iFi audio GO Bar - The Best Pocketable HiFi System, Bar None!
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #1,066 of 1,191
Nov 2, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,067 of 1,191
ifi GO bar: A wolf in sheep's clothing...

Before purchasing it, as I usually do, I read all the available reviews to get an idea of what I would find when I opened the box. In addition to the many advantages, in the reviews, I found some "defects" listed... but all these "defects" all led in the same direction... and instead of pushing me away... they pushed me even more towards it. Many wrote about its balanced sound signature, the refined mids that were always present in all reproductions, the highs that were extended but never intrusive and never unbalanced the sound. But in the end there were "defects": bass perhaps too full and present, hiss with sensitive IEMs, poor power and dynamics with low impedance IEMs/headphones, difficulty in fine-tuning the volume due to its enormous power, sound tending in the dark... and then there was a feature and above all a value that differentiated it from all the other dongles on the market. The ifi GO bar is the only "dongle" that increased the impedance of the connected IEMs/headphones, increasing the power and above all the current it supplies... therefore not very suitable for IEMs with low impedance and high efficiency... and then there was him... the most shocking fact of all... with a 300ohm load it brings out the beauty of 6.2 volts in balanced mode. I said to myself "these are not dongle features, these are desktop equipment features and very good ones at that". Today as soon as it arrived (just to see if everything was ok) I connected it to the Letshuoer S12 PRO and it actually sounded a little dark and with the bass very evident (also due to the IEMs) just checked that everything was in order there I immediately disconnected the IEMs, turned the volume up to maximum and set the high gain. In a few seconds it was already connected in balanced mode to my Cayin iHA-6 which in turn was connected to the inevitable HE6SEV2... everything was ready for the test... and I turned it on. A wall of sound invades me already at 9:00 on the Cayin's volume... while with other dongles to get that result I would have had to go beyond 11:00. Everything is simply perfect, zero hiss, not even the shadow of advanced bass, an absolute reference balance, sound not too dark and not too clear in a word perfect, bass with very deep textures, restrained, dry, powerful, with millimetric control, mids with extreme musicality, smooth, clear, crystalline, voices and instruments of the same very high level, highs simply perfect for impact, extension, tonality and clarity. A top ten sound. Now let's go back to the title... and the substance of this "fake dongle"... you can listen to it with IEMs, like you can see a lion in a cage. You can listen to it with headphones, like you can see a lion in the zoo. You must listen to it in pure DAC configuration... and it will be like seeing a lion free in the savannah... its prey is music. Those at ifi thought of hiding a wolf under the skin of a lamb (as in the famous fairy tale)... now it's your turn to discover what the ifi GO bar can really do... a desktop DAC in the shape of a dongle. .. that's what didn't add up to me in its reviews... no one saw what was under the lambskin... a wolf.
That's interesting, it seems like you're saying it's a pickier amp than most people think. I typically use the Go Bar with a Neumann NDH20 Black Edition, which is 150 ohms, and I find the sound to be really excellent with Xbass enabled, best bass I've ever heard honestly. But I should say, this is with a way way better USB cable than the stock one, and one of the things that improved over the stock USB was that the bass became tighter, more defined (though not any less powerful or slammy). I definitely recommend upgrading your USB cable to get tighter bass, the stock USB I think makes the bass a bit muddy, at least in comparison to the god tier bass I'm hearing with my fancy USB.

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #1,068 of 1,191
That's interesting, it seems like you're saying it's a pickier amp than most people think. I typically use the Go Bar with a Neumann NDH20 Black Edition, which is 150 ohms, and I find the sound to be really excellent with Xbass enabled, best bass I've ever heard honestly. But I should say, this is with a way way better USB cable than the stock one, and one of the things that improved over the stock USB was that the bass became tighter, more defined (though not any less powerful or slammy). I definitely recommend upgrading your USB cable to get tighter bass, the stock USB I think makes the bass a bit muddy, at least in comparison to the god tier bass I'm hearing with my fancy USB.
Now I'm listening to it with the Hifiman RE2000S... it's really "special"!

P.S. I have both the WP1 and WP2... great cables... but also decent
expensive...

ifigo.jpg

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #1,069 of 1,191
I'm not saying that the GO bar is demanding or selective... more than anything, in my opinion it has hidden qualities (not so much) that should be used... and instead they are sometimes mistaken for defects. It is an additional possibility to be able to use it as an excellent desktop DAC... but no one is stopping you from using it as a normal dongle... obviously taking care not to connect particularly efficient and low impedance IEMs/headphones to it. Someone might say "but how does the ie match?" and I would answer that is the best way to make it sound like it shouldn't.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,070 of 1,191
Hi,
My go bar gold does not work at all with my iphone 15 pro max (usb c). No pb with lightning port, but iphone 15 series is an issue…
Is there a fix for this ?

