If your favorite music has a video clip it sucks.
Feb 22, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by 3lusiv3
Ok. Now that I have your attention.

Music is about music. Music artists create music for the music, and for themselves. Usually if there is a a video it has had some sort of input from a record label that is only after profits and doesn't care about music.

So what do you think? I'm very into buying music but I never watch music videos. To me, it's all about the music and I don't give a sh about music videos.

I rarely watch music videos since very few artists I listen to have them, but I don't automatically dislike a group who does make a music video. I have watched a few videos by Project Pitchfork and they are actually pretty good, but I liked the songs already. The stuff on MTV is pretty bad, but the stuff I listen to never ends up on there anyway.

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #18 of 27
Half of the performance for us classical musicians is how you look, what your body is doing as you play (movements and such), your breathing, etc. The audience pays to see this as well as the performance.

Think of classical performances as a music video. Now reword your statement so that it's not blatantly stupid.

Cheers,
Geek

Feb 24, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 27
I don't seek out music videos, but I enjoy music video on their own terms, separate from the music. Sometimes the music I don't particularly care for have cool videos (recent example: Slow by Kylie Minogue -- they play it on buses, and for a while I've had no choice but to watch it while commuting -- loved every moment of it
biggrin.gif
)

As a whole I don't like Bjork much, but I think her videos are the summits of creative genius and computer technology.

But for most cases, video kills the radio stars.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Geek
Half of the performance for us classical musicians is how you look, what your body is doing as you play (movements and such), your breathing, etc. The audience pays to see this as well as the performance.

Think of classical performances as a music video. Now reword your statement so that it's not blatantly stupid.

Cheers,
Geek

Live performances, or recordings of live performances were not what I was originally talking about. Live performances are usually quite different to music videos.

There are also many very good quality videos that complement the music that they were created for, but this not usually the case because the videos are usually made to create an image for the artist, by the record label.

The thread subject was meant to get attention, which I have explained previously.

Feb 25, 2004 at 12:46 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

The thread subject was meant to get attention, which I have explained previously.

Don't sweat it dude. Threads have lives of their own.
cool.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

I just got the Bjork Volumen >2003 DVD.

I think I had an eyegasm. The videos were so incredibly beautiful and perfectly complimented the music.

god yes.. its amazing.. first thing i thought of saying as soon as i seen the thread title... have the original volumen and all the recent dvd singles and corresponding videos.. theres not a bad one among them (oh ok maybe hunter).

Mar 5, 2004 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

OK. I've let this go for a while. Video is **** and I'm seeing this **** right now as I listen to my own music on my cans while watching TV. There is no way around this. I listen to a lot of music but I never see anything I like on video on TV. I know this is a personal choice so I just want to get this off my chest, don't diss me. I'm not dissing what you like so don't take it personally, it's just that I never see video clips of anything that I listen to.

3lusiv3, I see that you live in Australia. Are your comments based on the American music networks {MTV, M2, VH1, CMTV, etc.} or are there similar Australian networks? Those networks between them play a huge library of music which is representative of what most Americans listen to. Sure, there are some people who only like underground music, but I would dare to them a fringe element. Nearly everyone would have some songs they really like which have been made into videos.

However, I'm not really sure how this would translate to other countries.

Mar 23, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 27
I don't necessarily see a strong correlation. As a general rule though, I don't like listening to music without videos. So, for better or worse, it's much more likely that I'll listen to a song or composition if it has a video. Hopefully both are good.

And it would not surprise me if some artists conceptualize a video before or at the same time they create a new piece of music.

I was also going to say that a good video will make it more likely for me to listen to a bad piece of music. But that's not really true either. Because if the music really bites, then I'll usually turn the video off, and skip to the next thing. A good video might increase the chances of me listening to a mediocre piece of music though, esp. if the SQ on the video is decent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back