If the Senn HD650 is in the same league as the Beyer Dynamic DT880, then why...
Mar 22, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #16 of 171
DT 880 and HD 595 are the two big values among the top-of-the-line headphones. SA5000, HD650, K701, all generally cost a notch more, even though the five models are usually held to be comparable. But the difference in price is usually more like $100 than $200.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #18 of 171
Connectz,

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #19 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Personally I wouldn't dream of selling the DT880 and getting an HD650. Why? Because DT880 is the perfect headphone for my sonic tastes... I literally am not interested in switching to other cans (unless a second/third headphone for the fun of it), because I'm fulfilled by these completely. When something fits your tastes to perfection, will you go looking for something "superior?"

I already know the HD650 is less lively/energetic on top, bassier, and that the comfort will be much worse to me than the DT880. Deal-killers without ever even hearing the HD650. Being intimately familiar with HD580/600 already and knowing HD650 is a refinement of those and in the same family... forget it, HD650 is out. How can a headphone be "superior" when it doesn't offer what you're looking for sonically?

Headphones are not like baseball teams, jockeying for position and winning championships. This is an illusion created and sustained only here at head-fi... and it's ridiculous, if you think about it. Much saner is the view that personal preference decides what headphone is right for whom, not "superiority." Better/worse are subjective judgment calls, and numbers don't count (if you think so then you also must believe McDonald's food is delicious, because of the number of people who eat there).

I have a feeling that I am going to like those brighter and airier "trebles" on the 880. Plus, the thing that really got me to pick those is the many times that I have read, they make female vocals sound heavenly. I want that in a headphone. When I tried out the DT 770's last week, i absolutely LOVED the sound of them. I was listening to Tamia's "You Put A Move On My Heart" (R&B) and damn, she never sounded so good before. Another song I lisetened to was Rebekah Del Rio's "Llorando" (the acappela song from the super wierd movie Mulholland Drive) and on any equipment I have heard that song before, the headphones or speakers usually distort her long and loud notes but not the 770, it handled her notes like a dream and they sounded so silky smooth and alive.

I still want to try this 650 though.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jim580
Connectz,

Oh okay CousCous and jim580. That price is looking REALLY tempting.

Mar 22, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #21 of 171
It must be my familiarity with the HD580/600, but I'm not the least bit interested in trying the HD650. K701 has my attention though, I could easily see myself selling the K501 and getting those to team up with the DT880
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 171
Quote:

When something fits your tastes to perfection, will you go looking for something "superior?"

That's the whole point of upgrading, isn't it? You can't realistically say that a thing is absolute perfection for you until you've tried everything there is to try.

I mean.. you find something that fits your tastes to perfection.. and a few months later, something else is released that comes even closer to the perfection that you thought you had already achieved. Or you discover for the first time something that has been available for years, and you realize that you love it even more. So on, and so forth.

There are many reasons to keep looking.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:11 AM Post #23 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
DT 880 and HD 595 are the two big values among the top-of-the-line headphones. SA5000, HD650, K701, all generally cost a notch more, even though the five models are usually held to be comparable.

Personally I wouldn't place the HD 595 in the same league as HD 650 and K 701.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 171
It is a well established belief amongst us Head-Fi'ers that the HD650/600, K701, DT880 and SA5000 are all at the same level. While I don't want to turn this thread into another Senn vs AKG vs Beyer vs Sony argument (there are plenty out there already), I have to say that the DT880 do seem priced very reasonably. In fact, I would call it a bargain. The Senn, AKG and Sony are much more expensive and have MRSPs of almost double that of the DT880! Also, the supply of DT880 is always there, meaning there aren't the same long waiting lists associated, especially recently, with AKG. I'm still waiting for my K701, which should arrive soon. Whether or not I like the K701, my next pair of cans will probably be the DT880/990. IMO, there is no way of telling which pair is the best or better without listening to them yourself. Therefore, if my wallet allows, I would not hesitate to get a pair of Beyers.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #25 of 171
Where I live the new DT 880s actually are a bit more expensive than the HD 650s.
HD 650 :~ $255
DT 880 :~ $275
Shipping included.
I do expect a new Senn HD within months, seems the product is at the end of the life cycle and they are selling the last batches.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #26 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Where I live the new DT 880s actually are a bit more expensive than the HD 650s.
HD 650 :~ $255
DT 880 :~ $275
Shipping included.
I do expect a new Senn HD within months, seems the product is at the end of the life cycle and they are selling the last batches.

Got my DT 880 recently in Dusseldorf in a well known big electronic shop for 179 €. Unfortunately they refused to lower the price any further.
evil_smiley.gif
This price seems to be the bottom end also for internet shops - at least for those, which have the cans in stock. HD 650 can be had online for 201€ upwards, so there's not much price difference eventually.

Mar 22, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 171
Mar 22, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 171
Quote:

It must be my familiarity with the HD580/600, but I'm not the least bit interested in trying the HD650.

so that's why I haven't heard back from you about the HD650
biggrin.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:15 PM Post #29 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Got my DT 880 recently in Dusseldorf in a well known big electronic shop for 179 €.

Is it really the new DT 880, Christian?
If so my habit of avoiding Blödmarkt, Saturn et al isn't that wise after all.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #30 of 171
I own both and I don't understand how people can hear the Sen 650, or even the 600 as being less detailed than the Beyer 880...

Both the Senns resolve much more information in my system. With the Senns on complex music you can really hear much more than you can with the Beyer, which sounds a little confused with demanding material.

If you don't have a good system (no real detail for the headphone to reproduce) then maybe the bright treble of the 880 can provide a false sense of detail that is missing on the 600 or 650.

Also because of the slow bass the Beyer 880 has no real sense of pace...the Senns get this much better.

There are fanboys on Headfi that say these phones are in the same league but the simple truth is that they are not. Maybe they are when played through a walkman or a computer but not with a good system.

The Senns are also used by recording engineers to monitor lots of high quality recordings...critical applications where every detail needs to be heard. They would not use an 880 for this simply because it does not resolve enough information.

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back