If you were stranded on a desert island, what single (1) CD would you want?
Jul 31, 2003 at 3:50 PM Post #46 of 54
Depending on the mood:

Morphine - Best Of (my version, not the official one) to enjoy my stay over there as long as it lasts

or

Stereo MC`s - Retroactive to keep the high spirit real high

But it would be a big surprise if I made it to the island after the shipwreck considering my swimming skills.

Jul 31, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #47 of 54
Quote:

Originally posted by Nightfall
(Concerning Famine Remembrance by Patrick Cassidy)

Great piece of music, Mike. You are the only person that I have ever seen who also knew of this cd. I have Patrick Cassidy's other cd, Deirdre of the Sorrows and can strongly recommend it too. An exceptional composer.

JC

Make that two. Indeed I have both Famine Remembrance and Deirdere of The Sorrows (I cannot find Patrick Cassidy's earlier album, Children of Lir -- he sure has an obsession for Irish tragedies). Both are symphonic cycles that boast solid, eloquent choral writing -- and the theme that opens and closes Famine Remembrance can crush a heart of stone. I however find his writing rather conventional, there isn't a lot of character; and the full expressive nuances of the symphonic orchestra is not fully explored (though Deirdere is definitely an improvment over Famine). Probably not a great musical genius, but a composer who can be hoped to master his trade over time.

I also think Patrick Cassidy has been hampered by the wrong music label: back then, in the late 90s, Windham Hill's sole intention had been to cash in on the Celtic Twilight craze -- which obviously wasn't Cassidy's desire. He could've found more recognition had he signed a label with a strong background in 20th century classical music, like Nonesuch.

Jul 31, 2003 at 4:27 PM Post #48 of 54
Back to the topic of this thread -- my one-and-only desert island CD has changed considerably over time, following my preoccupation at that moment. For a long while I've been attracted by the beautiful melancholy and the buoyant sense of hope in Kitaro's Kojiki. Then I was impressed by Lorrena McKennitt's The Book of Secrets with its breath of musical styles and scholarly research. Then, as my life took a turbulent turn, I was drawn to more troubled music -- Battlefield of Green by John McDermott, Untitled by Tim Story, Between Tides by Roger Eno.

Life has been happier since, and musically I switched to the folksy mode. For the past year or so, if you ask me my single favourite recording, it would be Water From The Well by the Chieftains -- a well-thought-out overview of Irish traditional styles, with the Chieftains at their strongest ensembleship.

Jul 31, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #49 of 54
Hmm, if it had to be just one...

I'd pick Anthony Warlow - The Best of Act One

Now there's a voice I could listen to forever.

And yes, mix cds are cheating
smily_headphones1.gif
. That's like saying I'll just take my iPod
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2003 at 3:36 PM Post #51 of 54
it'll definately be a mixed CD compiled by myself. it might look something like this:

Ride - Dreams Burn Down
The Cure - All Cats are Grey
Joy Division - New Dawn Fades
New Order - Everything's Gone Green
Slowdive - Morningrise
Blur - Trimm Trabb
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - The Romance of the Telescope
Pet Shop Boys - My October Symphony
Radiohead - The National Anthem
Primal Scream - Exterminator
Suede - The Asphalt World
Catherine Wheel - Flower to Hide
James - Five O
The Cure - The Same Deep Water as You

i'm sure everything will fit on one 80 min. CDR. in fact, i think i'll compile this list this weekend!
biggrin.gif
it looks awesome.
smily_headphones1.gif

speaking of Desert Island Discs, i used to love reading people's DID lists from the Pulse! magazine from Tower records. whatever happened to that mag? the last one i saw had Tori Amos on the cover, it also graced my DID list.
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #52 of 54
Cher's Greatest Hits.After listening to this for one day, I would take my own life, and then I wouldn't have to worry about being stranded on a deserted island.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 1:32 AM Post #54 of 54
Well, I've got a new one -- Liz Phair (latest album, self-titled). If you're gonna be trapped on a desert island all by yourself, might as well bring a hot lady telling you how much she wants you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back