If you are building a Classical Piano CD collection...
Aug 31, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
41HFFTEAM0L._SS500_.jpg

he seems to get the shaft far too often. his music is beautiful. it's not beautiful in the "bombast of colors, contrasting and intermingling" way, but in a pure, white, blank slate way.

x2. Although I've not heard that album. I have
41XN6W9909L._AA240_.jpg

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 35
David, That a nice well informed overview of classical music pieces for the piano, followed other well thought out recommendations by everyone else. Not everyone is my personal pick for a given piece, that is to be expected, but it is certainly a good starting point for anyone interested investigating the classical piano repertoire futher.

Best wishes in your Masters Program!

-augustwest

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course, its a matter of taste. They're both great recordings. For Debussy, I always choose Michelangeli, I consider him the greatest pianist for French impressonistic music.

X2.

To me Michelangeli is the man for Debussy, although for his preludes I find his Membran set to be superior to his DG set.

Aug 31, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 35
The one quibble I would bring up would be Jacobs over Michelangeli, but that's personal preference. The Michelangeli is still superb, I just happen to like Jacobs a little better.

Sep 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 35
a couple of modest contributions to a great list which I am sure I will use in the future:

Pletnev selection of Scarlatti sonatas is the best I have heard
51ABZ0VV9SL._AA240_.jpg

Since I am a sucker for Ligeti, let me also recommend this Aimard recording
514JTV92T2L._AA240_.jpg

which is part of Sony's Ligeti Edition. Lots of heart and technique on display

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a couple of modest contributions to a great list which I am sure I will use in the future:

Pletnev selection of Scarlatti sonatas is the best I have heard
51ABZ0VV9SL._AA240_.jpg

Since I am sucker for Ligeti, let me also recommend this Aimard recording
514JTV92T2L._AA240_.jpg

which is part of Sony's Ligeti Edition. Lots of heart and technique on display

That ligeti recording is absolutely essential........I would call it the greatest piano music written in the past 30 years.

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #22 of 35
I'm a big fan of the Great Pianists of the 20th Century series. They're out of print, so you have to buy them used and some are not that good of a deal because of collectors. I just got another one the other day and am listening to it now.

41S3D03VRGL._SS500_.jpg

They're not all solo piano, Dinu Lipatti's has 2 concertos, but for most of the pianists, you get a good overview of what styles of music they played. The exception is Glenn Gould's set which doesn't contain any Bach
blink.gif
I think Sony wouldn't license it.

A lot of the music you can get on other discs, and because some of these are collectors items, you can get it for a lot less money.

It does include some pianists that you'll not have heard of who made some beautiful music, especially some musicians from the Soviet Union who didn't do much out of their country. One example is the duo Lyubov Bruk and Mark Taimanov playing mostly 20th century music for 2 pianos, with one Mozart concerto and a Chopin rondo thrown in.

41HNGX88P8L._AA240_.jpg

Edit: The liner notes contain mini biographies of the artists which is very nice for some lesser known pianists.

Sep 1, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #23 of 35
Anyone wishing to add French composers to their collection might also consider these:

515SAJ7W2NL._SS500_.jpg

41PKG8DQAKL._SS500_.jpg

There are many fine Garpard's, but for the complete solo piano music I like Anne Queffelec's recording on Virgin.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #24 of 35
Nice list, DavidMahler! Of course, it is fun to disagree.

Since you like the slow Zimerman version of Chopin's 4th Ballade, I hope you know the Pletnev Liszt Sonata. When you check the time, it is incredibly slow, but when you HEAR it, it isn't slow--it is right. It is amazing to hear this along with a top notch fast version like Argerich's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great list! I am very happy that you have included Scriabin to this wonderful list. To be very honest I am a big Scriabin fan (look at the avatar) and I feel that his music needs to get more promoted. His Sonata's are just absolutely delightful and profound, especially his later ones. Additionally I must state that I am glad that you have provided great recommendations for Debussy. For a very long time now I was looking for a Debussy set and I think I might have found one finally! Thank you very much David!!!
rs1smile.gif

Whoa, another big Scriabin fan! I agree with DavidMahler that Pletnev is fine here. I love his Op. 11 preludes. Although the SQ is bad, it is fun to check out the performances by Horowitz, Kissin, Pogorelich, et. al on Youtube. Just search "Scriabin".!

Oct 7, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly Richter. Why? Because I've been listening to his stuff ALOT lately. So my opinions are a little biased ATM.
biggrin.gif

X2 !!!

Oct 7, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice list, DavidMahler! Of course, it is fun to disagree.

Since you like the slow Zimerman version of Chopin's 4th Ballade, I hope you know the Pletnev Liszt Sonata. When you check the time, it is incredibly slow, but when you HEAR it, it isn't slow--it is right. It is amazing to hear this along with a top notch fast version like Argerich's.

Whoa, another big Scriabin fan! I agree with DavidMahler that Pletnev is fine here. I love his Op. 11 preludes. Although the SQ is bad, it is fun to check out the performances by Horowitz, Kissin, Pogorelich, et. al on Youtube. Just search "Scriabin".!

Sweet! I am going to do that later on, once I have found some time for myself.
BTW I have noticed we have forgotten to add the Spanish pianist wonders!!
Granados, Albeniz and Falla. Some great works they have written IMO.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #27 of 35
I would choose Moravec over just about anyone in Debussy, although the music is strong enough to work regardless.

I highly recommend Granados.

Schumann's Album for the Young - Michel Block on O.M. is my favorite recording.

John Ireland's piano works are delicate, but beautiful. I'm surprised they aren't more widely played. Parkin on Chandos does them nicely.

Oct 8, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 35
"I would choose Moravec over just about anyone in Debussy, although the music is strong enough to work regardless."

I totally agree. Moravec is in a class of his own.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back