iFi audio iDSD Signature - The saga continues!
Dec 10, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,711 of 2,172
I go to my program file then open IFI folder, then only folder available folder is the, USB Audio Device Driver folder, and this is what i have in attached pic

Have you installed this though? Setup.exe is the file you want to use.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 10, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,712 of 2,172
Have you installed this though? Setup.exe is the file you want to use.
l have tried but get this error in attached pic...'vender.cer' not found

Attachments

• 20211210_165529.jpg
    20211210_165529.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #1,713 of 2,172
l have tried but get this error in attached pic...'vender.cer' not found
Hey /‘hello’ __________________this post only talks about firmware flashing______________

I am not the ‘right person’ to handle your full enquiry; in part out of laziness, but mostly due to being, potentially, unfamiliar with steps needed/required=> I do not wish to make anything more confusing or difficult.

-=Just adding$0.02 worth of ‘commentary’.. (if ye wish)=-

The two pictures you have sent (being vastly different file sizes, one file size being quite inappropriate for the info in contains (5megabytes for an error message?)), might reveal how comfortable you are/knowledge of ‘all things computing’.
It is true a lot of the world like easy interactive devices (apple), and outside of PC professionals, most Windows users are just happy being able to turn the computer on and off again (and having it do either of THOSE tasks reliably).

As a technician /support agent to the PC platform - I would suggest we need to ‘get back to basics here’.
It seems that the software isn’t installed, and that ‘figuring out how to install the software’ is the present hiccup.

Now, firstly, relax.
Firmwares aren’t worth stressing over unless your device isn’t working and a firmware is the only thing that will fix it (VERY UNUSUAL SITUATION)
Firmwares that add features (eg gaming console support) might be of interest,.. ‘perhaps casual/offhand’.. so lets be ‘casual’.

I use a different product (also by iFi)
I do not use that product with a Windows PC, and so when it came time to do firmware flashing, I was coming at this task from a different angle.
At the moment I am assuming that the control panel applet offers more functionality, but (from a hazy memory) I also recall that the ‘flash file’ (the executable/‘program’ that changes/‘flashes’ different firmwares) was installed in the audio driver location...

If this is the case- installing a new firmware involves a few steps..

Download DRIVER package AND a new FIRMWARE (so TWO DOWNLOADS MINIMUM)
Install DRIVERS
Find Driver install directory, and find the flashing utility. (Run the flash utility)
When the flash utility is running it will want to be pointed at a firmware that you have downloaded (and wish to install)..; (so you may need to preempt this need and download and unpack a firmware/bios file into a directory that is easy to find).

As a ‘good rule for housekeeping’ (a Microsoft Windows PC), whilst everything ‘WANTS TO HAPPEN ON THE DESKTOP’, try forcing installations and (more importantly) ‘unpacking’ compressed files to a location that ISN’T the desktop.
Some software and installers can have issues with the desktop location as it is stored as part of an ‘individual users account’, where as Folders off the primary drives’ root directory (eg C:\Progs\Sound\iFi ) are handled in a way is tried and true.
The biggest issue for some installations NOT WORKING, is trying to install programs from compressed files. Whilst it may work 9/10 times, or even 99/100 times when installing software from a compressed folder, SOME SOFTWARE likes being uncompressed first, before installation. (ie unpack the installer, then open the ‘unpacked installer’, and THEN run the SETUP.EXE)

I vaguely recall a few more niggles than typical when trying to firmware flash the iFi parts, and relegate the process to one of the worse flashing modern experiences a user could have. (Flashing most other products is easier than the way iFi have it at the moment)
So steps to make the method easy was making a folder on the main drive called “iFi” (so C:\iFi) into C:\iFi was the install of the iFi software (that included the flashing program I needed), and then in a subfolder to C:\iFi I created a firmware folder.. (eg C:\iFi\firmware).
Now depending on how much you want to run a few firmwares, if they all have similar sounding names or names that mean nothing to you,.. then I encourage you to make folders in the firmware directory (such as GTO), that allow you to place the firmwares you download into folder that you A)know where it is, B)know what it contains

That little bit of housekeeping makes flashing firmwares super easy, as when we run the flash executable, and go to ‘choose the firmware’, we will find our downloaded firmwares EASILY and WITH CONFIDENCE as to what the outcome will be with any given firmware flashed.

Generally I only firmware flash from a (battery powered) laptop.

The firmware process was a time sink for the first instance (learning a new skill) and then SUPER EASY TO PERFORM (you will wish you had done so sooner)
I found each step of the process from finding the (FIRMWARE) files to finding the actual flash program all small bumps in the road, and following a setup guide (to get the flash software that allowed me to change the firmwares) made the road smoother.
Of course iFi COULD do a lot to improve the process and take out a few of the corners that take us in the wrong direction, however briefly, on our way through this ‘nightmare’.

