If you could choose only one - L3000 or PS-1?
Oct 18, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #106 of 121
$4700 - yes, four thousand seven hundred dollars - for NOS Grado PS-1.
eek.gif

PS-1 Grado Headphones - eBay (item 260298734018 end time Oct-17-08 16:41:53 PDT)

Oct 18, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #107 of 121
Nov 10, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #110 of 121
balanced PS1 on the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

just received notification from drew at moon audio that my PS1s are ready to ship. so maybe this week i will have my PS1 balanced with black dragon and furutech rhodium plated XLRs. have never heard the PS1 balanced, so i am definitely excited. i thought they sounded very good single ended, but i know that balanced should take them up a notch. if the improvement is anything like the RS1 i think i will be quite happy.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #111 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
balanced PS1 on the way!
smily_headphones1.gif

just received notification from drew at moon audio that my PS1s are ready to ship. so maybe this week i will have my PS1 balanced with black dragon and furutech rhodium plated XLRs. have never heard the PS1 balanced, so i am definitely excited. i thought they sounded very good single ended, but i know that balanced should take them up a notch. if the improvement is anything like the RS1 i think i will be quite happy.

I hope you will get the L3000 one of these days. To me, they are a better headphones than the PS-1. Plus you still can get them for less than $3k if you can find them, which considering the build quality and comfort, a true bargain in comparison the PS-1 at the current price.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #112 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you will get the L3000 one of these days. To me, they are a better headphones than the PS-1. Plus you still can get them for less than $3k if you can find them, which considering the build quality and comfort, a true bargain in comparison the PS-1 at the current price.

I believe that he's already owned them. I would love to hear both, just a tad bit out of my reach though.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #113 of 121
yes. had a balanced L3000.

liked them very much. but when i needed funds to buy some other gear - a stat rig - i guess i found them to be expendable. they were excellent and my best dynamic headphone at the time, but they were not exceedingly better than my other headphones. so i parted with them.

who knows. in time, i may come to the same conclusion about the PS1.

Nov 10, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #114 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that he's already owned them. I would love to hear both, just a tad bit out of my reach though.

Yep, now I remember. Yeah, they are very very nice. Not the last words in anything in exception to bass and PRaT. Still the L3000s are a better bargains than current price of the PS-1. IMO, they are very similar sounding with the L3000 has slightly more controlled bass response.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #116 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone up for a chrome-plated PS1.

e6bf_12.JPG

think i prefer the aluminium enclosures, but these are as rare as they come - "one of a kind."

Very nice until they are scratched up!! Seem like Joe's collection of PS-1 has been growing non-stop!

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #118 of 121
got my balanced PS1s.
smily_headphones1.gif

the black dragon cable + furutechs look awesome. they both just exude high endness. the sound is very good. definitely a step up from single ended. much clearer sound, wider stage and more focused bass. are they 5x times better than my other grados. maybe not, but that is not how things work in this hobby.

i would say the bass on the PS1 is better than the L3000. the PS1 bass has more impact. the L3000 is smoother overall. maybe better overall tone - more natural. would definitely like to compare the two again.

edit: these things seriously rock. very engaging headphone. by comparison, the L3000 almost seems to be too smooth and refined to handle bass and rock as good as the PS1. i could imagine a PS1 (rock) and R10 (classical) being an almost unbeatable combo.

Nov 16, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #119 of 121
I was re-reading another thread and I came across this quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind, the ATH-L3000 drivers cost $100 or so for a pair when you could get the, whereas the L3000 itself cost in excess of $2000. Housing DOES matter.

Can anyone please clarify that for me? $100 for a pair of L3000 drivers? I find that hard to believe.

Nov 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #120 of 121
Believe it or not, when you could buy them they actually were that cheap. That's why you see a few L3000 creations around like the W100 with L3000 drivers and such. If I recall correctly, they are now only available through Audio-Technica if you ever need to send them in for repair/replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back