iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Jul 5, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #1,846 of 2,172
Diablo also does not have a Line Input, only Output to be used with other Amps.

The internal DACs in Signature and Diablo are probably better than almost all but the TOTL DAPs and even then you'll only get slight improvements or change in overall sound signature so it's not a big deal IMO.

If you are just looking for an Amp then Topping NX7 or xCAN are good in-expensive options.

Diablo does in fact have a line in, it is entirely possible and safe via the rear 4.4mm port. I’ve been listening with my Diablo with a line input from my M11 Plus using a five wire iFi 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect for the last several days.

Upon asking questions about it because I’d seen references this, the designer of the Diablo reached out on a private message and explained that the Diablo was in fact designed that way and with no USB data being input the DAC basically opens the gate between the port and the amp.

With the right cable you can use a balanced line in or a single ended line in. To go single ended the positives are used, the negatives are unconnected and the grounds connect. I made a 4.4mm to 2 x RCA cable to test this and tried it with a Modi Multibit DAC, it worked perfectly.

Have a look at the latter part of the Diablo thread. It’d be interesting to know if the Signature also allows this. I suspect not since apparently this was possible courtesy of later components in the Diablo that allowed the open gate past the DAC with no data.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #1,847 of 2,172
Diablo does in fact have a line in, it is entirely possible and safe via the rear 4.4mm port. I’ve been listening with my Diablo with a line input from my M11 Plus using a five wire iFi 4.4mm to 4.4mm interconnect for the last several days.

Upon asking questions about it because I’d seen references this, the designer of the Diablo reached out on a private message and explained that the Diablo was in fact designed that way and with no USB data being input the DAC basically opens the gate between the port and the amp.

With the right cable you can use a balanced line in or a single ended line in. To go single ended the positives are used, the negatives are unconnected and the grounds connect. I made a 4.4mm to 2 x RCA cable to test this and tried it with a Modi Multibit DAC, it worked perfectly.

Have a look at the latter part of the Diablo thread. It’d be interesting to know if the Signature also allows this. I suspect not since apparently this was possible courtesy of later components in the Diablo that allowed the open gate past the DAC with no data.
Interesting, when I was reading/watching reviews of Diablo, curious to see how it stacked up against my Signature, I don't remeber reading about this anywhere, wonder why iFi don't advertise this feature.

Jul 5, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #1,848 of 2,172
Interesting, when I was reading/watching reviews of Diablo, curious to see how it stacked up against my Signature, I don't remeber reading about this anywhere, wonder why iFi don't advertise this feature.

No it was not an advertised feature. I saw a couple of independent reviews that showed pictures of a line in, started asking questions and some time later heard direct from the designer and ifi have now confirmed it. They even made an Instagram post with a short video clip about it. I don’t know if they even knew about it, I’ve seen previous comments here from ifi that use of the amp only was not possible. Perhaps the techies new but the marketing didn’t ?

I just re-read a comment he made about the Signature and it uses older components that do not work the same, he specifically said Signature didn’t work the same way.

Jul 5, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #1,849 of 2,172
I gave up pursuing DAP, as the New products coming out all the times, when you get one,
a new and better one comes along in a few months.
The most importantly, their cpus and operation are limited comparing with new cellphone.
their amp part has never better then a standalone dac/amp, such as Ifi signature.
I am using my old iPhone 6+, and iFi micro Xdsd signature stack and pretty happy with
the operation, it’s bigger than a DAP, but it suit my usage anyway.
Next time when I upgrade my cellphone, I also upgrade my stack with replaced cellphone
with ritually no extra charge.
I agree. Dac/amp with cell phone better than most daps IMHO. Still no excuse not to have analog feature on the signature

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #1,850 of 2,172
Loving this combo at the moment...

20220709_083609.jpg

Any recommendations for cable replacement of the blue usb cable?

It's just to stiff for my liking.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #1,851 of 2,172
Can anyone compare the sound to the ifi black label nano? What could I expect from upgrading to this? Is the soundstage bigger?

Jul 13, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #1,852 of 2,172
Loving this combo at the moment...

20220709_083609.jpg

Any recommendations for cable replacement of the blue usb cable?