It is only scary, the first time, due to being unfamiliar. Once done it may never need doing again, and if it does, the process takes around a minute to start ; with most time lost to the seconds it takes to actually write the tiny file to the device.

As YoGabbaGabba famously once said “Try It, You may like it”. (the forty times he said it right after that first time are the ones we can never delete from our brains)

TL: DR ______Firmware flashing safe practice and good housekeeping________
probably right to skip this post; I am sure iFi would have an ‘easy step by step’ firmware guide (with troubleshooting) in a handy PDF download. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,714 of 2,172
IFi, could you please add 7.2 back? It seems to have been removed, only 7.2b (no MQA) and 7.2c (GTO) are online for me + older versions (7.0, 7.0c, 1.5 aka XMOS)
Will there ever be a 7.3? Just asking as this is the current version of Diablo, which I think uses the same XMOS ( I also happen to have a Diablo).

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #1,715 of 2,172
IFi, could you please add 7.2 back? It seems to have been removed, only 7.2b (no MQA) and 7.2c (GTO) are online for me + older versions (7.0, 7.0c, 1.5 aka XMOS)
Will there ever be a 7.3? Just asking as this is the current version of Diablo, which I think uses the same XMOS ( I also happen to have a Diablo).
I have all the firmwares downloaded. Want me to share 7.2?

Dec 11, 2021 at 5:41 AM Post #1,716 of 2,172

Just to clarify, you're asking about firmware for which product?

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 11, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #1,717 of 2,172
Just to clarify, you're asking about firmware for which product?
He is asking if there will be a 7.3 firmware for the Signature like there is for Diablo.

@iFi audio, @Sebastien Chiu I'm curious why 7.2 was removed? and also you guys must have missed my question before, is there a difference in sound or do the "Limoncello" & "Cookies & Cream" firmwares effect sound quality of PCM files? like GTO obviously does.

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,718 of 2,172
Hey /‘hello’ __________________this post only talks about firmware flashing______________

I am not the ‘right person’ to handle your full enquiry; in part out of laziness, but mostly due to being, potentially, unfamiliar with steps needed/required=> I do not wish to make anything more confusing or difficult.

The two pictures you have sent (being vastly different file sizes, one file size being quite inappropriate for the info in contains (5megabytes for an error message?)), might reveal how comfortable you are/knowledge of ‘all things computing’.
It is true a lot of the world like easy interactive devices (apple), and outside of PC professionals, most Windows users are just happy being able to turn the computer on and off again (and having it do either of THOSE tasks reliably).

As a technician /support agent to the PC platform - I would suggest we need to ‘get back to basics here’.
It seems that the software isn’t installed, and that ‘figuring out how to install the software’ is the present hiccup.

Now, firstly, relax.
Firmwares aren’t worth stressing over unless your device isn’t working and a firmware is the only thing that will fix it (VERY UNUSUAL SITUATION)
Firmwares that add features (eg gaming console support) might be of interest,.. ‘perhaps casual/offhand’.. so lets be ‘casual’.

I do not use that product with a Windows PC, and so when it came time to do firmware flashing, I was coming at this task from a different angle.
At the moment I am assuming that the control panel applet offers more functionality, but (from a hazy memory) I also recall that the ‘flash file’ (the executable/‘program’ that changes/‘flashes’ different firmwares) was installed in the audio driver location...

Install DRIVERS
Find Driver install directory, and find the flashing utility. (Run the flash utility)
When the flash utility is running it will want to be pointed at a firmware that you have downloaded (and wish to install)..; (so you may need to preempt this need and download and unpack a firmware/bios file into a directory that is easy to find).

As a ‘good rule for housekeeping’ (a Microsoft Windows PC), whilst everything ‘WANTS TO HAPPEN ON THE DESKTOP’, try forcing installations and (more importantly) ‘unpacking’ compressed files to a location that ISN’T the desktop.
Some software and installers can have issues with the desktop location as it is stored as part of an ‘individual users account’, where as Folders off the primary drives’ root directory (eg C:\Progs\Sound\iFi ) are handled in a way is tried and true.
The biggest issue for some installations NOT WORKING, is trying to install programs from compressed files. Whilst it may work 9/10 times, or even 99/100 times when installing software from a compressed folder, SOME SOFTWARE likes being uncompressed first, before installation. (ie unpack the installer, then open the ‘unpacked installer’, and THEN run the SETUP.EXE)

I vaguely recall a few more niggles than typical when trying to firmware flash the iFi parts, and relegate the process to one of the worse flashing modern experiences a user could have. (Flashing most other products is easier than the way iFi have it at the moment)
So steps to make the method easy was making a folder on the main drive called “iFi” (so C:\iFi) into C:\iFi was the install of the iFi software (that included the flashing program I needed), and then in a subfolder to C:\iFi I created a firmware folder.. (eg C:\iFi\firmware).
Now depending on how much you want to run a few firmwares, if they all have similar sounding names or names that mean nothing to you,.. then I encourage you to make folders in the firmware directory (such as GTO), that allow you to place the firmwares you download into folder that you A)know where it is, B)know what it contains

That little bit of housekeeping makes flashing firmwares super easy, as when we run the flash executable, and go to ‘choose the firmware’, we will find our downloaded firmwares EASILY and WITH CONFIDENCE as to what the outcome will be with any given firmware flashed.

