If you had $1500 to spend, what would you buy?
Dec 23, 2016 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Earbones

500+ Head-Fier
I have this amount aside for something new. I've owned the LCD2, which I loved, but it was heavy. Ditto the HE500. Had the HD800, but just a little too bright for me. Currently own the HD650 (for the second time) and they are fantastic... But thinking it's time to get something just lttle bit more... More.

Looking for a single pair of cans only. Not looking for an open/closed combo or dac/amp pairings.

Open, closed, dynamic, planar. Anything goes.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 18
Ok, I will bite. Focal Elear. Solid all around. Audioquest nighthawks for something different to round out your 'collection'. Neither are heavy. You are in no mans land with your budget. That is why I put two. LCD-X are too heavy for you.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 18
LCD-X with the carbon fiber headband (makes a world of difference for the weight distribution bit it is still heavy). This is probably closest to LCD-2 since it still had the Audeze first sound

Focal Elear as previously mentioned.

Ether flow are super comfortable

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 18
Z1R if its on sale for 1499.99
biggrin.gif
(im assuming US $)

-Canadian

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 18
If you like the HD650 sound...grab a used , but good condition pair of ZMF Ori and call it a day and save the rest of your money....It is an HD650 on steroids.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 18
You can get the Koss 950 for $700 or so on Amazon and other retailers. It retails for $1K but price usually drops around the holidays. Detailed electrostatic sound without being fatiguing in the least. It's actually very smooth and the mid-range is phenomenal. Only caveat is build quality as it feels like a toy headphone. It's light and comfortable and comes with a lifetime warranty though. I don't have it anymore but miss it.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #9 of 18
You can get the Koss 950 for $700 or so on Amazon and other retailers. It retails for $1K but price usually drops around the holidays. Detailed electrostatic sound without being fatiguing in the least. It's actually very smooth and the mid-range is phenomenal. Only caveat is build quality as it feels like a toy headphone. It's light and comfortable and comes with a lifetime warranty though. I don't have it anymore but miss it.

Though i've read so many good things about them and that fantastic KOSS warranty, many had concerns with some sort of humming/buzzing at 0 volume. Did you experience this. I was intrigued at one point as many well seasoned audio veterans love the sound of this, but also pointed out the flimsy build quality (which would survive if one was delicate, as one should be anyway with high end headphones) but one thing i know is i cannot take any hissing like that of ANC

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #10 of 18
I didn't have those issues. I know people had a problem with squealing noise but only after many years of use. Guess it's hit or miss but many would be surprised at how great the 950 sounds. Imagine if Koss really put some effort in design and build. It's weird though. The 950 is so light and delicate feeling but it still seems like it can take a beating.

I agree with your earlier post about the Z1R if it was within $1,500. I got one for close to that price and it's a beautiful and incredible sounding headphone.

Dec 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 18

If you like the HD650 sound...grab a used , but good condition pair of ZMF Ori and call it a day and save the rest of your money....It is an HD650 on steroids.

Why used? Do you like them but think they're not quite worth the money new?

I think they are worth the money new....it was just because I saw a couple listed in the B/s/T forum and one of them was only a month old....of course if you buy new you can pick the wood that you prefer

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 18
I think they are worth the money new....it was just because I saw a couple listed in the B/s/T forum and one of them was only a month old....of course if you buy new you can pick the wood that you prefer
Cool. Yeah, the idea of building my own, picking the materials etc appeals... plus I'm kind of a germaphobe ha ha. Good to know you think they're worth it... on the short list with the Focals...

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #14 of 18
The Z1R has had me excited since it dropped, but I've yet to see one under USD $2k anywhere...

Another idea is the new HD800 S. The previous HD800 was only a touch too bright for me, and I felt the low-end extension and impact were lacking for a can at its price point... Apparently the S has addressed that. Whether the bass is in the league of the Elear, TH900, or LCD2/LCD3, I'm unsure of. If it is, I'd definitely consider them. Finding a pair for $1500 is easy... anyone compared them to the Elear, TH900, etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back