iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
May 30, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #301 of 2,173
I won’t do a review. (my writing skills are not great, and my ability to describe sound is atrocious), but my early impressions are in the post above (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...wireless-sound-on-the-go.967797/post-17581524). I will keep adding to my observations over the coming days, and hopefully others will as well!

I might summarize my impressions as: excellent build, excellent range, clean sound (w/LDAC), very comfortable (these are the first of this form factor I have ever used and I was worried about how comfortable these would be). Disappointing lack of an app - this is really a huge gap, in my opinion. To my ears, though others like @McCol might hear it differently, the BTR7 SQ is fuller and warmer compared to Go Pod being a bit cleaner and leaner. The BTR7’s app (not to mention the even better Qudelix 5K app) gives the BTR7 a big edge in living with the product. Lack of ambient mode in the Go Pod is another gap, though of course we don’t have that with a dongle style product either, so not a differentiator between the Go Pod and BTR7.

So far I am really happy that I have both - Go Pod will be my go to when I need a TWS option but don’t care about the lack of ANC ot ambient mode (when I need those features I have several TWS to choose from). BTR7 will stay in my rotation especially since it can also drive many of my easier to drive over ears.
I have been on record as not being a huge Bluetooth Fan, and use very little of the Tech myself, but I am very very interested in these, and am glad to see them getting "out in the wild" so to speak so more folks can comment on them like you are doing here.

I wish you continued success with them!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 30, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #302 of 2,173
We, the prospective buyers, need more owners to describe their impressions, especially regarding the sound quality. We need people who already own the FiiO BTR7, the Qudelix 5K and especially the FiiO UTWS5 to listen and compare thoroughly and in detail. Preferably by stating the genre(s) they are listening to, any streaming services, and the quality of their audio files, like FLAC, WAV, mp3 etc. And, of course, which IEMs they are using.

Last edited:
May 30, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #303 of 2,173
As always the guys at Bloom are great, I got a return label and shipped my iFi Go Pods back and will get a new pair.

I have the BTR7 as well and be able to do some comparisons

May 30, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #304 of 2,173
As always the guys at Bloom are great, I got a return label and shipped my iFi Go Pods back and will get a new pair.

I have the BTR7 as well and be able to do some comparisons
Happy for you, looking forward to your impressions versus the BTR7.

May 30, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #305 of 2,173
Just ordered a set from bloom audio

May 30, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #307 of 2,173
Any comparison and opinion is welcome, but I believe the real interest here should be the UTWS5 and not the BTR7.
I have utws5 and btr5 and the reason for my interest on GO Pod is to upgrade utws5. For BTR5 (or 7 ) I’ll be looking at GO Blu instead .
I think that you are spot on - owners of the UTWS5 will be interested in knowing if this is an upgrade!

However, don’t discount the value for people already reliant on BT dongles such as the BTR7 who might be interested in exploring a new usage model…

May 31, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #308 of 2,173
I think that you are spot on - owners of the UTWS5 will be interested in knowing if this is an upgrade!

However, don’t discount the value for people already reliant on BT dongles such as the BTR7 who might be interested in exploring a new usage model…
My standalone Pods are arriving today. I already have Meze Advars and UTWS5 which I think sound pretty good. However this combo falls a bit short of the wired Advars and the Mojo 2. Like you say be interesting to know if the Pods are an upgrade on the UTWS5s, but the Mojo 2 might also be able to come into play here when trying to evaluate how good the Pods are.

