iFi audio iDSD Diablo - A portable reference done our way!
Mar 14, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #916 of 2,985
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...dsd-conversion/?do=findComment&comment=558514

Posted July 16, 2016
I changed my library from a WD USB Portable HD to an Apple Time Capsule and the sound is much better now.
I'm using the Apple Time Capsule with ethernet cable, a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter and wifi disabled...
The same USB WD HD connected to the USB input of the Apple Time Capsule sounds better also, who can explain that?

Later I answer your another questions..., I need sleep, I will travel tomorrow 6:00 a.m.
Actually I could write for hours explaining that.. and then edit for hours to create neat/succinct paragraphs that might contribute something of worth that would move understanding forward on the topic.. but you and I don’t need to (you have it sorted, and I know well enough to avoid all sorts of PC shenanigans), so for the benefit of this thread, I will leave it well alone.

It is amazing just how many ways in which electrical noise and inconsistent speed or read quality /transfer quality of those precious ‘zeros and ones’ can make a perceivable difference to sound quality.
Its why I love my Questyle DAP (the QP1 series) which is without any internal radios, a little like the theory behind the Diablo, being, quality through simplicity and purity.

Such a simple combination too:
CDAF0374-F49E-4A18-8C12-C76B09EDAACD.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #917 of 2,985
The cable was 50% OFF: http://www.kastlecable.com/black-label-3-project.php
I use this cable with this 4 Outlet Power Center, so 4 equipments benefit from the clean AC power:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CW2LS5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
The best ‘science’ I have seen brought to the table on ‘how power cables’ make an audiable difference is to to with their shielding and keeping their signal away from other (sensitive) electronics.
My mind has no argument against this logic.
(I like to pose as a fence sitter (a little) on cable debates, when actually i am fully in to them, having observed benefits provided over numerous occasions; some of my early experiences were with ‘less than ideal‘ (mid fi / not reference) electronic—, and needless to say that higher end kit brought vastly more improvement or change to be heard.

That being said, I have also bought cables that hindered more than they helped, and am sad for the industry for the markup that many manufacturers charge.
I was truly blown away the first time I heard Nordost (entry level) speaker cables back in the nineties; these were cables that had measured speed of transmission (as a percent of the ‘speed of light’), were engineered for NASA (with all sorts of stringent requirements), and made piano notes sound beautiful in a way that I have not heard since.

I do feel some cables make more sense than others to ‘get right’, and sadly that DOES extend to digital cables, no matter the arguments from people attempting to scientific in their understanding (who clearly think that 0’s and 1’s are transmitted as 0’s and 1’s and not a waveform)..

And just like we once thought the world was flat, or ‘the centre of the universe’, one day we might actually know something more..

Until that day I do my best to be scientific, have methods to reduce bias from obscuring the results, and trust my feet (not ears, as they can’t dance; although nor can my feet, arguably,: but if they are tapping its because my subconscious knows the sound is ‘musical’).
I do think all things in balance... but I wouldn’t complain if I had a lamborghini with budget road tyres. It’d still be a Lambo, it just wouldn’t give its’ best.
Having reference speakers and amps and preamps, and cables and transports means that ‘swapping DACs’ allows me to learn what the DAC is doing into a transparent system (objective compare). OF course room tuning and speaker placement and then listener expectation and lack of beer (or kahlua/tia maria/mr black/frangelico in a coffee) all effect the subjective sound...
I have found sometimes, in order to review kit, I have to have it on my head (playing into my head) for hours so that I can relax and enjoy what I am hearing.
I am not envious of the youtubers who do live feeds trying to objectively listen, or give subjective impressions of kit.. any level of stress could affect their experience, and if the Diablo was given as an example.. it took me nearly a month to break it in and learn some of its’ nuances. (like whether the mode switch is an impeadence change/ or what it does to change up the sound - ie I personally think the amp changes modes between AB (eco) to class A (normal) to ‘something else’ Turbo..) and that subtle differences can really matter in a review.

Whether cables matter for some reason is still a debatable topic, which is mad to anyone who has experienced some basic truths along the lines that ‘of course they do’ and madder to anyone who wants to believe that their budget sound system is as good as it can be...

