If you don't own Dream Theater's "Awake", do yourself a favor and go buy it now.
Jun 30, 2006 at 12:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
I've listened to Octavarium and Scenes From A Memory, and this is BY FAR the best sounding album I've listened to by them. I really like how this album sounds. Do any of Dream Theater's albums get better than this?

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 41
Yes, I tried out some Dream Theater once upon a time and Awake was the better album that I bought, I only really really liked the first track 6:00, otherwise the vocals were just too much for me (on the other tracks).

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 41
And after it, go an buy the rest please!!!!....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #8 of 41
Dream Theater is so taxing on the gear, after every upgrade I'm listening to Scenes From A Memory for the first time
580smile.gif

It's really hard to judge SQ w/o top-notch gear IMO...better yet - hear 'em live

Jun 30, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Yes, I tried out some Dream Theater once upon a time and Awake was the better album that I bought, I only really really liked the first track 6:00, otherwise the vocals were just too much for me (on the other tracks).

Talk about open soundstage.. OMG
basshead.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by I3eyond
Talk about open soundstage.. OMG
basshead.gif

Tracks 9 and 6 are my favs. Love Petriccis Ibanez acoustic tones on 6 (you guys gotta hear this on an RS1 or K701). Track 9 intro sounds incredible!! I plan on giving this disc a lot of use at the SJ national meet in Apr.

If I had one complaint, its that sometimes James' vocals are a little sibilant sometimes... but thats kind of how he sings.

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #12 of 41
I know I just don't like that style of vocals, which is why I am put off from alot of Prog & Power metal bands -_-

Wolverine, GREAT Music (especially the drumming), but the vocals .. !!>_<!!

Jun 30, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #13 of 41
Heh, Garrett we need to run some serious DT on my rig some time soon and see whatcha think ;D

Anyhow, as far as DT's albums go, I'm not sure which is my favourite between IW and Awake, maybe give the nod to IW and then Awake but it's close. Follow that with SFAM I think. Although I just really adore some of the parts of SFAM so much. Then again, I also adore Metropolis Pt. 1 ;D

Jun 30, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
I know I just don't like that style of vocals, which is why I am put off from alot of Prog & Power metal bands -_-

Wolverine, GREAT Music (especially the drumming), but the vocals .. !!>_<!!

I'm with you on this. Im sure the muscianship and production are excellent but I just cant get into those vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back