If you had to recommend only one album?
Apr 5, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #32 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
"Remain In Light" - Talking Heads...great guitar, great lyrics, great beat, not a bad song on the album

Hey Doug, can't disagree since it is a classic and I love it (and I don't mean to single you out since other people also selected classics too) but isn't it kind of a missed opportunity to post an album most people have probably heard before? Just seems more fun to try and come up with some hidden or overlooked gem that maybe most people missed. I'm sure we all have a bunch of them that we love but that seem like no one else has ever heard of. Don't we? Just curious .....

eggosmile.gif

Apr 5, 2005 at 10:52 PM Post #33 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Eric Clapton - Live!

Medeski Martin and Wood - Last Chance to Dance Trance...Perhaps

Metallica - S&M / Black

uhhh... thats three

Anyways, I asked my Wife and she said Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights.

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #34 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Hey Doug, can't disagree since it is a classic and I love it (and I don't mean to single you out since other people also selected classics too) but isn't it kind of a missed opportunity to post an album most people have probably heard before? Just seems more fun to try and come up with some hidden or overlooked gem that maybe most people missed. I'm sure we all have a bunch of them that we love but that seem like no one else has ever heard of. Don't we? Just curious .....

eggosmile.gif

opps, something happened there...see below

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #35 of 146
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

Hey Davey,
Nice to know that you're around. You definitely have a point. I guess that I was thinking something like one man's classic is another man's new discovery. I would never have "discovered" "Electr-o-pura" or "spiderland" if not for your recommendations. To you they are "classics" [I think...] to me they were "new." In any case, the thought of somebody that has never heard "Remain In Light" listening to it for the first time on my recommendation is a pleasant thought! Maybe passing the torch to a newbie...

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #36 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
I guess that I was thinking something like one man's classic is another man's new discovery.

Yeah, you're right too. Sometimes I forget that not everyone grew up with all that classic rock and haven't heard some of them a million times already. In fact, on many boards you could probably say the same about the "classics" from the bands you mentioned, Yo La Tengo and Slint, and get the same reaction I posted, so it's all relative
wink.gif

Hey, ya gonna pick up the new British Sea Power? Have you heard their first one from a couple year s ago called The Decline of British Sea Power? Really good one. Made a couple posts about it here but don't know how popular they are at Head-Fi. I sent out a "mystery disc" to a bunch of people on that other board when the first one came out because I liked it so much. Kind of hit or miss, but it went over pretty well with some. Fun band. Kind of a harder rocking version of Arcade Fire with some of the same Bowie influence, but mixed with more Joy Division and Pixies.

Apr 5, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #37 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by A320Driver
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

What he said, preferably by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra...

But if he or she does not like classical (
confused.gif
), then I would recommend:

Pink Floyd -- Dark Side Of The Moon
Led Zeppelin -- House Of The Holy
Talking Heads -- Stop Making Sense
Hank Williams Junior -- Montana Cafe
Norah Jones -- Come Away With Me
The Beatles -- Abbey Road
The Who -- Tommy
Yes -- Fragile

If I can only recommend one album to someone, it will be a quintessential one...

Those are the ones that come to mind as of now...

BANGPOD

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:18 PM Post #39 of 146
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

I agree Davey Dave.. I was trying to think of an "overlooked gem" that a lot of people would enjoy, but might have missed. I can easily think of dozens of my favorite gems that would have very limited appeal.. what's the use of suggesting everyone listen to, say, oh I don't know.. Jesus Lizard's GOAT or Skinny Puppy's TOO DARK PARK.. cuz, most people just aren't going to dig them.. even suggesting a Mercury Rev album, while yea, I'm sure there are people out there who would dig them that haven't heard them yet, there's more people out there who just aren't going to get them.. and would probably turn around and sell it..

I was thinking..something like the Pogues' IF I SHOULD FALL FROM GRACE WITH GOD. There's an album that's truely a treasure, and should be appreciated by anyone with a musical soul. I really has it all.. great playing, attitude, heart tugging lyrics and a really fine recording to boot. That's my suggestion.

-jar

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 146
Since I'm only allowed one choice, I can only recommend MY favorite:

Blackwater Park - Opeth

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #42 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
I agree Davey Dave.. I was trying to think of an "overlooked gem" that a lot of people would enjoy, but might have missed.