May 31, 2023 at 5:30 AM Post #309 of 2,173
My standalone Pods are arriving today. I already have Meze Advars and UTWS5 which I think sound pretty good. However this combo falls a bit short of the wired Advars and the Mojo 2. Like you say be interesting to know if the Pods are an upgrade on the UTWS5s, but the Mojo 2 might also be able to come into play here when trying to evaluate how good the Pods are.
Congrats, and I am really looking forward to your impressions, especially versus the UTWS5! Premature as they might be, please do not hesitate to share everything you felt/observed. :)

May 31, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #310 of 2,173
Congrats, and I am really looking forward to your impressions, especially versus the UTWS5! Premature as they might be, please do not hesitate to share everything you felt/observed. :)
Very, very early impressions, just out the box, and bear in mind "shiny new toy" head on. These are very good.
I'm not great at describing how things sound, some of the terms used in forums and the hifi media to describe how things sound go right over my head, and I'm not brilliant with TWS, bluetooth and codecs in general although have a decent enough basic understanding.
Before getting to the sound I would say the charging box is a bit bigger than I would have liked, and I'd be surprised if anybody carried it in the lower half of their body, you would need moderately deep pockets on a jacket I reckon, or a bag obviously. The box is not as sturdy as UTWS5, but it's far from flimsy and more than sturdy enough for what it is designed to do, and I'd imagine wouldn't be an issue for most. Fit wise, the hooks are sensational. I found the UTWS5s were always a bit loose, not so they'd fall off but I regularly had to adjust them. Obviously other peoples ears might not find them as snug a fit as mines do, but this is a big plus.
Sound wise they just fill every corner of your brain and ears when partnered with my Meze Advars, and the old cliche of hearing things I hadn't heard before was definitely happening. And as I said earlier I also have a Mojo 2 so it's not like I'm comparing with a cheap DAC. The bass is perfect, deep but not overpowering. For example I had a pair of Focal Bathys and any time I played Hot Wax from Back's album Odelay the bass was boomy as hell, here it is very controlled. Treble is not bright or harsh which would be a massive red flag for me so that is a relief. I played tracks from Dubnobasswithmyhead by Underworld, Harvest by Neil Young, some Aphex Twin, Taxman by The Beatles, tracks from the new album by A Certain Ratio, David Bowies album Low, reggae by likes of Augustus Pablo and King Tubby (amazing bass as expected), a few from Lou Reeds album Transformer, some lo fi post punk from The Fall's album Dragnet and the shiny punk pop of Sulk by The Associates - so you can see the Pod's have been exposed to a wide variation of styles, but also a variation of how well recorded (or not) the source material is. And the main take away was the Go Pod and Advar combo handled it all incredibly well. Can't wait to try some jazz later.

As I said all this was just "out the box", haven't went anywhere near an app yet so I've that to look forward to. My phone is a Samsung S22 so looks like I can only get Apt X unless anyone knows otherwise. Like I say I'm not great with codecs so might ask for some advice later. I played the muic back on either Apple Music or Roon, and Roon was informing me that the most I could achieve was 48khz.

So unless something comes out of left field to dampen my enthusiasm I will definitely be keeping them and selling the UTWS5s. Given the big discrepancy in prices are they 3 to 4 times as good as the UTWS5's? I think most people will probably know the answer is no they aren't. The question is are they worth £400? In my case I reckon they are, the music I heard for the last hour or two was definitely the best sound quality I've ever heard from an IEM/DAC setup on a mobile phone.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #311 of 2,173
Very, very early impressions, just out the box, and bear in mind "shiny new toy" head on. These are very good.
I'm not great at describing how things sound, some of the terms used in forums and the hifi media to describe how things sound go right over my head, and I'm not brilliant with TWS, bluetooth and codecs in general although have a decent enough basic understanding.
Before getting to the sound I would say the charging box is a bit bigger than I would have liked, and I'd be surprised if anybody carried it in the lower half of their body, you would need moderately deep pockets on a jacket I reckon, or a bag obviously. The box is not as sturdy as UTWS5, but it's far from flimsy and more than sturdy enough for what it is designed to do, and I'd imagine wouldn't be an issue for most. Fit wise, the hooks are sensational. I found the UTWS5s were always a bit loose, not so they'd fall off but I regularly had to adjust them. Obviously other peoples ears might not find them as snug a fit as mines do, but this is a big plus.
Sound wise they just fill every corner of your brain and ears when partnered with my Meze Advars, and the old cliche of hearing things I hadn't heard before was definitely happening. And as I said earlier I also have a Mojo 2 so it's not like I'm comparing with a cheap DAC. The bass is perfect, deep but not overpowering. For example I had a pair of Focal Bathys and any time I played Hot Wax from Back's album Odelay the bass was boomy as hell, here it is very controlled. Treble is not bright or harsh which would be a massive red flag for me so that is a relief. I played tracks from Dubnobasswithmyhead by Underworld, Harvest by Neil Young, some Aphex Twin, Taxman by The Beatles, tracks from the new album by A Certain Ratio, David Bowies album Low, reggae by likes of Augustus Pablo and King Tubby (amazing bass as expected), a few from Lou Reeds album Transformer, some lo fi post punk from The Fall's album Dragnet and the shiny punk pop of Sulk by The Associates - so you can see the Pod's have been exposed to a wide variation of styles, but also a variation of how well recorded (or not) the source material is. And the main take away was the Go Pod and Advar combo handled it all incredibly well. Can't wait to try some jazz later.

