If you take away all restrictions, would you still buy headphones?
Dec 31, 2011 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

raymondlin

Architect &Musical Fidelity X-Man v2
I understand why people like headphones, these are a few of the reasons:-

1 - live with others so they are being considerate, I.e. parents or partners.
2 - live in an apartment of a semi detached property so they are being considerate
3 - you get better value for money compare to the same amount spent on speakers system.

But what if I remove the price and location element? Imagine if you have a house in the middle of nowhere, your nearest neighbour is 5 miles away.  Look outside your window you see nothing but your garden or should I say, field.  You can afford it, you can even afford to build a building for the HiFi system with the proper acoustics constructions. 

Would you still buy headphones?  Would you buy a mains power CD player, mains powered amp and plug yourself into some headphones?

And why?

I fully appreciate headphones their place, this is why I ask because there are people who do prefer it over speakers but after 10 years of headphone ownership I just cannot fathom why if. You have the means for a wicked speakers system.

No matter how good headphones are, they cannot recreate:

1 - Sound stage of a pair of well positioned speakers, as you cannot get away from the fact that the headphones are an inch from your ear canal, music is coming there no matter what.  With speakers at least you can move them or move your chair.

2 - Bass.  Real bass.  But good bass,  kind of bass that you can feel it in your lungs even.  Spend $1 million on a pair of headphones you still will not be able to create that kind of bass.

3 - The totally in awe feeling that you can almost touch the music in the air, and can see the placement of the band in front of you between the speakers, that the concert is in your living room and not in your head.

I am basically asking if you take away any and all restrictions that speakers impose on the user (costs, space etc), would you still buy headphones?

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 48
For the absolute music listening experience, I would get speakers. With headphones, though, I like not having to stay in the "sweet spot"...and call me weird, but I like the physical feeling of wearing headphones.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 48
I would just spend my time traveling to see live acts in far away places, At home I would have a small hifi system, a turntable, pre-amp+amp, and bookshelf monitors, and a recording studio with thousands of instruments and at least ten pianos and lots of synths, with an entire wall of guitars, and lots and lots of drums and shakers, and vibraphones, and a massive harp.

EDIT: I would have an SPL van though, but just for the hobby of it, not really for music.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 48
I prefer the ease of detail retrieval and the only audible bass. I listen at very low volume, and speakers don't gain much merit over headphones at low volume.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 48

Quote:
Nope. Speakers. Electrostat speakers.

My main system has full range electrostatic speakers and without doubt is my preferred choice for serious listening sessions.  But, I still need both headphones and IEM's for both short and, especially, long road trips.  Late, late night sessions too.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 48
I haven't heard much high end but I have heard the LCD 2. Compared to the Magnepan 12 it.. damn man, it wasn't even a comparison. If space and money wasn't an issue I'd go with speakers, based on those two anyway.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 48
Yes, simply because it is a different experience.  Obviously you can't beat a good speaker system, but there is something I really dig about the headphone experience.  What I love the most is traveling, mostly to a different country, staying under unfamiliar sky/ceiling and just chilling to my favorite tunes.  Even music I have heard more times than I care to count, it always sounds different and sets up a different mood that I just cannot get from comfortable surroundings.  And to me music is more about the experience than the fidelity.  Not only are the headphones portable but they are more personal.

Though I am different and think completely different than most people :)

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #12 of 48
I'd have both. OP forgot about those of us who use headphones as a portable solution. What am I gonna do as I walk to class? Not listen to music? Pff

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 48
Of course you need the portability. BUT theres no restrictions >:D. I will have a giant segway, with a cylinder around it, and the best speakers on the planet all in that cylinder. I stand in the middle with full surround sound. I press a button and some speakers slide out when I need to walk out.  Also, I press another button and the whole thing expands, and a bed pops up at the bottom. When it expands even more speakers come out, and  a 65 inch tv WITH PS3 and XBOX360.  I have no clue how they would have the tech to do that :p BUT that would be my house, with no restrictions :p

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #15 of 48

Quote:
I'd have both. OP forgot about those of us who use headphones as a portable solution. What am I gonna do as I walk to class? Not listen to music? Pff

Of course you have headphones while on the move, HENCE i said there is a place for them.  My post is about in a home environment. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back