If your going to sell IEMs, you better be selling eartips /rant

Are dealers in North America failing us by not selling eartips?

• Yes. I need more selection. Buying from Amazon Japan is inconvenient.

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No. The ear tip selection is adequate.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • The ear-tips that come with my IEMs are adequate why would I buy more?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DanielListening

1000+ Head-Fier
Maybe I am being dramatic… but I don’t think so.

I think we as a community should name and shame dealers (or send a collective letter) who sell IEMs costing anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars and do not support these products. Let me explain.

We all understand and appreciate the importance of eartips for the function, fit, and enjoyment of earphones/IEMs. How do these dealers not acknowledge this?

I can appreciate it being a logistical, organizational and purchasing/supplier nightmare. That being said I feel that to sell a $3,000 or $6,000 IEM or even a $1,200 IEM with the understanding of how important eartips are it’s completely irresponsible and negligent. It is a dealers obligation to support the products and therefore I feel that by in large the North American dealers are failing us.

None of these stores sell eartips in any great number. Resorting to purchasing ear tips from Amazon Japan is unacceptable.

If these dealers are going to sell IEMs they must then support the product by selling a wide selection of eartips.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Answer the poll.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #2 of 13
Cast my vote... In the Uk though, I’m guessing it’s even worse here. I really want to try the Spiral dots (I take two sizes) but either I’m being as tight as a badger or well, something holds me back! Best I can do is Japan =£25 x2 without whatever tax to find out, for tips! The azla Sedna X’s are the best I’ve tried (sound-fit-least fiddly) so far.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 13
Maybe I am being dramatic… but I don’t think so.

I think we as a community should name and shame dealers (or send a collective letter) who sell IEMs costing anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars and do not support these products. Let me explain.

We all understand and appreciate the importance of eartips for the function, fit, and enjoyment of earphones/IEMs. How do these dealers not acknowledge this?

I can appreciate it being a logistical, organizational and purchasing/supplier nightmare. That being said I feel that to sell a $3,000 or $6,000 IEM or even a $1,200 IEM with the understanding of how important eartips are it’s completely irresponsible and negligent. It is a dealers obligation to support the products and therefore I feel that by in large the North American dealers are failing us.

None of these stores sell eartips in any great number. Resorting to purchasing ear tips from Amazon Japan is unacceptable.

If these dealers are going to sell IEMs they must then support the product by selling a wide selection of eartips.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Answer the poll.
I answered no because everyone has different ears with different fit needs. You cannot expect dealers to carry every kind of tip when there are plenty of sources of tips available now. I don't even use the stock tips. I have my own box full of my favorite tips that I use for any and all IEMs I purchase. Everyone should do the same thing. IEMs are useless without the proper seal and you can only determine which ones fit best for you by trial and error. What we need is someone who sells a box of tips that includes a dozen of the most popular tips in several sizes as a beginners kit for tip rolling.

Here is the tip box that I created to take with me to CanJams and hifi stores for tip rolling

tip box.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #4 of 13
I guess I’m just frustrated but the last pair of spin fits I bought cost me like $30 with shipping for two pairs From Amazon.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 13
I personally think that IEM makers should supply the Eartips that the IEM was tuned with and that is all. The rest is on you. Of course we all have different ear anatomy and preferences but I don't think it's the responsibility of IEM makers to cater to this (to an extent) ... of course IEM makers providing more is always nice though.

EDIT: Maybe I should start creating boxes for people? I've built up far too many over the years.

Attachments

• AF22A7AB-1A54-4ECA-9F89-AFB723D6B9A0.jpeg
    AF22A7AB-1A54-4ECA-9F89-AFB723D6B9A0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6 of 13
I guess I’m just frustrated but the last pair of spin fits I bought cost me like $30 with shipping for two pairs From Amazon.
You are on to an important problem. I think Tristy has the right answer. It's up to the manufacturer to provide tips that it recommends for its product.

But, an IEM dealer can differentiate itself by providing a box such as I recommended as part of their purchase. Set a price of $49 for a box and throw it in if they buy an IEM from them. They can probably buy tips in bulk for pretty cheap.

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #7 of 13
I’m just loosing my mind trying to buy ear-tips On Amazon.ca

No JVC Spiral Dots, don’t have this one in my size until January, azla sedna earfit crystal aren’t available in S... it just goes on and on. Not to mention different nozzle diameters, etc.

It should not be THIS difficult to buy eartips.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I suppose it depends who you are dealing with.

I was after some additional stock eartips for my 3DT, and both Musictek and UM were VERY helpful in sorting me out. Full marks to both of them.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 13
I guess in my opinion I just feel like high end IEM importers should also be importing third party tips in bulk too. Going through amazon to get tips can be a hassle, and it would be nice to be able to buy them at the same time as the IEMs.

I don’t think the dealers should be bundling more tips with the IEMs themselves, I just would like to be able to pay an additional $20 for the tips I want to come with my new IEMs.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 13
and if you need more tips in the future there is one place to go.

This is kinda my point! I’m so frustrated trying to find some tips for my earphones, the place I buy the IEMs doesn’t have tips and that’s a problem in my mind.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 13
Cast my vote... In the Uk though, I’m guessing it’s even worse here. I really want to try the Spiral dots (I take two sizes) but either I’m being as tight as a badger or well, something holds me back! Best I can do is Japan =£25 x2 without whatever tax to find out, for tips! The azla Sedna X’s are the best I’ve tried (sound-fit-least fiddly) so far.

Ugh! Me too! I usually need a SS and a S to make it work. Sometimes I can get away with just S but not always.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 13
Well, there are a couple of local head-fi dealers in Aus that also carry a selection of different tips from Final, Azla, Dekoni etc, so I can always get them in-store or online.

But I'm also happy to browse mtmt, Penon, Amazon and wherever else to get a better deal, even if it takes 6 weeks in the post. Gives me something to look forward to when checking the mailbox every day...

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Sounds like the Australian dealers know what’s up! Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back