If you had to choose
Dec 5, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Wid

500+ Head-Fier
I am considering these two iems, the problem is I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. They are the Altec Lansing im716 and the Etymotic Research ER6i. I want them to be able to isolate really well for use outside use ( doing yard work and such ) plus sound great. My favorite hps are my Grados, will either one of these give me a sound equal to the Sr 60s ? I mainly listen to Rock, Blues and classic rock.

Any other suggestion are also welcome but need to be within the same dollor amount of the other two. I already have the Ue SuperFi 3s, while I like them I find them a bit laid back for most music.

Dec 5, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 6
I have 2 pairs of iM716, and also Ety er-6i. My preference is iM716 with the pod removed (improves both sound quality and efficiency)......then you combine this with a Xin Supermini (w/solidtube opamp [8656]) - then you will VERY happily surprised.
In terms of iso. -it is really NOT dependent on the device, but on the tips (and fit of those tips). Don't believe in any manufacturers' stats.. Real isolation comes down to using foamies, and the more the foam is compressed (total density) = more isolation. It is that simple........But, do you mean isolating others from your music...or......isolation from the outside world?

Dec 5, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 6
I really like my Westone UM1, but they're $110, a bit more than the current going prices on the 2 you listed. Haven't heard the im716, but the er6i is reported to be really cold, bright, and analytical.

UM1 are fine for me, decently bassy just like my 225s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back