If you take away all restrictions, would you still buy headphones?
Dec 31, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #31 of 48
Then I  just use my HT setup that I have in the closet while having my headphones.

Dec 31, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #32 of 48
Hey I'm back on the forum after a long break. I would have both.

Reasoning. I don't know why but when studying headphones help me concentrate more.
I suppose that if I was retired and didn't have to do anything except relax. I would go for the speakers, it would be nice to listen to music with a nice glass of Glendronach neat and a Montecristo No.2 cigar.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #33 of 48
Always the headphones, unless I wanted to listen with someone else. I love the sense of immersion and envelopment.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #35 of 48
Sure.  I like to fall asleep to music with headphones on - that way I'm always in the sweet spot.

They also serve as great troubleshooting devices for speaker performance.  Often, when I want to hear what something "really" sounds like - for troubleshooting room treatment or driver/amp problems, the headphones go on because I know I can trust them.

But I listen to speakers 99% of my waking hours at home over headphones.

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #36 of 48
If you take away the fact i live in an apartment i would use my $100 logitech speakers all day. I prefer even cheap speakers to every headphone i have tried.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #38 of 48
The amazing thing is I may have been conditioned to love headphones? Thinking back.........maybe I would play a fantastic stereo all the time with no loudness issues or cost issues in play.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #39 of 48
No matter how good headphones are, they cannot recreate:

1 - Sound stage of a pair of well positioned speakers, as you cannot get away from the fact that the headphones are an inch from your ear canal, music is coming there no matter what.  With speakers at least you can move them or move your chair.

2 - Bass.  Real bass.  But good bass,  kind of bass that you can feel it in your lungs even.  Spend $1 million on a pair of headphones you still will not be able to create that kind of bass.

3 - The totally in awe feeling that you can almost touch the music in the air, and can see the placement of the band in front of you between the speakers, that the concert is in your living room and not in your head.

HD800 and Buttkicker handles these.

The problem I have with speakers is all the objects I have in my listening room/office that can get in the way of the soundwaves from speakers as I walk around. I can walk anywhere (in the room) with headphones and still have the same sound and soundstage. If I built a room solely for listening I would go with speakers and have better hair.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #41 of 48
I may not have enuogh experience with hi-end speakers, but my thougts are that headphones can block out the rest of the world in a very
effective way. That makes for me a special musicenjoyment.
Also, with headphones one can hear a large amount of detail at low volume, wich is good for me.
So, for me the answer is a simlple question; without restrictions, why not have both?

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 48

Quote:
Nope

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-X-530-5-1-Speaker-System/dp/B0002WPSCG

ahh i missed these series. i was thinking about these but thought against it. ineeded the power...
see the typo in the description box?
"[size=small]51-Channel speaker system for PCs"[/size]

[size=small]wow...51 channel speaker system...the most legit thing for $100 i have ever hear of..where do i buy? lol [/size]

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #44 of 48

Quote:
ahh i missed these series. i was thinking about these but thought against it. ineeded the power...
see the typo in the description box?
"[size=small]51-Channel speaker system for PCs"[/size]

[size=small]wow...51 channel speaker system...the most legit thing for $100 i have ever hear of..where do i buy? lol [/size]

Lmao.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back