At some point the adjustments we can make to a setup are limited, and the bang to buck ratio to implement change gets crazy.
For all the cheap tricks (like blutac under speakers) we get ‘skys the limit’ on cables, and obviously cables shouldn’t exceed 10% of the system cost (or else system improvements elsewhere will probably net better improvements)..
When shopping in the second hand market, I suppose we get what we can find when we can find it,.. and I have enjoyed quite a few great cables on clearance or second hand, and believe I have gotten bargains and ‘great value’ for the investment (in time and money).

A seven thousand dollar cable at half price would buy an entire high quality two channel setup though, in second hand price points- like my households’ dining table rig:
Castle Acoustics - Kendal (version one) speakers
fed from
Danish made Valve Mono blocks
fed from
Proceed AVP2 preamp
fed from
iFi Diablo DAC
fed from
Questyle QP1R / Denon high end CD player / Mac mini as transports
sitting on
High end power boards and
connected by
High end interconnects/cables

with subwoofers to taste...

That cable cost a whole sound system (that sounds ‘alright’).. true those parts were second hand bargains generally (hence why I bought them), but for it to make sense to me it would have to be into a reference rig like my old Sansui AU919 powering the Acoustic Research AR-LSTs..

the best thing about owning nice kit being able to use it whenever/ as needed, at which point it is ‘better to have it (and not need it)‘ than to ’need it (and not have it)’.
In that regard I have more hifi kit gathering dust than the value of my car or savings in the bank.
And cables in draws could put my kid through college... of course their resale would consist of me having to convince someone else that ‘cables matter’.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #918 of 2,985
I'll just say this about the GTO Firmware, the differences to ME are subtle regardless of everything else I say. I think the diablo with the stock firmware was exactly as they say, pure sound above all else, very natural to the original recording. I think the gto retains all of that, but the vocals have a little more reverb(Love)and the bass is a little more subwoofer like to me (which I enjoy for my music preferences) and the treble is a little less sharp, and I don't think it was intolerable on the stock firmware at all (which again I enjoy) I also think it gives me a little more play on the volume pot, (I listen on normal) I listen with the Focal elegia, which is a super easy can to drive I know. But coming from car audio background I know that it's better to have more clean power than too little. I'd rather have crappy speakers and a good amp/source/track than having super expensive speakers that I can't even drive properly. I also believe in diminishing returns after around 1k anyways. I prefer closed backs to open backs all day, if I want more soundstage and air from headphones I'll just listen to my studio monitors. I want my headphones to sound like headphones and I prefer a narrow soundstage for mixing and mastering purposes. Anyway, I think the diablo is a very awesome dac/amp for ME, it's portable and desktop usable. It plays my music very natural and dynamic and I think it sounds as close as I could ever hope for the track to sound the way the artist intended it to sound. The sound is very studio sounding to me, not colored at all. With the GTO, it's just ever so slightly more musical and organic to me which I enjoy so much. With headphones, I just want to enjoy the music and this does it for me. At the end of the day if you have a well recorded track the diablo plays it as intended and it's awesome! If price is an issue for you then I'd say look elsewhere, but for me it's well worth the money. Well done IFI!!

Thanks, @KaOs492! I'm a huge fan of the GTO sound on the Diablo as well, nice for when you want something different indeed!

Its why I love my Questyle DAP (the QP1 series) which is without any internal radios, a little like the theory behind the Diablo, being, quality through simplicity and purity.

CDAF0374-F49E-4A18-8C12-C76B09EDAACD.jpeg

Lovely shot and combo mate!

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #919 of 2,985
I think this picture is the closest I've seen to what you are actually getting. There are a lot of remarks here on the color and while when I first saw it, I wasn't convinced either, having it in hand with its premium feel the color isn't in your face bright as it looks in the adverts. It's not glossy hotrod red, but instead a more subdued matt red. It feels and looks premium.

