If you could design an ultimate DAP...
Aug 8, 2008 at 2:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

timb5881

1000+ Head-Fier
What would you like it to be like? I think I would like it to be solid state drive, at least 100Gb memory, a line and digital out, of course an audiophile grade amp. I also would alow it to have an external battery back in addition to the rechargable built in one, for more current and longer listening sessions.
I like the touch features of the Apple Touch, especially the WiFi capabilities, so I would add that. I would like it in 2 sizes, a larger one for video and WiFi capabilities, and a much smaller, lighter shirt pocket sized one for audio only (of course no Touch or video screen at this size, just a small screen for play back info). Add in the ability to drive many headphones and I think I would be set!

Aug 8, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 21
Ok, here are some things I would like to see, some are possible now, some are fantasies:

optical/line in and out, drag n drop facility, ability to play all codecs out there, not bothered about hdd or flash based but a terrabyte of storage would be good, excellent recording abilities and excellent playback abilities, rockbox of course, radio and movie playback with a 5" screen for horizontal movie playback all wrapped up in something roughly the size of a classic but perhaps a touch lighter.

Aug 8, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 21
1) Wolfson DAC and no junk components to mess it up (eg iMod);

2) 6x 32GB NAND chips for 192GB of storage;

3) Rock Box installed and supported from the factory;

4) form factor as thin as a touch but more square and shorter/smaller for better pocketabilit;

5) Ultra-light magnesium chassis so no need for some case to add bulk in your pocket as the magnesium would be completely scratch resistant;

6) ultra-light, quartz crystal scratch proof display screen (like on a wrist watch);

7) LED backlit color touch screen display;

8) Lifetime warranty and free firmware upgrade support;

9) All AUDIO codecs supported;

10) High quality internal amp designed specifically for IEMs (So no hissing, no need for another amp when driving IEMs);

11) external switch to shut off the internal amp for when running with an attached amplifier;

12) Bundled, super high quality LOD cable specific to this unit in your choice of 3.5mm to 3.5mm or 3.5mm to RCA for connection to an external amplifier;

13) Mini USB female port for Peecee/Mac connection and charging (mini USB to USB cable + wall wart for both charging and connectivity);

Forget about WIFI or Video or FM Tuner and all that junk. This would be a pure audio player with no frills. Just superb construction and components and SQ/Soundstage.

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sansa Clip with 32Gb and 20 hour battery. That's all I want.

LOL. AWESOME IDEA. but i'd push it and sacrifice a little size for upgraded DAC/AMP, bigger capacity, and more battery life! perfect player!
trying to be a bit realistic here...

- FLASH (64gb+++)
- awesome DAC (comparable to desktops)
- powerful integrated amp with gain switch (for IEM, mid, full size headphones)
- decent screen size for file/playlist browsing and editting the GUI
- 40 hour battery life
- dock for optional line-out (but why is it needed with such a great amp? =D)
- support for all audio codecs
- scratch resistant case and screen
- drag & drop capability
- form factor should be mid-sized (like those cowon A2s)... trying to be real here =P

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 21
Flash player, long battery life, drag and drop, line out/line in, fairly lightweight and small, replaceable battery, integraded kickass amp

Aug 8, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 21
This thread seems very familiar.

Currently, push-pull output like the 1st generation iPod Shuffle. 2GB max internal capacity with HSDPA/UMTS wireless capabilities and software to make your remote library accessible by the player in real-time, so you basically have your whole music collection (even if it's in terabytes) in the palm of your hand with dynamic broadband access to your tunes, pulling them in and out of your library as needed (kind of like a spin-off from Slingbox). Form factor similar to the iRiver LPlayer.

Oh, and all that audiophile crap, too.

Aug 8, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 21
A72X w/64gb of storage, double the battery life, an FM radio tuner, & a 3" screen (it'd be a different player w/3" screen - the new A92X series perhaps?).

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #11 of 21
160GB + of Storage
Optional touch screen (Touch screen not necessary to navigate)
Wi-Fi
Support for all video codecs
Support for all audio codecs
Uses a mega light and simple version of iTunes to manage music.
Built in amp

Oh what would be really cool is if you can like put an IEM in and it has like a compartment for storing it and then you can like pull it out and then when you yank it again it quickly draws the cables in. Like those remote things on a plane if you get what I'm saying. There can be like a small clip to hold it in place when it is extended and then you wouldn't have a cable that is too long.

Damn I want to make this thing.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 21
  1. 250GB (minimum) solid state HD
  2. High quality internal DAC/Amp, sufficiently powerful to use 300 ohm headphones (eg the equivalent of a Corda 2Move or Predator)
  3. USB inputs and outputs - to add an external HD or connect to an external USB Dac or amp
  4. sufficient RAM and battery life to play lossless without affecting performance
  5. external battery pack
  6. folder library structure with drag and drop

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 21
OK ... Id call mine the Audio Jazz.

Landscape oriented
3.1" x 1.9" x 0.3 inch mp3 player
High Capacity Fusio Micro Rechargeable Lithium Battery detatchable and interchangeable comes with a charger and 2 battery's standard - estimate...60 hrs per battery
Charging dock with lineout included.
QVGA Screen taking up the whole body on one side. Touch screen..
Frequency Respone 5 Hz - 20,000 Hz
memory type - SD only
Lineout dock cableincluded.
Amp Included. something like an iqube oem...build to specs
OH AND ROCKBOX...so all the major codecs supported and a no nonsense interface.
Chipset :2 wolfston chips one for L and one for R..
standard usb

Id also release something called the Audio Jazz Mini 1.7 x 0.75 x 0.4 dedicated lin out player with micro sd, mirco lcd screen with a 3.5m mini connector pin on one end of the long body...designed to be plugged directly into a headphone amps linein

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #14 of 21
Let me see...
* Small size and form factor (like the 2nd. generation iPod nano).
* Touch screen.
* 64GB+ SSD memory.
* Built in WLAN.
* Built in BlueTooth.
* 24 hours+ playing time.
* Optical S/PDIF output.
* USB input and output.
* Drag and drop capability.
* Support for the most popular audio codecs (ALAC, FLAC, AAC, MP3, ...)
* Built in high quality amplifier (optional electrostatic amplifier).

Thats about it...
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 21
polished stainless steel case, small monochrome oled screen, 20+ battery life, flash mem, mpc (aka musepack) support, class d internal amp, no line out or any other features just straight music playback through fones, wifi capable with full acess to home collection to transfer wirelessly on the fly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back