If you could choose only one - L3000 or PS-1?
Oct 11, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #91 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you choose, stay with copper.

you have tried a PS1 with different cables and found copper to be the best?

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #92 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have tried a PS1 with different cables and found copper to be the best?

I tried 2 different pairs, one stock and one recabled balanced with copper (don't know what type) by RSA. I'm just saying that in my opinion, all Grados should be wired with copper, it's just a natural choice, every stock ones from the HP1000 to the GS1000 were wired with that material.

Unless you want to really change the sound signature of the PS1, which is all about fun with a dose of balance, you can go with silver but If you want to improve on what they do best, which is bass & liquidity, my guess is that copper would be more appropriate. Also, I found the highs to be piercing with the B-52 I tried, for long-term listening, even with that RSA recable, so a really good copper wire (high purity) could help smooth out things in this area too.

These claims are based on 20-40 minutes listening time with them and are based on my listening preferences so you can take these with a grain of salt.

I never heard any of these high-end cables but my vote would go for the Apex cable by Enigma Audio if I had to maximize the PS1 potential.

Oct 11, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #93 of 121
^^ thanks for the response.
smily_headphones1.gif

hmmm. the Apex looks interesting and i like those xhadow XLRs. i believe this cable is new.

Apex.JPG

Quote:

The Apex™ Headphone Cable

Constructed with our custom produced Cyro-treated Ultra-Pure Mono-Crystal Ohno Continuous Cast copper wire (Cryo-UPMCOCC) with pure Teflon® insulation. Fashioned in a Litz braid geometry to reduce skin effect and, thus lower resistance to high frequency currents for lower RF losses. Terminated with Xhadow Precision XLR or Furutech Gold 1/4" connectors.

Price: $450 2.5m + $75 each additional .5m

hard to decide. need to think about this some more.

Oct 12, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #94 of 121
i think those are good points. i really like the sound of the PS1. would not want to alter it too much, so copper seems to be a good choice. both the Apex and Black Dragon are all copper. here are the specs.

Apex Headphone Cable

* Constructed with our custom produced Cyro-treated Ultra-Pure Mono-Crystal Ohno Continuous Cast copper wire (Cryo-UPMCOCC) with pure Teflon insulation.

* Fashioned in a Litz braid geometry to reduce skin effect and, thus lower resistance to high frequency currents for lower RF losses.

Black Dragon Headphone Cable

* The cable uses a 4 99.999% pure Copper 21.5 AWG Teflon insulated stranded conductors.

* Each conductor is made up of a special varying size stranding geometry. The copper stranding is mixed with Kevlar stranding to reinforce the conductor. Making it stronger overall and less prone to failure due to the harsh constant flexing a headphone cable receives.

* The conductors are then surrounded by cotton and then a layer of Teflon tape.

* This Cable is unshielded. A shield is not necessary based on the geometry we have developed.

anything interesting to see here?

Oct 12, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #95 of 121
Quote:

got my Grado PS1.

DSCN2311.jpg

they are very nice, but i definitely want to balance them. you don't spend this kind of money on a headphone and then not spend a bit more to take them to that next level.

so do i get black dragon or APS?

Instead of recabling the PS1 why not just cut off the 1/4 plug & put on a 4 pin connecter (aKg1000) type & use a adapter cable 4 pin to Xlr to fit the
B52.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #99 of 121
^^ yeah. it's one of those double letter versions. still not entirely clear about the story. was it that the same enclosings were used for that production and then some spares were used to make the PS1s? something like that.

Oct 14, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #100 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh, i can read that freestyle limited edition watermark on your pair.

quite a collection of dynamics you are assembling there: R10, L3000, HP1000, RS1 and more. all you need is an PS1 and an 010 and you win.
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #104 of 121
Quote:

i've decided on a cable for my Grado PS1.

10' Balanced Black Dragon Headphone cable with Rhodium Furutech XLRs.

now the wait . . .

Rhodium Furutech XLRs
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #105 of 121
Blutarsky has a pair of stock PS-1 and a pair of PS-1 with HF-1 wood housings/SR-325 metal cups and Silver Dragon cable.

The ones with the Silver Dragon sound better in all areas than the stock ones. He's calling them PF-325, or up-armored PSF-dragons (or something like that).

I think the Silver Dragon or APS V3 would be my choice if re-cabling a PS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back