As I said all this was just "out the box", haven't went anywhere near an app yet so I've that to look forward to. My phone is a Samsung S22 so looks like I can only get Apt X unless anyone knows otherwise. Like I say I'm not great with codecs so might ask for some advice later. I played the muic back on either Apple Music or Roon, and Roon was informing me that the most I could achieve was 48khz.

So unless something comes out of left field I will definitely be keeping them and selling the UTWS5s. Are they 3 to 4 times as good as the UTWS5's? I think most people will probably know the answer is no they aren't. The question is are they worth £400? In my case I reckon they are, the music I heard for the last hour or two was definitely the best sound quality I've ever heard from an IEM/DAC set up on a mobile phone.

You should be able to use LDAC with that phone I'm pretty sure.

May 31, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #312 of 2,173

So unless something comes out of left field I will definitely be keeping them and selling the UTWS5s. Are they 3 to 4 times as good as the UTWS5's? I think most people will probably know the answer is no they aren't. The question is are they worth £400? In my case I reckon they are, the music I heard for the last hour or two was definitely the best sound quality I've ever heard from an IEM/DAC setup on a mobile phone.
Thank you very-very much for your initial impressions!!

I, as well, believe that you should definitely be able to use LDAC. My current phone is the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and LDAC is there. Please, try it. Are you running the latest firmware? If not, update the firmware and then go to the Developer Settings and set LDAC to Optimized for Audio Quality. Optional: you can also set Bluetooth audio sample rate = 44.1kHz

I have one last request, please. When you will find a minute, can you listen to this mix a bit?

Please, listen a few minutes and tell me how the bass sounds to you.

Thank you :)

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #313 of 2,173

So unless something comes out of left field I will definitely be keeping them and selling the UTWS5s. Are they 3 to 4 times as good as the UTWS5's? I think most people will probably know the answer is no they aren't. The question is are they worth £400? In my case I reckon they are, the music I heard for the last hour or two was definitely the best sound quality I've ever heard from an IEM/DAC setup on a mobile phone.
With the Go Pods connected, go to you phone Settings, then Connections, then Bluetooth, and select the “gear” next to the Go Pod. In that menu you will see LDAC and turn that on.

Hope this works for you!

May 31, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #314 of 2,173
Thank you very-very much for your initial impressions!!

I, as well, believe that you should definitely be able to use LDAC. My current phone is the Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra and LDAC is there. Please, try it. Are you running the latest firmware? If not, update the firmware and then go to the Developer Settings and set LDAC to Optimized for Audio Quality. Optional: you can also set Bluetooth audio sample rate = 44.1kHz

I have one last request, please. When you will find a minute, can you listen to this mix a bit?

Please, listen a few minutes and tell me how the bass sounds to you.

Thank you :)

Is there a firmware update?

May 31, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #315 of 2,173
Is there a firmware update?
Cannot know, not owning the device, don't think so, what I meant was for him to make sure he's running the latest firmware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back