If you had $400 or less to spend on a quality, non-portable, desktop amp for driving Senns HD650s...
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CompressionalFlagellation

100+ Head-Fier
what would it be?

From what I understand, one of the best options out there is the Darkvoice THA332 -- but what other solid choices are there?

And would the favored amps be a lot different for a person listening Bach and Miles Davis, compared to say, someone else listening to Tool and Radiohead?

I need someone to be multiple versions of myself from the future, all with different amps -- and tell me what I should have bought now, before I purchase it later. Do we have any quantum, multi-dimensional, merkaba traveling sadhus in the house, by chance?
ph34r.gif

~the flage

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 19
I meant solid as in "good."

But yeah, solid state or tube -- if it's good for the HD650s, bring it on. Since I have no real opportunity to audition amps, I'm relying on you guys to make my mind up. I'd hate to think of myself as some kind of sheep, but in this case, "bah-ah-ah-ah."

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #4 of 19
I see in your signature that you don't have a dedicated DAC either.

You may want to watch the Compass thread for Peete and Currawong to write their impressions of how the HD600 and HD650 sound with it.

You'll get yourself a DAC and AMP for a mere 300 USD including shipping.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #6 of 19
Yes, the M^3 is very good if you'd consider building, buying a built one or possibly commissioning one. Others to consider are the Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS. The EC/SS might be a few dollars over your budget, but it is a terrific amp for the money.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #7 of 19
What about the Little Dot MK III? That would give you a little spending money left over to have fun with tube rolling.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the M^3 is very good if you'd consider building, buying a built one or possibly commissioning one. Others to consider are the Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS. The EC/SS might be a few dollars over your budget, but it is a terrific amp for the money.

what is that M^3?

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Others to consider are the Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS. The EC/SS might be a few dollars over your budget, but it is a terrific amp for the money.

Ooo, EC/SS...hmmm, vedy inte-dest-ting. Perhaps I could forgo eating out a few days...

How would this compare to a tube amp of around the same price? Wait, you probably don't know this -- considering you're a n00b... I mean come on, you only have about 10,000 posts.

Hehe, thanks for the suggestion...I will look into this for sure.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would it be?

From what I understand, one of the best options out there is the Darkvoice THA332 -- but what other solid choices are there?

And would the favored amps be a lot different for a person listening Bach and Miles Davis, compared to say, someone else listening to Tool and Radiohead?

I need someone to be multiple versions of myself from the future, all with different amps -- and tell me what I should have bought now, before I purchase it later. Do we have any quantum, multi-dimensional, merkaba traveling sadhus in the house, by chance?
ph34r.gif

~the flage

I WANT TO ASK THE SAME QUESTION

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CompressionalFlagellation /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes the three of us... you, him, and I.

probably i will go with NOVO if buy new

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 19
x3 for the m^3. It will drive a huge range of headphones. I think that you can get one from Rockhopper Audio for about $400, and somewhat cheaper if you build them. There are a couple of other pro builders, like MisterX, who are recommended on AMB's site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back