If you could choose between the 530's and the PFE's...
Mar 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #106 of 207
As the creator of this thread, I feel it should be closed. It's pretty much going nowhere and is breaking down into the sort of bickering I wished to avoid.

Just to let you PFE-supporters know that I did want to try the PFE's, I walked seven blocks in the cold to get to an audiologist who is the only one who sells them in my area. I could have ordered them online, but I don't know how Phonak ships, and since I'm leaving for Paris on Sunday, I wanted them in my hands ASAP. So, I got there, but the audiologist did not have them in stock. I threw up my hands in despair.

Just to let you 530-supporters know, I did originally feel that the 530's were not a great value for their money. They're so expensive!--and for a marginal increase in performance. But where their strength lies, IMO, is that they have fewer glaring weaknesses. I knew that the q-Jays had slight sibilance, and originally felt that I could deal with that. I couldn't. I'm sorry. I have tender ears. Therefore, now, knowing that I cannot stand sibilance, the 530's are that much more appealing. I'm willing to spend that much more to get the 530's, in order to avoid sibilance. Who knows? I might feel that the 530's are crap too, and return to this forum to start another thread.

I also want to stress that there are several outside reasons why I chose to go with the Shures over the PFE's. One was that I was getting a fantastic deal from Soundearphones. Two was that, if I "traded-up" through Soundearphones to get my 530's, I wouldn't have to pay a restocking fee to return my q-Jays. Three -- and this is important -- Soundearphones does not carry Phonak PFE's. What's a boy to do?

Ultimately, I think it would have been more expensive to go with the PFE's, since I would have had to pay a rather large restocking fee. That's money going straight to waste. And with the 530's, I got two-day shipping for a few extra bucks so that I can have it in my hands ASAP.

Finally, like I said before, I am allowed to have reservations against the PFE's, since it is new to the market. I'm almost certain that the 530's disintegrating-cable-issue (I exaggerate) did not come into prominence within the first few months. I am allowed to be skeptical of the new product, not because it sucks, which I'm sure it doesn't, but because I don't know what problems I might have to face. Of course, the 530 can have random problems as well, but I feel that the bulk of the issues have been listed, and I feel confident knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I appreciate you guys suggesting the cheaper alternative, but if you'd actually read the original post you would have seen that both are roughly the same cost. It's just a matter of where the money is going. With the PFE's, I'd have to pay a restocking fee, which I feel is a bloody waste. With the 530's, I know exactly what each dollar is being used for, and there is IMO no waste.

I hate waste. To have two earphones (which is what would happen if I kept both the PFE and q-Jays) is a waste. To keep the PFE's and return the q-Jays for a restocking fee, that's a waste. Plus, I'd much prefer a more laid-back, bass/mid-centric 'phone than raw treble extension. It's fatiguing!

Final word: everybody just chill. I'm getting my 530's on Friday.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #108 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosoupforyou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the creator of this thread, I feel it should be closed. It's pretty much going nowhere and is breaking down into the sort of bickering I wished to avoid.

Just to let you PFE-supporters know that I did want to try the PFE's, I walked seven blocks in the cold to get to an audiologist who is the only one who sells them in my area. I could have ordered them online, but I don't know how Phonak ships, and since I'm leaving for Paris on Sunday, I wanted them in my hands ASAP. So, I got there, but the audiologist did not have them in stock. I threw up my hands in despair.

Just to let you 530-supporters know, I did originally feel that the 530's were not a great value for their money. They're so expensive!--and for a marginal increase in performance. But where their strength lies, IMO, is that they have fewer glaring weaknesses. I knew that the q-Jays had slight sibilance, and originally felt that I could deal with that. I couldn't. I'm sorry. I have tender ears. Therefore, now, knowing that I cannot stand sibilance, the 530's are that much more appealing. I'm willing to spend that much more to get the 530's, in order to avoid sibilance. Who knows? I might feel that the 530's are crap too, and return to this forum to start another thread.

I also want to stress that there are several outside reasons why I chose to go with the Shures over the PFE's. One was that I was getting a fantastic deal from Soundearphones. Two was that, if I "traded-up" through Soundearphones to get my 530's, I wouldn't have to pay a restocking fee to return my q-Jays. Three -- and this is important -- Soundearphones does not carry Phonak PFE's. What's a boy to do?

Ultimately, I think it would have been more expensive to go with the PFE's, since I would have had to pay a rather large restocking fee. That's money going straight to waste. And with the 530's, I got two-day shipping for a few extra bucks so that I can have it in my hands ASAP.

Finally, like I said before, I am allowed to have reservations against the PFE's, since it is new to the market. I'm almost certain that the 530's disintegrating-cable-issue (I exaggerate) did not come into prominence within the first few months. I am allowed to be skeptical of the new product, not because it sucks, which I'm sure it doesn't, but because I don't know what problems I might have to face. Of course, the 530 can have random problems as well, but I feel that the bulk of the issues have been listed, and I feel confident knowing what I'm getting myself into.