It's just to stiff for my liking.

We make some in house cables, like the Mercury and Gemini that are not so stiff.

Can anyone compare the sound to the ifi black label nano? What could I expect from upgrading to this? Is the soundstage bigger?

I'd say you can expect a bigger upgrade all around - more power and flexibility, bigger soundstage, more dynamics, with (from memory) a slightly more warm sound from the Nano Black Label.

Jul 13, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #1,853 of 2,172
I don't know if anyone else has run into this issue, but I hooked up for the first time my micro signature to a speaker amp via the RCA output and noticed some intermittent clicking noise during playback. I hooked up another DAC to the speaker amp and didn't hear the clicking noise. switched back to the micro signature and the intermittent clicking noise came back. I had never noticed this with headphones so I plugged some headphones in and noticed the same thing from the 4.4 pentacon output.

As far as the input source into the signature I was connecting my LG V60 via USB OTG. I also tried via optical input and had the same issue.

I love this DAC/AMP. I've been using it as my travel/office dac/amp for almost a year now and would be devastated if it was broken. Any help would be appreciated.

Equipment used during the testing:
  • Source: LG V60 (FLAC & YouTube Music) USB-C OTG cable into USB input or xDuoo 05BL Pro (LDAC) into optical input
  • DAC: ifi idsd micro signature
  • Output Cable: RCA to XLR cable -> Speaker Amp
  • Speaker Amp: Crown XLS 802
  • Speakers: Magnepan 1.6QR
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD8XX
  • Alt. DAC: JDS Labs EL II

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:05 PM Post #1,854 of 2,172
I wish iFi would go to a power button and deal with the volume pot inbalance and travel limitation with these DAC/Amps.
I've almost purchased the Signature more than once but since most of my use would be with iem's I know the volume pot will drive me nuts.

I'm looking for an excuse to buy one iFi. Remedying the volume pot issues would probably do it. :wink:

Jul 22, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #1,855 of 2,172
I wish iFi would go to a power button and deal with the volume pot inbalance and travel limitation with these DAC/Amps.
I've almost purchased the Signature more than once but since most of my use would be with iem's I know the volume pot will drive me nuts.

I'm looking for an excuse to buy one iFi. Remedying the volume pot issues would probably do it. :wink:
Its "iematch" & power mode should workaround it for you, just set both so you get volume pot pass 10 oclock position, you will be fine.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #1,857 of 2,172

@Tomm11 I hear you. I have been in the same position when looking for iDac2 uograde while still having transportable dac/amp combo. While iCan SE is great carrying around two devices plus psu is too clunky. I end up with Mojo 2 and with new DSP feature you can try to get that ifi burr-brown house signature I like so much. Still the real magic, but only after some longer listening time to ifi micro dacs brings iTube2 IMHO.

Jul 23, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #1,858 of 2,172

I was worried about the imbalance issues aswell but i bought one & haven't regretted it at all. My settings are: eco, bit-perfect, sensitive. I can listen to my music at very low volume with no imbalance issues. I am using sennheiser ie600 & sony ier-m9.

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #1,859 of 2,172
I was worried about the imbalance issues aswell but i bought one & haven't regretted it at all. My settings are: eco, bit-perfect, sensitive. I can listen to my music at very low volume with no imbalance issues. I am using sennheiser ie600 & sony ier-m9.
It's not just the imbalance. It's also the limited travel you end up with because of the imbalance. Like I mentioned, I know it can be worked around but it shouldn't have to be, especially at the asking price. Maybe if they come down to $449 again I'll re-think it.

iFi will probably never address the issue because there won't be enough consumer pressure to do so with "everyone" willing to work around it.

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,860 of 2,172
It's not just the imbalance. It's also the limited travel you end up with because of the imbalance. Like I mentioned, I know it can be worked around but it shouldn't have to be, especially at the asking price. Maybe if they come down to $449 again I'll re-think it.

iFi will probably never address the issue because there won't be enough consumer pressure to do so with "everyone" willing to work around it.
I have plenty of volume travel with those settings & believe me I'm picky.
It is good that you have adjustments available because all iems are not the same as you probably already know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back