Yeah, the thing is we're not a bunch of "normal" people here. Most of us have probably heard all the big highly acclaimed classics over the years. It would be different if the question was something like, "What would you recommend to my cubie mate at work who thinks Limp Bizkit is cutting edge music?", or something like that. Or maybe that was the intent. I'd still probably try and pull something off the wall
wink.gif

Like.....The Wedding Present Seamonsters

What a great CD! Another of my many finds as a direct result of talking to people at music sites on the internet like this. Might have even been you Jar who was responsible for recommending this one to me. You've definitely led me in the right direction on numerous occasions. Nothing beats getting a recommendation from someone who has lived with an album for a few years and still loves it. This is definitely one of Steve Albini's best jobs (if not the best) as producer or engineer or whatever he called himself back in the early 90s. It's got the loud and powerful sound throughout, but full of subtelty as well. Building emotions that finally find release. The drum sound that drives many of the songs is just so immense and powerful and sensual. Yeah, I guess I'm kinda in love with this album. Close to a 10 on Davey's completely unbiased and highly rational rating scale. One of those CDs that you can probably recommend to just about anybody who likes rock music, I think? Well, maybe not. Any other opinions on that? I haven't heard the recent remaster since my copy is the US Manifesto Records issue dated 1992, although I do seem to recall reading someplace that it was kinda bright sounding? Wouldn't mind hearing a comparison myself but wouldn't wanna buy a new copy just for that. Still haven't picked up Bizarro yet ... but it's still on my list
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #43 of 146
Quote:

Yeah, the thing is we're not a bunch of "normal" people here. Most of us have probably heard all the big highly acclaimed classics over the years. It would be different if the question was something like, "What would you recommend to my cubie mate at work who thinks Limp Bizkit is cutting edge music?", or something like that. Or maybe that was the intent. I'd still probably try and pull something off the wall
wink.gif

Like.....The Wedding Present Seamonsters

What a great CD! Another of my many finds as a direct result of talking to people at music sites on the internet like this. Might have even been you Jar who was responsible for recommending this one to me. You've definitely led me in the right direction on numerous occasions. Nothing beats getting a recommendation from someone who has lived with an album for a few years and still loves it. This is definitely one of Steve Albini's best jobs (if not the best) as producer or engineer or whatever he called himself back in the early 90s. It's got the loud and powerful sound throughout, but full of subtelty as well. Building emotions that finally find release. The drum sound that drives many of the songs is just so immense and powerful and sensual. Yeah, I guess I'm kinda in love with this album. Close to a 10 on Davey's completely unbiased and highly rational rating scale. One of those CDs that you can probably recommend to just about anybody who likes rock music, I think? Well, maybe not. Any other opinions on that? I haven't heard the recent remaster since my copy is the US Manifesto Records issue dated 1992, although I do seem to recall reading someplace that it was kinda bright sounding? Wouldn't mind hearing a comparison myself but wouldn't wanna buy a new copy just for that. Still haven't picked up Bizarro yet ... but it's still on my list
smily_headphones1.gif

That's funny because SEAMONSTERS really did cross my mind when I was thinking of albums... esp. because that's really from my "main" era of music, the early 90's.. probably everyone who is going to hear LOVELESS or SPIDERLAND has heard it by now.. SEAMONSTERS is one of those that's buried a little deeper, but is really a classic.. Another one I almost posted on from those years is CHROME by the Catherine Wheel. What an awesome cross-pollination of shoegazing texturalism and grungy power chord rock.. again, an album that would really appeal to a pretty wide range of folks if you ask me.

-jar

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #44 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar
That's funny because SEAMONSTERS really did cross my mind when I was thinking of albums... esp. because that's really from my "main" era of music, the early 90's.. probably everyone who is going to hear LOVELESS or SPIDERLAND has heard it by now.. SEAMONSTERS is one of those that's buried a little deeper, but is really a classic.. Another one I almost posted on from those years is CHROME by the Catherine Wheel. What an awesome cross-pollination of shoegazing texturalism and grungy power chord rock.. again, an album that would really appeal to a pretty wide range of folks if you ask me.

-jar

Yeah, I thought of Chrome too but figured it would be pretty well known with all the shoegazers here. But it does provide a strong connection between the Jesus & Mary Chain sound and Pink Floyd. At least to me. That "Fripp" song has always sounded almost just like Waters PF to me, and then when they later put out that odds and ends thing with their faithful cover of "Wish You Were Here", that cemented it.

Hey, speaking of Slint, is the new lineup the same as old? I only know Dave Pajo is back, but haven't read much about it yet. Are they gonna do an album or just tour?

Apr 6, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #45 of 146
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
Neutral milk hotel - In the aeroplane over the sea.

Not my personal favorate album, but is definately needs to be heard. Pitchfork's decision of including this in the top 5 albums of the 90's is one of the few reviews i actually agree with.

And i dunno if i'd compare ratatat to mozart (I don't think i'm pretentious enough to compare anyone i listen to to mozart), but it's good, fun pop music

I was going to say this album! I really love this album, but some people don't responds as strongly. A friend of mine doesn't like the singer's voice. But you nailed it, ebonyks, when you said it definitely needs to be heard. It's just a very off-beat, original emotional/musical trip. Works as a whole for me organically and as a piece of art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back