Admittedly, my first and foremost reason for getting this was the same as @whitedragem. Getting the best and cleanest sound out of spdif and a UAC1 firmware version to get the same said sound out of my gaming consoles. Still have high hopes for that of course but for now it's still enjoyable with the digital out from the TV. I am lucky, however, that I have wonderful audio transport in the Sony WM1A. I'm just waiting for my majorly overpriced (due to customs and transport costs) interconnect to get the digital out. Should be here on Thursday so stay tuned for combo pics with the lovely travel bag :)

I've already said that I can't describe sound with audiophile terms but only with what feels better to me personally. I don't have the high-end DACs/AMPs lying around my house as some of you do but I was happy with what I had both in portable options and desktop options. That said, the Diablo has taken over everything. I drag it around everywhere in my house, easily unplugging it from my desktop, moving on to the TV, using it portably with my IEMs, etc. As someone who doesn't really need many options for different sounds, I feel that the Diablo is everything I need and makes everything else redundant. I alternate here between my Arya's and the IER Z1R.

Mar 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #920 of 2,985
I'm still waiting to get my unit in the UK..I ordered it in Feb. People are treated like crap by many so called hifi shops.

They have not got my 899 quid. I ordered it around Feb 20th. I'm going off this high end stuff anyway. I want the absolute best, and I have better crap to spend money on, i.e. other hobbies and my business.

The people I hate the most are the UK YouTube audio reviewers. Geeky saps behind their keyboard pontificating over why grado headphones are crap, or making people feel bad about their purchases. I trust my ears anyway over anything. I have better hearing than most mastering engineers.

The last audiogram I had was a very shallow quadratic, virtually no falloff.

I love the diablo red. I'm going to get the Welsh dragon engraved on it.

Only a nagra DAC would probably be worth it to me at this stage to be honest. I can't wait to get outside and not be mincing around indoors. Some people work in trades, and can't work from home.

The spazzy practice of UK shops is to advertise stuff they have no stock for, then call you up in some dumb Julian clary tone, it will be about 3 weeks, 2 months, 6 months etc.
That written review from Stu on Home Studio Basics on the Diablo is the one that really grated, (and he is US based to my knowledge.) Stu is entertaining but that review was lazy and inaccurate... and coming from a place of "oh well all DACS sound the same". Soooooo.... in my mind WHY are you reviewing DACs at all dude?? He says Dragonfly Red and Diablo are similar sounding.... and I have them and I am a complete audio n00b yet I can hear the difference, not just subtly or imagining, but absolutely OBVIOUSLY the Diablo is far superior in every way. I love my DF Red, but that Diablo is miles ahead.

So apparently different types of bs from different countries. Who knew?!

Diablo welsh dragon idea - now that would be epic - nothing a well programmed laser engraver couldn't manage?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #921 of 2,985
Actually I could write for hours explaining that.. and then edit for hours to create neat/succinct paragraphs that might contribute something of worth that would move understanding forward on the topic.. but you and I don’t need to (you have it sorted, and I know well enough to avoid all sorts of PC shenanigans), so for the benefit of this thread, I will leave it well alone.

It is amazing just how many ways in which electrical noise and inconsistent speed or read quality /transfer quality of those precious ‘zeros and ones’ can make a perceivable difference to sound quality.

Your ears are your last word, trust them... 👍👍👍

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #922 of 2,985
Is the iPurifier not included with recent shipments? Checking locally and can't confirm for sure before I purchase.

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #923 of 2,985
I think this picture is the closest I've seen to what you are actually getting. There are a lot of remarks here on the color and while when I first saw it, I wasn't convinced either, having it in hand with its premium feel the color isn't in your face bright as it looks in the adverts. It's not glossy hotrod red, but instead a more subdued matt red. It feels and looks premium.
<b>that light was super soft, so it was shot at f11 with a 2 second exposure (ISO 100)</b>

