iFi Audio iGalvanic3.0 - The Holy Grail of Audio
Mar 8, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #676 of 745
Hello fellow iFi-ers, I am wondering if you can help me here. I would like to get rid of some hissing/hum (I guess it’s called noise floor?) from my audio chain. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (not 3, I read 3 had USB bus issues) running Roon Bridge, connected via USB to Chord Hugo 2 DAC with a 3.5mm single ended into Romi Audio BX2-Plus amplifier. At normal listening volume I do not hear anything, but I noticed that if I put Chord Hugo 2 to Line Out (what was recommended by others) and turn up BX2-Plus volume to max while not playing music (it would rip my ears open) I can hear hiss. When I SSH into my Raspberry Pi and run console commands (or just type in the console) I can hear every single instruction as an electronic noise generated by the Raspberry Pi. I hear this when I use Apple’s USB charger, as well as when I power Raspberry Pi with a battery. If I try to increase Hugo’s line out to max, I hear distortion from my amp (input is running to hot, so it is clipping). When I go bellow line out on Hugo 2, then I need to increase volume on the BX2-Plus and then I hear hiss even while listening to music, so this approach is a no-go. Now, what is interesting is that if I disconnect Hugo from my Raspberry Pi, it is dead silent, I can crank volume as much as I can, no issue there. Normally, I could attribute this issue to the amp or dac, or both (their pairing), but the fact that I can hear electronic noise when I run commands in the console makes me believe that it is the Raspberry. Now, would any of the iFi devices help here? I am thinking to try the iSilencer+ or this iGalvanic3.0, as it is not that expensive and would plug nicely to my chain (USB A in, USB A out). What are your thoughts on this, any recommendations are welcome. Thank you!

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #679 of 745
Hello fellow iFi-ers, I am wondering if you can help me here. I would like to get rid of some hissing/hum (I guess it’s called noise floor?) from my audio chain. I have a Raspberry Pi 4 (not 3, I read 3 had USB bus issues) running Roon Bridge, connected via USB to Chord Hugo 2 DAC with a 3.5mm single ended into Romi Audio BX2-Plus amplifier. At normal listening volume I do not hear anything, but I noticed that if I put Chord Hugo 2 to Line Out (what was recommended by others) and turn up BX2-Plus volume to max while not playing music (it would rip my ears open) I can hear hiss. When I SSH into my Raspberry Pi and run console commands (or just type in the console) I can hear every single instruction as an electronic noise generated by the Raspberry Pi. I hear this when I use Apple’s USB charger, as well as when I power Raspberry Pi with a battery. If I try to increase Hugo’s line out to max, I hear distortion from my amp (input is running to hot, so it is clipping). When I go bellow line out on Hugo 2, then I need to increase volume on the BX2-Plus and then I hear hiss even while listening to music, so this approach is a no-go. Now, what is interesting is that if I disconnect Hugo from my Raspberry Pi, it is dead silent, I can crank volume as much as I can, no issue there. Normally, I could attribute this issue to the amp or dac, or both (their pairing), but the fact that I can hear electronic noise when I run commands in the console makes me believe that it is the Raspberry. Now, would any of the iFi devices help here? I am thinking to try the iSilencer+ or this iGalvanic3.0, as it is not that expensive and would plug nicely to my chain (USB A in, USB A out). What are your thoughts on this, any recommendations are welcome. Thank you!

Try changing out the usb cable between the pi and Hugo2. I have a similar setup and had the same issue. I swapped out a 4ft usb cable to a short (about 6 inches) and the noise went away. If that don't work, a pi hat that outputs optical should help but then you lose out on playing the super high bit rates.

May 5, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #680 of 745
Hey, everyone! I hear some glitches when the switch is at 'One Earth' position. No glitches with 'No Earth'/'Multiple Earths'.
My chain is MacBook Pro -> iGalvanic -> iPurifier 3.0 -> iDSD micro BL.
What's the correct switch position for me and is everything ok with glitches?

May 5, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #681 of 745
Hey, everyone! I hear some glitches when the switch is at 'One Earth' position. No glitches with 'No Earth'/'Multiple Earths'.
My chain is MacBook Pro -> iGalvanic -> iPurifier 3.0 -> iDSD micro BL.
What's the correct switch position for me and is everything ok with glitches?
Just use the one that works. Enjoy.

May 7, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #682 of 745
What would be the best scheme to add iUSB micro into the chain?
MacBook -> iGalvanic -> iUSB micro -> Gemini3.0 -> iPurifier3 -> iDSD micro BL
OR
MacBook -> iUSB micro -> Gemini3.0 -> iGalvanic -> iDSD micro BL
I have to use iPurifier3 in the first scheme just as USB B-A adapter...

And does iUSB micro provide galvanic isolation? Do I really need iGalvanic + iUSB micro? Maybe, it's just better to use iUSB with Gemini without iGalvanic?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #684 of 745
Anyone experienced signal cut in this setup pc>idefender>isilencer>galvanic>purifier and how do you resolve it? I just bought nano galvanic today.

Edit: This does not happen when the switch is flip up or bottom, but when it is switched in the middle, the signal has cut off.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #685 of 745
Anyone experienced signal cut in this setup pc>idefender>isilencer>galvanic>purifier and how do you resolve it? I just bought nano galvanic today.

Edit: This does not happen when the switch is flip up or bottom, but when it is switched in the middle, the signal has cut off.
and using the ones that work not ok for you to use? 🤔

Aug 13, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #686 of 745
and using the ones that work not ok for you to use? 🤔
its not that its not ok to use but I thought or maybe misunderstood something that I will get the full effect when I use the switch on the middle

Aug 22, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #688 of 745
try using it by itself outside the chain
Hi , I noticed that I don't have problem in the middle switch if I am playing normal PCM but if I play MQA, that is where I have drop outs.

Oct 1, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #689 of 745
The Saec is an ancient device--released in 2011--which does not even support USB2.0 high-speed (480Mbps), only 12Mbps. Based on one of the many $2 full-speed isolator chips. So no comparison whatsoever to devices like the iFi iGalvanic--or our own ISO REGEN.:beyersmile:

I actually got SAEC SUI-01SX now (at a fraction of its release price), and sound-wise it works great. It is indeed limited to 96 kHz max (but that’s the highest music quality I have anyway) and defaults to 24 bit (no 16 bit).

Cannot make a comparison with iFi or Regen, but I seem to like it more that Aurorasound BusPower Pro2 (which only replaces USB power with clean one, but leaves signal untouched).

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #690 of 745
Would like to know more about this device before trying it out.

How does the igalvanic compare to a ddc like the denafrips Iris or singxer ddcs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back