great, no issues mate. For me it is less than ideal and as a paying customer I passed along what I thought was pertinent feedback and I thought I did so in a constructive and respectful manner.

And FYI, nothing is free, it is all part of the price that you pay. Why would you think the included cables were free?

Well... At any rate, I don't know exactly what cables iOne cones with, but the cables that came with iDSD BL have proven to be really helpful.

Sep 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #244 of 454
Well... At any rate, I don't know exactly what cables iOne cones with, but the cables that came with iDSD BL have proven to be really helpful.
They work, it is just as I said a little short and too stiff (the USB). I would happily pay a little more for a more flexible and maybe a few inches longer. Even if it was just less stiff it would probably be enough and the extra length not quite as important. It is more the combination with the stiffness being the main issue. I used to own (and loved) the iDSD Micro and if I remember correctly the cable situation was pretty similar with the included USB I used. I don't think it is ever out of line to make respectful suggestions. Not sure why the other poster took it so personally? Water under the bridge.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #245 of 454

I completely agree with you. Is it just me who has a problem with his tone? Might i add no one was bitching here.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #246 of 454
I completely agree with you. Is it just me who has a problem with his tone? Might i add no one was bitching here.
Hard not to agree with you. I know I certainly wasn't "bitching", I was providing feedback.

Sep 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #247 of 454
Dear Chong

The standard is that Dsd (dop) via spdif handles up to 64 however the ifi machines do not support dsd over spdif only usb.

I hope that this answers your query.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

I was hoping that iFi iOne can output decoded DSD as PCM via spdif.
With my current setup, I don't get sound when playing DSD files via my PC or NAS.

This is how I connect the iOne:
PC/NAS USB -> iOne USB-in
iOne coaxial SPDIF-out -> Tascam interface SPDIF-in
Tascam interface balanced out -> Speakers

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #248 of 454

Well, It is really too short, the USB cable, and mine is much stiffer than yours, there is no way I could stretch it out. It is so twisted that the tension it has can flip the iOne over. As a result my iOne needs to be right beside my laptop with no chance of moving it away further. Extremely annoying. I'm not even sure what category of cable it is or I would happily buy a longer one. iFi, please, make a longer one available to sell for those of us who prefer a longer cable. Sorry for the crappy picture. You can see the twist, and that is the only way I can position the iOne unless I use some kind of weight on it to hold it from flipping, and even if I could do so, the pressure on the input connection would be too high. Not a great cable in my opinion.

Dear Sonic Defender

You can hold at one end of cable and use your hand to pull the entire length of the cable so it looses tension and becomes straight. It's like a hose if all curled up just pull out the kinks then pull the cable.

I hope that you find this useful.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 21, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #249 of 454
Dear Sonic Defender

You can hold at one end of cable and use your hand to pull the entire length of the cable so it looses tension and becomes straight. It's like a hose if all curled up just pull out the kinks then pull the cable.

I hope that you find this useful.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team
Thanks, I'll try this. Typically I don't stretch cables worrying that it could loosen a solder, but I think I'll try it anyway. Cheers.

Sep 22, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #250 of 454
I was hoping that iFi iOne can output decoded DSD as PCM via spdif.
With my current setup, I don't get sound when playing DSD files via my PC or NAS.

This is how I connect the iOne:
PC/NAS USB -> iOne USB-in
iOne coaxial SPDIF-out -> Tascam interface SPDIF-in
Tascam interface balanced out -> Speakers

Dear Chong

The iOne passes DoP DSD via SPDIF (DoP encoded), however we do not convert DSD to PCM (or indeed any other format like HDCD, Dolby Digital, DTS).

If you need DSD to PCM conversion for DAC's attached via SPDIF, please use the appropriate settings in your playback software.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 22, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #251 of 454
Has anybody else experienced a high frequency hum coming from the included AC adapter? The noise is surprisingly loud. Not loud enough to be heard over music playing, but without music it is easy to hear. I wonder what exactly the cause of this noise is?

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #252 of 454
Sadly i have the first edition and it doesn't come with an AC adaptor, though the power from usb out from PC is as silent as a the lull before the storm. Perhaps not the best metaphor :wink:

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #253 of 454
Sadly i have the first edition and it doesn't come with an AC adaptor, though the power from usb out from PC is as silent as a the lull before the storm. Perhaps not the best metaphor :wink:
Gotcha. So with the version you have, do you notice any problems with Bluetooth reception? I believe that the second version only differs in the Bluetooth reception stability/strength and I guess an included AC adapter.

Sep 22, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #254 of 454
Gotcha. So with the version you have, do you notice any problems with Bluetooth reception? I believe that the second version only differs in the Bluetooth reception stability/strength and I guess an included AC adapter.
For me the BT on this version is next to unusable. In my case situation, more than a few feet would disconnect it. However i completely gave up on BT as far as the iOne is concerned and it is a great DAC for the price.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #255 of 454
For me the BT on this version is next to unusable. In my case situation, more than a few feet would disconnect it. However i completely gave up on BT as far as the iOne is concerned and it is a great DAC for the price.
Wow, I have to admit I personally would have returned a Bluetooth enabled device that didn't work well. Just today I was using the iOne via Bluetooth and I really appreciate the connectivity option. Ultimately if you are happy that is all that matters. I made a point of calling the vendor who I purchased from and even had them open the box before shipping to confirm it was indeed the plastic face version as for me Bluetooth was very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back