I appreciate you guys suggesting the cheaper alternative, but if you'd actually read the original post you would have seen that both are roughly the same cost. It's just a matter of where the money is going. With the PFE's, I'd have to pay a restocking fee, which I feel is a bloody waste. With the 530's, I know exactly what each dollar is being used for, and there is IMO no waste.

I hate waste. To have two earphones (which is what would happen if I kept both the PFE and q-Jays) is a waste. To keep the PFE's and return the q-Jays for a restocking fee, that's a waste. Plus, I'd much prefer a more laid-back, bass/mid-centric 'phone than raw treble extension. It's fatiguing!

Final word: everybody just chill. I'm getting my 530's on Friday.

Please visit the link in my sig and be amazed at how much better the Shure SE530's can sound...

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #110 of 207
Quote:

@ VoLTaG3:

Awesomness.

Huh?? what? I'm lost here...lemme take out my SE530s so I can hear...repeat that??....lol..j/k, dude.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #111 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh?? what? I'm lost here...lemme take out my SE530s so I can hear...repeat that??

AAAAAAWWWWWWWEEEEEEESSSSSSOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEENNNNEEEE SSSSSSSSSSS

You shoulda gotten the Push-To-Hear :p

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #112 of 207
Quote:

AAAAAAWWWWWWWEEEEEEESSSSSSOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEENNNNEEEE SSSSSSSSSSS

You shoulda gotten the Push-To-Hear :p

Lol....That thing is the size of my Zune...

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #113 of 207
Oarnura if you plan on...'discussing/debating/arguing/ with the less then intelligent. I would suggest you give just leave it alone. Mark....just woke up on the wrong side of the bed in his brain. To be honest my vote went for the Phonaks saying that the Shure530's is better is....simply a preference. One neutral, the other warm, honestly I sent the Shures back once I had heard both.....To warm the bass clouds, the mids as well as the highs. I vote for Phonaks anyday....so does dfkt. His reviews win hands down over any Cnet bull-crap(OPINION)So thats it for me.....also this was a stupid arguement simply because of this. The Phonaks have not been out long enough to compete. It's like comparing a 2 year old to a grown man. Stupid argument one that should cease to exist before the....less intelligent replies. I agree with the thread creator........this is going...no where. Mark has not replied....ever since a pie flew at him so leave it be
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #115 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the SCL4 which is similar or better than the SE310 I assume and the Phonak are better than the SCL4.

The Phonak is very accurate, has more detail and better bass. No contest.

The SCL4 are the old E4C, an IEM I also owned. The SE310 are several levels above the SCL4, as well as, The Phonaks.

I have been fortunate to be able to purchase many of the popular IEMS from Shure, UE, Ety, Westone, Senn, Denon and now Phonak. As you gain experience with a variety such as the above, you will see (hear) what I am talking about

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #116 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been fortunate to be able to purchase many of the popular IEMS from Shure, UE, Ety, Westone, Senn, Denon and now Phonak. As you gain experience with a variety such as the above, you will see (hear) what I am talking about

Dude get over yourself.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #117 of 207
Quote:

Sorry about that.

Quote:

You really have no reason to justify your decision to anyone. I just wanted you to have all the information instead of "the SE530 is hands down better" posturing by some.

I have no blind loyalty to Phonak. I may try the SE530 eventually. Who knows I might decide they are far better than the PFE. If that happens I will post about it and defend my position. For now I have no desire to upgrade.

Quote:

Products - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

You are most likely no going to have sibilance issues like the Q-Jays with the SE530. Look at the freq. response plot above.

Quote:

Finally, like I said before, I am allowed to have reservations against the PFE's, since it is new to the market. I'm almost certain that the 530's disintegrating-cable-issue (I exaggerate) did not come into prominence
within the first few months.

There have been cable issues with the Phonak.

Quote:

I am allowed to be skeptical of the new product, not because it sucks, which I'm sure it doesn't, but because I don't know what problems I might have to face. Of course, the 530 can have random problems as well, but I feel that the bulk of the issues have been listed, and I feel confident knowing what I'm getting myself into.

No Doubt. No justifications necessary.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #118 of 207
Quote:

No Doubt. No justifications necessary.

Thank you, no, I appreciate all the advice on the Phonaks. But all things considered, the 530's were simply a better choice for me.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #119 of 207
Quote:

To keep the PFE's and return the q-Jays for a restocking fee, that's a waste. Plus, I'd much prefer a more laid-back, bass/mid-centric 'phone than raw treble extension. It's fatiguing!

With that quote there, I'd say you definitely made the right choice. Congratulations!

I have both, and I can say you'll love the E530 smoothness and midrange. That's guaranteed
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #120 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghost87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SCL4 are the old E4C, an IEM I also owned. The SE310 are several levels above the SCL4, as well as, The Phonaks.

Quote:

Dude get over yourself.

????????????????????????????
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back