If you use a portable amp through line out, does the source make any difference at all?
Feb 13, 2012 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

KKSlider1337

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Bit of an amateur on this kinda stuff, but I have some Goldring NS1000 headphones and a Fiio E5 amp that I used to use with an iPod Classic through an LOD cable. I used to like this setup, but sold the iPod for a good price when the opportunity came up because I needed the money. 

Playing music through my HTC Desire through the headphone port, even using the amp, is really not as satisfying. Now I've secured a job, I'll have some money to spend to get the good quality back that I enjoyed previously.

My question is, does it matter what source it is if you use an LOD cable? I wouldn't mind an iPod Touch in the long term, but for the short term if I can't afford that would it make any difference if I got something else? For example, I have an old Walkman 16GB player which sounds pretty mediocre through the 3.5mm, but if I bought an LOD cable for a fiver, should it sound the same as my iPod did because the sound chip is bypassed? And don't some of those cheap Sandisk players support line out too?

I'm thinking that surely the player must make a little bit of difference, as the EQ settings on my iPod used to affect it even though the chip was being bypassed.

Thanks for the help, I'd really appreciate an answer on this one. 

James

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 5
The player will affect the sound a lot as you are only bypassing the players headphone amp but not the dac. And even if the same dac chip was used the specific implementation could affect the sound

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:38 PM Post #3 of 5
Save yourself the effort of working your way through a complete 4 piece portable stereo, or even a serious desktop setup - since this is nearly as good as the very best desktop setups - and get an iBasso DX100.  

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #5 of 5
Fine, it's a little over the budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back