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #1,071 of 1,191
Hi,
My go bar gold does not work at all with my iphone 15 pro max (usb c). No pb with lightning port, but iphone 15 series is an issue…
Yikes, it may be because the usb c on the iPhone is not compatible with the cable that’s built for Android devices.

Idk how it works but I hope there’s a fix when I upgrade to the 16 from my 14 pro max as the gold bar will stay with me for a looooong time!

Nov 23, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #1,072 of 1,191
Hi,

Listening to my Go Bar from my iPhone 15 Pro now, all good.

It seems to work fine with any random cable I try.

I also just tried it with HD600 with the volume maxed out from the 4.4mm, still no problem and sounds great.

The pro models have USB 3.0 which I understand has a higher power delivery available so I can’t imagine it is a problem with the phone.

I assume you have tried other cables, I don’t believe they need to be OTG, the cheap Apple supplied charging cable works fine for me, not that I use it, just in testing to respond to your query.

EDITED TO ADD: Out of curiosity I tried my iPhone 15 Pro with all 8 of the DACs, DAC/amps and Dongles that I own and it works flawlessly with them all.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,073 of 1,191
Listening to my Go Bar from my iPhone 15 Pro now, all good.

It seems to work fine with any random cable I try.

I also just tried it with HD600 with the volume maxed out from the 4.4mm, still no problem and sounds great.

The pro models have USB 3.0 which I understand has a higher power delivery available so I can’t imagine it is a problem with the phone.

I assume you have tried other cables, I don’t believe they need to be OTG, the cheap Apple supplied charging cable works fine for me, not that I use it, just in testing to respond to your query.

EDITED TO ADD: Out of curiosity I tried my iPhone 15 Pro with all 8 of the DACs, DAC/amps and Dongles that I own and it works flawlessly with them all.
Well, my go bar gold works flawlessly with my ipad pro, so that is really weird.
Only device that does not power up the gold bar is the iphone 15 pro max. Same result with a friend’s iphone 15 pro max.
I thinkt the gold bar shares the same specs with the standard go bar, and the iphone 15 pro should have the same usb port as the 15 pro max…so I don’t get why it does not work here.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #1,074 of 1,191
Well, my go bar gold works flawlessly with my ipad pro, so that is really weird.
Only device that does not power up the gold bar is the iphone 15 pro max. Same result with a friend’s iphone 15 pro max.
I thinkt the gold bar shares the same specs with the standard go bar, and the iphone 15 pro should have the same usb port as the 15 pro max…so I don’t get why it does not work here.

Yes that is strange.

I think the Gold Bar just has a slight change internally but it is hard to imagine whatever the changes are they would need substantially more power.

Also it would seem logical that the iPhone USB-C power management would be essentially the same as the iPad, I mean they have to meet a specification, it isn’t like they just make up what the performance will be.

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,075 of 1,191
Today I tried going back to a previous gold bar firmware (1.7) and it did not work.
But when I eventually got back to firmware 2.4 (I was on 2.4a at first)…it worked !
The the iphone asked me if I wanted to treat this device as a headphone or other device : I chose « other device » … and it stopped working right away ! 😢

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #1,076 of 1,191
Today I tried going back to a previous gold bar firmware (1.7) and it did not work.
But when I eventually got back to firmware 2.4 (I was on 2.4a at first)…it worked !
The the iphone asked me if I wanted to treat this device as a headphone or other device : I chose « other device » … and it stopped working right away ! 😢

Odd indeed.

Just a thought, in Settings - Sounds and Haptics - Headphone Safety - USB Audio Accessories you can “Forget all USB Audio Accessories”.

Might be worth trying that. It might have got itself in a bind.

Also in the same area make sure to turn off all headphone safety nonsense and when the phone asks if it is a headphone say other device and in the settings for USB Audio Accessories turn off Connected to Headphones.

Can’t hurt.

Pretty sure mine is on 2.4a.

Nov 24, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #1,078 of 1,191
Nov 24, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #1,079 of 1,191
I’ve tried various usb c to lightning cables based on the suggestions on here with my gold go bar. Boy as it been a worthwhile steady upgrade from the stock cables. Using only my iphone 14 pro -> Sennheiser hd660s2 or ie900 the sound improvements as been incredible. The go bar gold is really a dongle to be reckoned with, it’s really that good sonically! My end game cable that works flawlessly with the gold go bar (please stay so far another year :)) is the Luxury and Precision WP2. Hell it’s an expensive cable(i chuckle at it) but it as saved me upgrading to the ip15 pro for the usb 3.0 power draw as i truly believe it’s outpouring the most juice out of this incredible go bar gold > other cable have done. I forget which filter it is precisely, im set on the yellow filter (slow roll n phase) and it’s mwah from any artist. If you’re here unsure about a dongle; do yourself a favour, get it, you wont regret your last liver :)

oh i own the regular go bar too, didn’t want to make it obvious which i faved :)

Nov 24, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,080 of 1,191

Sorry for the banality of the advice, but, when the problem arises, have you tried inserting the male USBC connector by reversing it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back