If you tried on a perfectly transparent headphone, would you still complain about it? Is live music really "perfect"?
Jun 12, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #16 of 17

I don't see the difference between "instrument" and "teleportation VR device" in this context. They are subjective descriptions and can potentially mean the same thing.

Specifically an uncanny valley effect of a perfect headphone is the difference that I am imagining. Perhaps people enjoy Audeze over more neutral TOTLs because they know at some level that it's not real, that their just wearing a device that makes pretty sounds on their heads, whereas the neutral ones are so real that it weirds them out.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 17
  Specifically an uncanny valley effect of a perfect headphone is the difference that I am imagining. Perhaps people enjoy Audeze over more neutral TOTLs because they know at some level that it's not real, that their just wearing a device that makes pretty sounds on their heads, whereas the neutral ones are so real that it weirds them out.

I had actually never heard of the uncanny valley effect until now. Interesting. I guess it can go many ways. Due to the diversity of recordings, there are bound to be circumstances where a less accurate headphone would end up sounding more accurate. Audeze headphones have very low distortion, so there's that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back