The firmware process was a time sink for the first instance (learning a new skill) and then SUPER EASY TO PERFORM (you will wish you had done so sooner)
I found each step of the process from finding the (FIRMWARE) files to finding the actual flash program all small bumps in the road, and following a setup guide (to get the flash software that allowed me to change the firmwares) made the road smoother.
Of course iFi COULD do a lot to improve the process and take out a few of the corners that take us in the wrong direction, however briefly, on our way through this ‘nightmare’.

It is only scary, the first time, due to being unfamiliar. Once done it may never need doing again, and if it does, the process takes around a minute to start ; with most time lost to the seconds it takes to actually write the tiny file to the device.

As YoGabbaGabba famously once said “Try It, You may like it”. (the forty times he said it right after that first time are the ones we can never delete from our brains)

probably right to skip this post; I am sure iFi would have an ‘easy step by step’ firmware guide (with troubleshooting) in a handy PDF download. :wink:
I will look it this and if all else fails I will just enjoy it as is.
I had wrote up ticket with Ifi but still waiting for there response. Thanks you.

Dec 11, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #1,719 of 2,172
He is asking if there will be a 7.3 firmware for the Signature like there is for Diablo.

@iFi audio, @Sebastien Chiu I'm curious why 7.2 was removed? and also you guys must have missed my question before, is there a difference in sound or do the "Limoncello" & "Cookies & Cream" firmwares effect sound quality of PCM files? like GTO obviously does.

We'll ask internally why was it removed and we should have a reply shortly.

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,720 of 2,172

Now, firstly, relax.

Install DRIVERS

IFI responded and helped me troubleshoot issue, Thank You for your responds

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,721 of 2,172
New, happy owner of the Signature. I am on firmware 7.2b and notice soft pops at the beginnings of songs if the bitrate changes. There were no pops for 7.2c, presumably due to upsampling, but I prefer the sound on 7.2b. Is this normal? They are not terribly disruptive, but wondering whether others have experienced them.

Dec 16, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,722 of 2,172
New, happy owner of the Signature. I am on firmware 7.2b and notice soft pops at the beginnings of songs if the bitrate changes. There were no pops for 7.2c, presumably due to upsampling, but I prefer the sound on 7.2b. Is this normal? They are not terribly disruptive, but wondering whether others have experienced them.
On my unit, I don't hear any pops at the beginning of songs, I hear it when turning on the Signature or when I start audio playback after leaving the device with no playback for a few minutes but never in between tracks or when starting new tracks.

I'm using the 7.2 Firmware right now but, I don't remember hearing pops when I used 7.2b.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,723 of 2,172
New, happy owner of the Signature. I am on firmware 7.2b and notice soft pops at the beginnings of songs if the bitrate changes. There were no pops for 7.2c, presumably due to upsampling, but I prefer the sound on 7.2b. Is this normal?

There shouldn't be any pops. Please try increasing a buffer and see if this helps, thanks!

Dec 18, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,724 of 2,172
Hello, i have question regarding firmware, i just use signature for a week, and i want to upgrade the firmware from 5.3, i tried to upgrade to 7.2c but after succesful why firmware version seems lower and set to v4.02 instead of 7.2c (see the pict), is that normal or do i miss something or the file from the server is wrong

I tried other firmware, but in the status it seemed the version is right, only 7.2c that has problem like this

Attachments

• version 4.02.jpg
    version 4.02.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.02 part 2.jpg
    4.02 part 2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 19, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #1,725 of 2,172
Hello, i have question regarding firmware, i just use signature for a week, and i want to upgrade the firmware from 5.3, i tried to upgrade to 7.2c but after succesful why firmware version seems lower and set to v4.02 instead of 7.2c (see the pict), is that normal or do i miss something or the file from the server is wrong

I tried other firmware, but in the status it seemed the version is right, only 7.2c that has problem like this
If you previously were on 5.3 then you must have the older XMOS Plattform, meaning you can't upgrade to a 7.x FW, as this was designed for XU216 (newer XMOS Plattform). I really can't explain why your unit flashes to v4.02 if choosing the 7.2c binary, it seems to me that maybe there is a fallback that will be flashed when the target device has the older XMOS.

Previously flashing a 7.x FW on a 5.x device just resulted in the previous FW not being overwritten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back