If you had to recommend only one album?
Jul 10, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #62 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
Macire by Boubacar Traore

African relative of the acoustic blues. I never get tired of this album. Read the reviews at Amazon.

Thanks for the recommendation. I read the reviews, decided to take a chance and ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the heads-up...

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:09 PM Post #63 of 146
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #65 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
Thanks for the recommendation. I read the reviews, decided to take a chance and ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the heads-up...

You are most welcome. Let us know what you think.

Jul 12, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #66 of 146
Bill Evans Complete Riverside Recordings.
Is that cheating?

evansb018.jpg

[size=xx-small]Disc 1: I Love You, Five, Conception, Easy Living, Displacement, Speak Low, Our Delight; No Cover, No Minimum (Take 1--alternate); No Cover, No Minimum (Take 2--originally issued); I've Got It Bad (And That Ain't Good), Waltz for Debby, My Romance, Minority, Young and Foolish, Night and Day, Oleo

Disc 2: Tenderly, What Is There to Say?, Peace Piece, Lucky to Be Me, Some Other Time, Epilogue, You and the Night and the Music, How Am I to Know?, Woody'n You (Takes 1 and 2), My Heart Stood Still, On Green Dolphin Street, Peri's Scope, Witchcraft

Disc 3: Spring Is Here, What is This Thing Called Love?, Come Rain or Come Shine, Blue in Green (Take 2)*, Blue in Green (Take 3--originally issued), Autumn Leaves (mono), Autumn Leaves (stereo), Some Day My Prince Will Come, When I Fall in Love, Elsa, Sweet and Lovely, Beautiful Love (Take 1)*, Beautiful Love (Take 2--originally issued)

Disc 4: I Wish I Knew, The Boy Next Door, Haunted Heart, Nardis, How Deep Is the Ocean?, Israel, Who Cares? (Take 4)*, Who Cares? (Take 5--originally issued), Goodbye, Nancy (With the Laughing Face), Toy, Elsa, Waltz for Debby, Venice

Disc 5: Know What I Mean? (Take 12--alternate), Know What I Mean? (Take re-7‡--originally issued), Alice in Wonderland (Take 1--alternate), My Foolish Heart, All of You (Take 1)*, My Romance (Take 1--originally issued), Some Other Time, Solar, Gloria's Step (Take 2--originally issued), My Man's Gone Now

Disc 6: All of You (Take 2--originally issued), Detour Ahead (Take 1--alternate), Waltz for Debby (Take 1--alternate), Alice in Wonderland (Take 2--originally issued), (I Loves You) Porgy, My Romance (Take 2--alternate), Milestones, Detour Ahead (Take 2--originally issued), Gloria's Step (Take 3--alternate)

Disc 7: Waltz for Debby (Take 2--originally issued), All of You (Take 3--alternate), Jade Visions (Take 1--alternate), Jade Visions (Take 2--originally issued), ...a few final bars, Danny Boy, Like Someone in Love, In Your Own Sweet Way, Easy to Love, How My Heart Sings, Summertime, If You Could See Me Now, Walking Up

Disc 8: Very Early, Show-Type Tune, Re: Person I Knew, 34 Skidoo, Polka Dots and Moonbeams, I Should Care, I Fall in Love Too Easily, Ev'rything I Love, In Love in Vain, Stairway to the Stars, In Your Own Sweet Way (Take 1--originally issued), In Your Own Sweet Way (Take 2)*, It Might as Well Be Spring

Disc 9: Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams, When You Wish Upon a Star, You Go to My Head, You and the Night and the Music, Interplay, I'll Never Smile Again (Take re-6‡), I'll Never Smile Again (Take re-7‡--originally issued), Loose Bloose (Take 3), Loose Bloose (Takes 2 and 4), Fudgesickle Built for Four, Time Remembered

Disc 10: Funkallero, My Bells, There Came You, Fun Ride, What Kind of Fool Am I? (Take 1)*, Medley (My Favorite Things/Easy to Love/Baubles, Bangles and Beads/When I Fall in Love)*, Medley ('Spartacus' Love Theme/Nardis)*, Everything Happens to Me*, April in Paris*

Disc 11: All the Things You Are*, Santa Claus Is Coming to Town*, (I Loves You) Porgy*, What Kind of Fool Am I? (Take 2)*, Love Is Here to Stay*, Ornithology*, Medley (Autumn in New York/How About You?)*, All the Things You Are*, Lover Man, Love Is Here to Stay, Stella by Starlight

Disc 12: 'Round Midnight, Who Cares?, The Boy Next Door, Isn't It Romantic?, What Is This Thing Called Love?, How About You?, Blues in F/Five, Everything Happens to Me, In a Sentimental Mood, My Heart Stood Still, Time Remembered, Wonder Why, Swedish Pastry[/size]

Jul 12, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #68 of 146
Nine Inch Nails- The Fragile

Vynil version of course! <two extra tracks

This is an easy one for me, Trent Reznors masterpiece is still revealing things to me after playing it so many times I can't remember.

Jul 13, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #71 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey

Hey, ya gonna pick up the new British Sea Power? Have you heard their first one from a couple year s ago called The Decline of British Sea Power? Really good one. Made a couple posts about it here but don't know how popular they are at Head-Fi. I sent out a "mystery disc" to a bunch of people on that other board when the first one came out because I liked it so much. Kind of hit or miss, but it went over pretty well with some. Fun band. Kind of a harder rocking version of Arcade Fire with some of the same Bowie influence, but mixed with more Joy Division and Pixies.

I've got both of the british sea powers, and they are completely different! The new one is very "popp" to say the least. Its happy sounding and a little laid back, but its very nicely textured and the best way to say it is that the songs sound more linear, less aggressive, and simply its more towards being accessible. I know that sounds like a bad thing, but it is good in its own right. I still prefer the decline, i just dig that sound much more.

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #73 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar

I was thinking..something like the Pogues' IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD. There's an album that's truely a treasure, and should be appreciated by anyone with a musical soul. I really has it all.. great playing, attitude, heart tugging lyrics and a really fine recording to boot. That's my suggestion.

-jar

Just picked this up a couple of hours ago, listening to it right now, wow, this is probably one of the most unique yet accessible sounds ive ever listened to! its like irish punk rock, its totally cool, but they are great musicians and it really does rock out, and the recording is very well done. I would have never picked this up, thanks for the reco.

Oh yeah, i picked up talking heads remain in light as well, i have never really checked them out so i guess this is a good start, yes?

Aug 9, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #75 of 146
RadioHead : OK Computer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back