Admittedly, my first and foremost reason for getting this was the same as @whitedragem. Getting the best and cleanest sound out of spdif and a UAC1 firmware version to get the same said sound out of my gaming consoles. Still have high hopes for that of course but for now it's still enjoyable with the digital out from the TV. I am lucky, however, that I have wonderful audio transport in the Sony WM1A. I'm just waiting for my majorly overpriced (due to customs and transport costs) interconnect to get the digital out. Should be here on Thursday so stay tuned for combo pics with the lovely travel bag :)
<B> Guy at the local headphone shop had implied to me that it *might work* (being driverless USB), and was enough to take the punt. Of course UAC1 mode would let us make use of that GTO filter, which might not be as impressive for gaming as it is for music (it nails timing), but in fairness I usually mix my games audio for music up (if the game has good audio) and I take audio over other aspects of gaming.. eg I run Dragon Quest XI on Switch as the music is no longer midi, but rather the Tokyo Philharmonic playing the soundtrack, and I have modded my PC Skyrim to use the PS4’s music and audio (is at a higher sampling rate/better quality)... (for the record the Switch version of DQXI was later brought to the PS4/PC as the remastered version),.. anyhow it would be lovely to hear Octopath Traveller and a whole tonne of games using the Diablo,.. a great DAC does wonders for clearing up vocals etc, and even the iFi purifier, when feeding from the PS5, really cleaned up the imaging and transients and ‘vastly improved’ the audio. </B>

But that written review from Stu on Home Studio Basics on the Diablo is the one that really grated, (and he is US based to my knowledge.) Stu is entertaining but that review was lazy and inaccurate... and coming from a place of "oh well all DACS sound the same". Soooooo.... in my mind WHY are you reviewing DACs at all dude?? He says Dragonfly Red and Diablo are similar sounding.... and I have them and I am a complete audio n00b yet I can hear the difference, not just subtly or imagining, but absolutely OBVIOUSLY the Diablo is far superior in every way. I love my DF Red, but that Diablo is miles ahead.
<B> Yeah he seems to take a fortnight to respond to ‘comments’, that will not get posted until his reply is ready to go with them. Seems like a nice enough guy; who puts ‘educate the customer’ above all else in his review, to which he feels that the best bang for buck with DACs is the minimum needed to buy ANY DAC over the included DAC chips in most products. Anything beyond that (in spending) he feels would be better invested in headphones or maybe an amp, and most certainly ‘the music’ (good, well mastered tracks)..
Of course that does mean his review is somewhat lowered in usefulness in the eyes of people who have their endgame Headphones and Amps etc- who I truly do not think he sees as his ‘niche audience’.
I have put up a few posts on his site trying to argue for the ‘middle ground’, and that perhaps we should acknowledge there is a sound difference, just not one ‘he values’; and over time he has ‘upped his value’ in perception of the DAC. At this point we are still arguing over whether it is worth sorting out the other bottlenecks in a system if we wish to fairly review equipment.. (and its been weeks, so I imagine he is waiting until he can respond ‘in turn’ with ‘his take’ on why my ideas don’t suit him (with the fall back that “nobody is wrong”)-

actually a similar theme has popped up in PC benchmarking this last fortnight, with Hardware Unboxed showing that Nvidia cards have around a 20% driver overhead on the CPU that shows itself on low powered CPUs.. and has led to much discussion about whether benchmarking parts should be done on super high end rigs (with no bottlenecks) or ‘real world conditions’ that end users might see.
Quite simply many gamers were not aware that a radeon RX5600 (mid level AMD card) could beat out a RTX3090 (flagship nvidia card) if the CPU didn’t have enough free resources..
People are upset that this could even be ‘a thing’ and that ‘how come no reviewers have pointed it out’(until now)..
IT kind of opens up the whole can of worms in the audio world about cables mattering, or (lossy) compressed music files no sounding equal to their lossless brethren.

Having had friends who believed the internet noise/masses, it generally takes less than 30 seconds for them to realise ‘wow, just how wrong I was’, when given a very clinical (beyond top tier) setup (ie true reference). I have been fortunate to have owned some AR-LSTs and a Sansui AU919 for decades and that has allowed me to test many equipment pieces ie hear the difference between transports when I comparing a TEAC P700 vs a Denon DCD-s10 (which was moddified with 18x blackgates and a superclock 2)..
An opinion from someone who feels ‘all DACs are the same’ means that they are not high on our review list. An opinion from someone who doesn’t listen to the music genres we like/listen to might mean less as well.
I learned in my teenage years to use classical music (and Nine Inch Nails) as reference materials as they simply pushed the limits of a system harder than anything else (and allowed me to discern differences)- it is why my family enjoys me testing DACs as it requires I burn through a large catalogue of artists playing super familiar ‘test tracks’ when trying to see how equipment handles ‘certain challenges’. (Some parts don’t make it past the first two or three recordings, meaning they are simply not dynamic enough (read ‘high quality’) to make music ‘musical’ for me.

