iFi audio GO pod + IEMs = brilliant wireless sound on the GO!
Apr 15, 2023 at 2:06 PM Post #61 of 2,078
Thats issue seems to be on your phone.

My xiaomi mi10 globaleu rom dont have any issues when I change my bitrate.

U could checl that it be usually a fork problem in the android rom, not a utws5 problem. Check this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/xzuxpx/bluetoothldac_android_users_your_prayers_have/

Also, LDAC / LHDC got the same problem qith bitrate selection.

Have to mention, that my recently utws5 comes with LHDC installed, so its not a beta
Ironically, with my fw5, I can't even get LHDC to work with my m11 pro as transmitter.

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #63 of 2,078
Thats issue seems to be on your phone.

My xiaomi mi10 globaleu rom dont have any issues when I change my bitrate.

U could checl that it be usually a fork problem in the android rom, not a utws5 problem. Check this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/xzuxpx/bluetoothldac_android_users_your_prayers_have/

Also, LDAC / LHDC got the same problem qith bitrate selection.

Have to mention, that my recently utws5 comes with LHDC installed, so its not a beta
There is absolutely no problem with my secondary phone. Xiaomi POCO F2 Pro, Android 12, MIUI 14.0.1. FiiO themselves said they have introduced a beta version of the LHDC with 1.4 firmware, their Rep confirmed it can reach up to 500/560kbps on the respective thread, I have not seen anything re: LHDC leaving the beta state on their new v1.5 firmware. I am not interested in discussing anything FiiO related on this thread. Check out the respective thread, if interested. I am not.

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #64 of 2,078
Say thanks to Qualcomm for that. Without QHS (8g1 or newer) you're going to be limited to 660 kbps with that fancy TWM. There's no way around that (well, maybe except choosing 44.1 kHz, 909 kbps works a bit better than 990)
Even when set to 990kbps in Developer's mode? It works with BT dongles, why not TWS.

Apr 15, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #66 of 2,078
Folks, to clarify questions regarding price. Our GO pod is based on a rather expensive DAC and features balanced architecture. Each Pod outputs 120mW into 32 Ohms and half that into 16 Ohms. Pods and case feature 180 and 1500 mAh batteries too. On top of that there's also LDAC support. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 15, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #67 of 2,078
Folks, to clarify questions regarding price. Our GO pod is based on a rather expensive DAC and features balanced architecture. Each Pod outputs 120mW into 32 Ohms and half that into 16 Ohms. Pods and case feature 180 and 1500 mAh batteries too. On top of that there's also LDAC support. Hope this helps, thanks!
I would say, based on everything described, the GO Pod is a highly differentiated product. Thanks for making it.

Apr 15, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #68 of 2,078
My thoughts exactly, also got the Shure TW2. Been looking for a set recently and these peaked my interest until i saw the price, £300 more than the fiio (although they apparently have issues).
I had the utws5 mmcx (used a two pin adaptor) and it worked flawlessly for me. The app could sometimes be frustrating (usually just the initial install and pairing), but overall I really enjoyed them.
If they tighten up their app qc they’d be flawless imo. I’m really curious to see these hit the market. The price is very, very high, and so far I’ve not read anything in the description to justify it, but I’m interested. The ldac support is very nice, and it’s something the utws5 didn’t have. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #69 of 2,078
I had the utws5 mmcx (used a two pin adaptor) and it worked flawlessly for me. The app could sometimes be frustrating (usually just the initial install and pairing), but overall I really enjoyed them.
If they tighten up their app qc they’d be flawless imo. I’m really curious to see these hit the market. The price is very, very high, and so far I’ve not read anything in the description to justify it, but I’m interested. The ldac support is very nice, and it’s something the utws5 didn’t have. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.
I think if the sound is there to back up the price, then I can see the price being justified

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #70 of 2,078
I think if the sound is there to back up the price, then I can see the price being justified
Have you tried the utws3 or 5? While I haven't tried the 5 I have the 3 and haven't been disappointed in the performance or SQ of the device. While LDAC is nice, I don't notice any audible difference between AAC and LDAC so it's not a deal breaker for me

Apr 15, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #71 of 2,078
My suggestion to @iFi audio : you have enough Bluetooth products now that you should really consider making an all-in-one companion app that will allows control / changing setting / updating firmware in one place. It has been done by many of your competitors (FiiO, Hiby, Shanling, Qudelix, etc), even on products costing much less, and it is strange that iFi, which excels in design and innovation, has avoided this elephant in the room for as long as you have.

