If you still love Etymotic ER4, this is the thread for you...
Oct 1, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #18,181 of 19,276
Came here to find out if these clear new triple-flange tips I received were fakes, and unfortunately it seems they are not. Are there/can there be plans to continue selling the previous frosted tips?

These new clear triple flange fit differently, they are no longer capable of sealing as well in the canal despite sliding in even deeper, they break seal continuously with head movements, and don't sound as good as the old tips due to this weaker seal, all while being substantially less comfortable and almost too sharp against my ear canals; the old frosted tips started out stiff but the material rapidly broke in to become pliable and comfortable for a long period until they wore out, these new ones just get an even worse seal as they wear in and the edges still feel sharper. They are atrocious enough that I thought I had received fakes, and even if they are the same material as the dual-flange they don't feel like it, being harder and sharper without the softness of the thicker dual-flange.

Rather unhappy to have received these when I ordered frosted tips, they are unusable and have forced me to move entirely to the dual-flange tips which have their own issues with the soft material creating a seal that's almost too strong to safely break without a lot of wiggling.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #18,183 of 19,276
Well.. yes and no :) if you want more subbass or more air over 16k, then the only way to go is multi driver.
The ER4SR/XR is 10Hz ~ 18.5KHz. The ER4XR sounds better than any Single DD/Multi BA I've owned you can get 6db sub bass slope by doing 3.5db shelf EQ. Hell I've a 11KHz 3db high shelf for air but I had cut the 7KHz by 0.4db to get clean 4db boost.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #18,184 of 19,276
The ER4SR/XR is 10Hz ~ 18.5KHz. The ER4XR sounds better than any Single DD/Multi BA I've owned you can get 6db sub bass slope by doing 3.5db shelf EQ. Hell I've a 11KHz 3db high shelf for air but I had cut the 7KHz by 0.4db to get clean 4db boost.
Just for fun, - mind posting your EQ settings when Q values and all :) ??

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #18,185 of 19,276
I’m doing this. It’s just barely noticeable. ER4SR.
E9A0B6B4-4D0C-4BD7-8B10-794B4845A94B.jpeg

According to graphs I’ve seen. The SR is down about 2-3Db at 20hz, so this levels it off. Not really boosting above IEF neutral though.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #18,186 of 19,276
... Well... What makes Etymotics special is that they are neutral IEMs. There ain't really many truely neutral IEMs out there.

My best guess would be the Blessings 2...
You were right @Opalius , and many many thanks for recommending me the Blessing 2! They really sound impressive, have many similarities with the ER4XR but also differs in some aspects. First of all the soundstage that B2 offers is outstanding, big and wide. The B2 have more bass impact and the treble is more extended. But vocals are very similar, natural and close. What is uniqe in ER4XR is this spheric 3D presentation and warm, natural timbre. But yes, if someone like me have serious comfort issues with the ER4XR he/she should pick up the Blessing 2 and be happy too 🙂

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Blessing_2,ER4XR

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 4:13 AM Post #18,187 of 19,276
You were right @Opalius , and many many thanks for recommending me the Blessing 2! They really sound impressive, have many similarities with the ER4XR but also differs in some aspects. First of all the soundstage that B2 offers is outstanding, big and wide. The B2 have more bass impact and the treble is more extended. But vocals are very similar, natural and close. What is uniqe in ER4XR is this spheric 3D presentation and warm, natural timbre. But yes, if someone like me have serious comfort issues with the ER4XR he/she should pick up the Blessing 2 and be happy too 🙂

https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/graphtool/?share=IEF_Neutral_Target,Blessing_2,ER4XR
Happy that I could help :) Chears!

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #18,188 of 19,276
Just for fun, - mind posting your EQ settings when Q values and all :) ??
Bass = 4db - 105Hz - Q 0.7 Low shelf

mids = -1.9db - 1.6KHz - Q1.9 peak

Treble = 3.8db - 6KHz - Q 0.7 High shelf

Went with a 6KHz high shelf as It fixes the 7KHz dip & gives more air as doing them as peak boosts sounds odd. Hard to do 6 ~ 8db 85Hz Low shelf as I'm using a ER3SE with 75ohm adaptor as my amp hisses. But I really love how my E10K + JDS Atom+ is noise free. To be honest I think the ER3/ER4 hit harder sub bass wise than the ER2 with full seal, They can legit rattle your whole head & lower torso.

Yes my EQ turns the ER4SR into a warm & mild ER4B.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #18,190 of 19,276
I can’t get over how much I’m enjoying my ER4SR. I had been out of the wired IEM game for a while and I don’t know why. I should have gotten these a while ago. These kind of remind me of my old Q701, but it’s been a while since I used them as they need new pads.

Listening to the album Toxicity by System of a Down currently.
I took advantage of the Woot sale that was posted here earlier. $140 was hard to pass up. Can't wait to hear some SOAD out of them.

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #18,191 of 19,276
Experimenting with this 23D99181-831E-4A10-9C73-6511597130ED.jpeg
I’m not sure how Etys own target varies from IEF neutral. This makes the bass completely flat out to 20hz, and fills in the 6-8khz area a little. I don’t trust Crins graph after 10khz, and I’ve seen other graphs that show the response after 10khz looking much different, so I’m not messing with anything after 10khz. All the graphs I’ve seen show a very slow bass roll off and a dip in the 6-8k area though.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #18,192 of 19,276
How do knowles BA filters fit in the ER4? How do you remove them? From what I understand you can unscrew the stock etymotic filters out, however the knowles filters are a bit different.
I also concern about this one, I also want to buy some knowles filters for experiment for my er4s, but removing them without unscrew (destroying) looks like impossible or we just insert it not fully inside?

Oct 6, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #18,195 of 19,276
it's slightly stiffer than the stock cable - definitely not super stiff. I was able to comfortably coil it (I don't know how to measure cable softness)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back