If you don't own Dream Theater's "Awake", do yourself a favor and go buy it now.
Jun 30, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #17 of 41
Dream Theater is a really good prog metal band, excellent talent, but IMO Symphony X demolishes them and is the king of prog metal, the raw distortion, whole-tone scales, everything about them IMO triumphs. I gotta say though that the drummers are both insane, I can't compare them..

Jun 30, 2006 at 10:47 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by RadioheadJunkie
My favorite Dream Theater has to be "Images and Words".

That's the only one that I don't have, guess I need to get it.

DT is great...Portnoy is amazing.

Jul 1, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShaftedTwice
They may be overrated, but they are still good.

true, they are certainly great at what they do, but some people talk about them like they are the second coming of christ or something.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
That's the only one that I don't have, guess I need to get it.

DT is great...Portnoy is amazing.

You mean to tell me that you have other DT's cd's and you don't have "Images & Words" ????

I'm shocked!!!
wink.gif

They put on a great concert too, I've seen them a couple of times.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
He and Petrucci are supremely overrated.

Personally, I don't think JP is overrated. He is a supremely great guitar player.

Portnoy, on the other hand, is overrated beyond all reason.

Jul 1, 2006 at 5:55 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I'm with you on this. Im sure the muscianship and production are excellent but I just cant get into those vocals.

That's my probelm too. I just can't take the singing. The music is great at times and filled witht the usual hypertechnical musicianship found in progressive music, however, overall they just don't hit a chord with me.

Jul 1, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
That's my probelm too. I just can't take the singing. The music is great at times and filled witht the usual hypertechnical musicianship found in progressive music, however, overall they just don't hit a chord with me.

The cheezy vocals takes it away for me too. The only DT album I really like is Train of Thought.

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
The cheezy vocals takes it away for me too. The only DT album I really like is Train of Thought.

Train of Thought is a great album. I don't mind the DT vocals at all, but I don't like growly/death vocals, and some people do. It is called taste after all
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #28 of 41
I'm just listening to it for a first time. It's quite nice but Images and Words and Train of Thought are better ATM. But it's just a first listening going on so things might change.

Jul 2, 2006 at 10:50 AM Post #29 of 41
Can't really take the singing on some tracks in Awake. I like it when the singing is like Finally Free in Scenes From A Memory.

Jul 3, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Wolverine, GREAT Music (especially the drumming), but the vocals .. !!>_<!!

Since it seems you enjoy music that is almost polar opposite to the music I enjoy, I took that comment as a recommendation.

I just scored Wolverine 'Cold Light Of Monday' and 'Window Purpose'. WOW what a great band, and what a great couple of albums! For the record, I think the vocals are pretty damn amazing.

Are there any other highly talented prog-like bands bands that you don't like, so I can check them out as well?!?
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back