If the next version of beats were actually good would you buy them?
Feb 1, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #16 of 31
I can't afford a new headphone atm, but I voted yes because I would consider buying the Beats if they 
a)  Had good sound quality
b)  Were a good/reasonable value for their sound quality
c)  Were constructed in a way that felt more sturdy to me

There are other requirements as well, but these are broadly what I would want improved in the Beats before considering buying them.  Assuming these problems were fixed, I don't see any reason other than Monster's poor business ethics to not consider a new headphone based on its merits.

Feb 1, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #17 of 31
Define "good." If by good you mean a competent bass heavy can (ala the DT770 or D1100), I would still say no because I'm not looking for that tonal balance. If you mean something that's balanced, maybe a little on the warm side, with punch and clarity...well, this is all academic because Monster will never release anything like this, but if they did, then I might actually consider it. But not if it's some lurid color and has the name of some celebrity I couldn't give two fetid dingo kidneys about scrawled all over the headband.

tl;dr: If Monster released a version of the Beats that was conservatively styled and had a balanced sound, maybe. Otherwise, no.

Feb 1, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #18 of 31
It all depends on the price. Even if they were good I'd doubt they'd have a good value ratio, but if they did I would consider buying them.

Since when have they been coming out with another Beats set? You don't see Sennheiser coming out with a new set of headphones every 5 months. To me this new version just seems like another way for Monster to get into the pockets of dumb comsumers. I doubt they will show any improvement over the last.

Like I said though, if they are of good value, don't look stupid, and actually do sound good Monster would at the very least gain a small amount of respect from me.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 31
No. The current ones look gay. They sound pretty damn bad for the price and I would get so much attention from ignorant noobs who think "OMG HE HAS BEATS! THEY ARE THE BEST HEADPHONES IN THE WORLD!!" which will just annoy me, leaving me to destroy the new Beats anyway. Even if the new ones did sound better and look better, I still wouldn't get them because of the brand and all the hype of them. I hate that kind of stuff. I'd rather get an unpopular but much better set of headphones.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #22 of 31
I don't think a head-fi'er is serious about his love for audio if he would disregard a brand because of popularity.

If Beats made a great sounding can, you're darn right I'd buy them.  I'm in it for the sound.  I couldn't care less who's name is on the shell.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #23 of 31
As long as the set carries a reasonable price, then I don't really see anything wrong with buying 'em.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #24 of 31
I don't think a head-fi'er is serious about his love for audio if he would disregard a brand because of popularity.

If Beats made a great sounding can, you're darn right I'd buy them.  I'm in it for the sound.  I couldn't care less who's name is on the shell.

Never said I love audio though haha. I am loyal to audio companies who make great products and do not produce crap and over advertise them (ahem..Dr. Dre's headphones, Monster cables and Skullcandy). I like Beyerdynamic, for example because at least the DT880, DT990 and T1 look great, sound great and are not over-advertised with outrageous statements made about the audio quality. They are also extremely comfortable. Audio products should influence people, not the other way around.

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #25 of 31
I support quality sound regardless of how they do it. Loyalty is another word for biased.

Quote:
Quote:

Never said I love audio though haha. I am loyal to audio companies who make great products and do not produce crap and over advertise them (ahem..Dr. Dre's headphones, Monster cables and Skullcandy). I like Beyerdynamic, for example because at least the DT880, DT990 and T1 look great, sound great and are not over-advertised with outrageous statements made about the audio quality. They are also extremely comfortable. Audio products should influence people, not the other way around.

Feb 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #26 of 31
Well I don't :p I'd explain why but I can't be bothered in this heat and it'd be like a 2000 word essay. I just don't like how companies like Skullcandy etc suck in the consumer to buy their products and advertise them as really good headphones. It is dishonest.

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 31

Quote:
I support quality sound regardless of how they do it. Loyalty is another word for biased.

Yes but when you buy Beats, more than supporting the sound of the headphones, you are supporting their marketing techniques and practices, which I agree with Stang, are dishonest and manipulative.  I am also biased against large companies due to certain recent political events which will not be mentioned. 
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #28 of 31
100% agree with you! :D On ebay I usually purchase from companies who are smaller (ie: less feedback but still a really good score, sells less products etc).

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #29 of 31
It's not that the beats are bad in the first place. For mainstream consumer 'phones they are fairly good. (the studio version at least) I actually like the beats not because of how they sound or look, but because they are getting regular people into higher end audio then the crappy ibuds most people listen to their music on. The beats are clearly an upgrade over those. Now, back to the poll. No I would not buy them even if they were good, because I dislike Monster and see them as the new Bose. They overcharge for their products and as a value conscious person I just can't see buying their products. And even if they were good, I'm sure I could find better from another more reputable manufacturer.

Feb 2, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #30 of 31
If Chrystler made a cheaper car that looked and performed as good as a high end BMW, would you buy it?

what's the point of these hypotheticals. I mean, Monster/Beats will always cost 4x what they're worth, and even if they were better...would they be AS GOOD as other stuff out there? Or in a reasonable price bracket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back