As an example, when testing amplfiers and ‘head room’ a super easy track (not an orchestra) is Suzanne Vegas - “Fat Man and Dancing Girl” from the excellent (if short) album ‘99.9degrees’. Its not the best track on the album, but if it sounds like ‘a wall of noise’ when it gets ‘loud’ then I pass it up. Having heard how that track SHOULD sound it has helped seperate the what from the chaff. As an interesting aside, when I was playing with Planars late last year, having a few nice units from Audeze and Hifiman, it was interesting to note what they could AND COULDN’T do.
If you have YOUR LIST of familiar test tracks, then you have a short list to check what you are looking for.
Whilst I don’t expect anyone in the world to be able to find this one- (a Sydney Australia artist), “T.J Eckleberg” - “2 inches of darkness” is a great track to test a few things, but I always enjoy locating the drummer at the start of a track. On truly awesome setups he can sound 50 feet back from the speakers, on ‘great setups’ around 30 feet back.. and on average setups (that I would NEVER use) maybe 10ft back.. (it is a great track to note headphone breakin as when the soundfield opens up, the placement will noticably change).

For dynamics I have always enjoyed Gomez -Liquid Skin, “Devil may ride”; it is a long track but has a lot to it...
Of couse I have some goto Supertramp tracks due to them being a ‘big band’, (and enjoy Alan Parsons soundscapes too),..
but I cannot go past Enigma 1990(first album) track 2 for imaging /soundfield width.

I could list a lot and go on.. but my posts seem to be too long in general vs everyone elses.. so I was saving all these for a review where it would be my post to go to depth in..

I only bring up these things now as good testing, if being scientific, should have methodology.
I see some live reviewers throw on any track by request to ‘test equipment with’ and that wouldn’t cut it for me- to do the job right I need a panel- I get a few friends together in a couple of different KNOWN setups (that nothing changes on, with their speaker angles marked with tape etc), so we are comparing KNOWN elements and can listen for ‘the differences’.

Many will try and tell me ‘audio memory’ times and whatever they have read.. and seem to act like I haven’t spent my life living and breathing this stuff. Everyone has THEIR OWN PROCESS, and whilst I will always set up a fast switching station (often with A/B inputs assigned unknowingly to the two parts) for quick compares, using an A/B repeat function or a staggered playtime from two identical sources.. the thing is we all have a different approach, and decades of doing this has boiled down to ‘if your feet are tapping’, ‘its probably musical’. (pay attention to your feet) </B>(Seb has acknowledged this comment before and special thanks goes to Seb as he DOES read through everything on the iFi threads (and many more places around the interweb regarding head-fiery), cheers mon amigo!)

Diablo welsh dragon idea - now that would be epic - nothing a well programmed laser engraver couldn't manage?
<B>epic</B>
‘dragem- “my child loves ‘the world ends with you’ and loves drawing on everything.. so has been burdened with ‘marking’ my Diablo.”

Damn.. my ipad doesn’t seem to let me use the formatting stuff.. so this post is kinda messy. /endedit

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #924 of 2,985
Hey all,

I'm selling my Diablo (with iPurifier 3) if anyone's interested, only received it 5 days ago. It's got seriously clean and neutral power and tuning, I just decided I wanted some different synergy with my gear. Happy listening!

Mar 16, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #930 of 2,985
Well I guess I'm almost done :) If I now could just connect my diablo to the Nintendo Switch, I could live on the road forever!

It's really pity the WM1A can't be set as a Bluetooth Receiver and use at the same time the WMPort to connect to an external DAC like the Diablo.. and The Diablo has no BT LDAC input .. so no chance in this combo to get access to Qobuz or any Upnp server...

So I am waiting for the next version of "ifi portable amp diablo like", but with a BT 5.0 receiver too or a line In "4.4mm preamp mode". It should solve the Nintendo Switch issue too with a BT 5.0 adapter on the Switch... At least the Switch can be connected to the WM1A and be used with the headphone connected to the WM1A. Unfortunately without the possibility to pass through the WM1A to the Diablo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back