4pw07x.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #72 of 2,078
Have you tried the utws3 or 5? While I haven't tried the 5 I have the 3 and haven't been disappointed in the performance or SQ of the device. While LDAC is nice, I don't notice any audible difference between AAC and LDAC so it's not a deal breaker for me
Yeah I have both. The 3 has a noticeable decrease in sound quality especially regarding sound stage compared to a wire with BTR5 and the BTR5 is not as good as a wire to a good DAP. There's also noticeable background hissing with my IEMs that I tried with it.

The 5, I like more than 3 for sure. Regarding sound, I don't notice majority of the shortcomings that the 3 has. Won't be as good as a wire to a good DAP, but might be as good as a wire to a BTR5 regarding sound (although I need to test that again first to refresh my memory). I think the UTWS5 is a great option for the price for most people that want to take their IEMs hands free without much compromise sonically. UTWS3 will be a compromise sonically, but better price of course.

I haven't tried LDAC yet. I've been primarily testing AptX Adaptive on my PC with the UTSW3/5 lately. I haven't tried UTWS3 or 5 with my DAP yet which has LDAC

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #73 of 2,078
Yeah I have both. The 3 has a noticeable decrease in sound quality especially regarding sound stage compared to a wire with BTR5 and the BTR5 is not as good as a wire to a good DAP. There's also noticeable background hissing with my IEMs that I tried with it.

The 5, I like more than 3 for sure. Regarding sound, I don't notice majority of the shortcomings that the 3 has. Won't be as good as a wire to a good DAP, but might be as good as a wire to a BTR5 regarding sound (although I need to test that again first to refresh my memory). I think the UTWS5 is a great option for the price for most people that want to take their IEMs hands free without much compromise sonically. UTWS3 will be a compromise sonically, but better price of course.

I haven't tried LDAC yet. I've been primarily testing AptX Adaptive on my PC with the UTSW3/5 lately. I haven't tried UTWS3 or 5 with my DAP yet which has LDAC
Utws3/5 don't support LDAC. I'll have to try my 3 with my main IEMs again since it's been a while (I have a set that is permanently connected to it) but I haven't noticed a difference on my q5K between codecs and I noticed no difference between my q5k and hiby R5 gen 2 for my buds and IEMs

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #74 of 2,078
I am not saying this in a condescending way at all, but if you hear no difference between these codecs, why do you care about hifi audio at all? You could be completely care free with some random bluetooth buds.

I really am genuine about this, if I could not hear the difference, that would have saved me so much money.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #75 of 2,078
I am not saying this in a condescending way at all, but if you hear no difference between these codecs, why do you care about hifi audio at all? You could be completely care free with some random bluetooth buds.

I really am genuine about this, if I could not hear the difference, that would have saved me so much money.
Not the guy you replied to, but TWS adapters provide other forms of value besides audio quality, the biggest being the freedom to use the IEMs of your choice (though compatibility can be hit or miss). If you don’t have average ears, fit can be a serious issue with IEMs. Or, maybe you just like how a certain model looks, and feels in the ear.

I really like the deep insertion from Etymotic IEMs, as well as their sound signature. I don’t have golden ears, so I am not bothered by the hit in quality brought upon by AAC simply because I can’t really pick it up (I use an iPhone and occasionally my Windows or Mac laptops for Bluetooth audio). There is nothing in the consumer TWS market that can isolate me to the level of Etymotic. So to me, these factors make TWS conversions absolutely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back